• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mercury poisoning & enteroviruses

Sinclair

Actually chelators are less toxic in general than commonly used drugs. The LD50 for DMPS is 22 grams/kg in rats and 8 grams/kg in dogs. The LD50 for aspirin is 1.5 g/kg in rats and 700 mg in dogs.

The main reason mercury is so toxic to life is its affinity for sulfhydryl ligands which are found in DNA, enzymes, proteins and active sites of transporter proteins.The active site of cytochrome P450 contains a heme-iron center with the iron tethered to the protein via a cysteine thiol ligand. This would presumably make it susceptible to Hg poisoning.
The following article shows how mercury affects the expression of many cardiac cytochrome P450 genes. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24472606

Not all detoxification occurs in the liver - many other cells in the body can perform this function. The metabolism of lamivudine is not affected by hepatic impairment http://www.drugs.com/ppa/lamivudine-3tc.html So the fact that you have a problem with lamivudine does not mean you will necessarily have a problem with chelators. Lamivudine is metabolized by phosphorylation while DMPS is oxidized to the disulphide, and excreted by the kidneys.

My point is that chelation can improve liver function itself by removing mercury which causes liver dysfunction. Some people do have problems with chelation, but often I think it is due to not starting low enough and not perservering.

A member of the Yahoo FDC group recently posted his progress report after 6 years of chelation (much longer than the average person requires). Originally he had "tons of food sensitivities, extremely poor recovery from exercise, multiple chemical sensitivity, severe sun sensitivity (this symptom came after I started chelation), extremely low body temps, and a whole host of other symptoms that made it very hard to get through the day. Another point to make is that I’ve had serious symptoms even as a young child such as hot flashes, insomnia, anxiety, serious allergies, asthma, etc..."

His food allergies were so bad he lived on raw milk and kefir for 4 years, eating anything else would make his stomach knot up. "Most of my serious symptoms are GONE. Multiple Chemical Sensitivity, its gone (it was such a nightmare!!!), and I can finally exercise and feel like my body heals and recovers properly. Nearly all of my symptoms are gone. My digestion works good now, that was such an immense pain. Nearly all of my food intolerances are gone. There were years when I couldn’t be out in the sun without two long sleeve shirts and a wide brim hat, otherwise I would get terrible porphyria symptoms, and that is gone as well."

So I think it would be worthwhile for most people with ME to at least give chelation a trial (if they don't have amalgams). An exacerbation or improvement in symptoms is confirmation that mercury is a problem for you.

That said there are a couple of members on phoenix rising (Johnmac and stridor) who started off with chelation and then made further improvements when they added methylation.

@David Hammond,

Many thanks for such a complete reply. You are very kind for this indeed.

I visited a biological dentist this week. To my surprise, she said the silver colored things covering my teeth pieces number 19 and 30 are not ammalgams, but other metal-made devices. She was not able to discard whether I had ammalgams in the past, though. Besides, in the last days I was recalling that I maybe had an unsafe ammalgam removal 5-8 years ago. And I cannot discard other sources during life time of course (I recall playing with a broken thermometer at some point in my childhood, for instance!!!).

She said that due to my poor detox, I should try to remove these metals and put porcelain in substitution, anyway. And I'll cross-check, maybe with the dentist who likely practiced an unsafe removal in the past.

She hypothesized on chronic candidasis as well (indeed I was searching for candida when I discovered its link with inorganic mercury metabolism a couple of months ago). But so far my marker for candida is moderate only, so I am not clear I should give it a priority.

But if eventually I have no ammalgams but 'other metals' in my mouth and (if I am reading you correctly) a detox or metabolism imparement (liver or somewhere else) does not oppose to chelators intake (following FDC, low doses, of course),would it be correct to give it a try to chelators right away even before trying to optimize my detox or metabolism mechanisms by other means? From your previous reply I understand yes.

As I mentioned before, anti-enterovirus (immunomodulators) + B12 methylation support has been the basis of my treatment with noticeable improvements, but still crashing, 85% of food intolerances, impaired digestion, fatigue, and dependent on treatment of course. At this point I am trying to define which is my immediate next step. Mercury/chelation is my first candidate, but I want to be sure it is the momentum, that there is nothing else I can do before either to optimize chelation or improve my general health condition (detox, metabolism, digestion) and that I'll be minimizing the risk of worsening my condition.

Thank you very very much.

S.

PS. And phosphorylation...something new to explore...

Last edited:

melamine

However, at this point I am close to the conviction that I cannot get further improvements w/o improving my natural detox pathways: I cannot tolerate lamivudine antiviral (tried it for 9 days) and I assume I wouldn't be able to tolerate chelators either.

@Sinclair - I too am extremely sensitive to chelators and for that reason had purchased a portable FIR sauna. They are a highly recommended investment for providing the least stressful detox pathway. I had a low tolerance for mine at first but have been able to work out a tolerance schedule more recently after taking a hiatus from it for many months.

@David Hammond,
I visited a biological dentist this week. To my surprise, she said the silver colored things covering my teeth pieces number 19 and 30 are not ammalgams, but other metal-made devices. She was not able to discard whether I had ammalgams in the past, though. Besides, in the last days I was recalling that I maybe had an unsafe ammalgam removal 5-8 years ago. And I cannot discard other sources during life time of course (I recall playing with a broken thermometer at some point in my childhood, for instance!!!).

She said that due to my poor detox, I should try to remove these metals and put porcelain in substitution, anyway. And I'll cross-check, maybe with the dentist who likely practiced an unsafe removal in the past.

But if eventually I have no ammalgams but 'other metals' in my mouth and (if I am reading you correctly) a detox or metabolism imparement (liver or somewhere else) does not oppose to chelators intake (following FDC, low doses, of course),would it be correct to give it a try to chelators right away even before trying to optimize my detox or metabolism mechanisms by other means? From your previous reply I understand yes.

As I mentioned before, anti-enterovirus (immunomodulators) + B12 methylation support has been the basis of my treatment with noticeable improvements, but still crashing, 85% of food intolerances, impaired digestion, fatigue, and dependent on treatment of course. At this point I am trying to define which is my immediate next step. Mercury/chelation is my first candidate, but I want to be sure it is the momentum, that there is nothing else I can do before either to optimize chelation or improve my general health condition (detox, metabolism, digestion) and that I'll be minimizing the risk of worsening my condition.

The metal fillings in your mouth may contain nickel. Some people are allergic to nickel and will have a problem chelating it, most won't. You can test if you are allergic by taping a nickel coin to your skin for a couple of days and see if a rash forms. And yes, you could try frequent low dose chelation before trying to optimize your detox mechanisms. I prefer DMPS for mercury - you could try 3 mg every 6 hours to start.

Something you should address before chelating is the state of your adrenals. You could do a 24 hour saliva cortisol test which includes DHEA. If these are low, you could feel a lot better just through supplementing these two hormones. Chelating without adrenal support can make the experience a lot rougher. If you can't afford the saliva test you can get a good idea of adrenal function using Dr Rinds metabolic chart
http://www.drrind.com/therapies/metabolic-temperature-graph

Cortisol made quite a difference to my energy levels. I tried to supplement DHEA a number of times but it caused problems, now I can take 20 mg a day and my energy levels are normal.

Dave.

@David Hammond,

Many thanks for such a complete reply. You are very kind for this indeed.

She hypothesized on chronic candidasis as well (indeed I was searching for candida when I discovered its link with inorganic mercury metabolism a couple of months ago). But so far my marker for candida is moderate only, so I am not clear I should give it a priority.

Thank you very very much.

S.

PS. And phosphorylation...something new to explore...
Please think long and hard about removing your amalgams now. I hate to tell you that you sound a lot like me. I had completely recovered from CFS/ME, completely. I had regenerated my health beyond belief of what anybody including me thought possible. I was 42 years old and truly more beautiful, fit, happy and energetic than I had ever been. I had never looked like that in my whole life, the features of my face even changed. Then, I had two amalgams removed and now I am back to square one.

The dentist used a rubber dam, suction hoses, goggles, etc. I was not aware that I should take precautions in terms of supping vitamin C, chlorella, etc. I walked out of there in a daze and felt like a zombie for two weeks, I could not function.

My mind was so bad, I couldn't even put the thought together that the removal had done this to me. It took two weeks to get my mind clear enough to figure this out. I spoke to the dentist and told him he didn't supply me with a separate oxygen supply and that I felt poisoned. Of course even though he claimed to be a bio dentist, he took no responsibility and just dismissed me completely.

Please check with Hal Huggins' office in Colorado for a dentist referral in your area. These dentists are crazy I swear from all the mercury they are exposed to. That is why they have such a high suicide rate, IMHO.

I am using an FIR Sauna (you can look into the Hubbard protocol, but I am doing it way more gently for now) to finally detox and may do Cutler's protocol eventually. I have started on Freddd's b12 titration and am having mostly positive results. It is affecting my already not happy liver though, as I am finding there to be a lot of die off and other detoxification start up happening. I take enemas, colonics, castor oil packs and am doing a liver flush tonight (my 9th one) among other things to help my liver.

I don't believe I see a lot of understanding of how important clearing out the detox pathway organs are before chelating.

You can do a simple kidney cleanse with herbs, colon cleansing and ongoing liver cleansing, FIR saunas, etc. to help the effects of the methylation, which I don't believe are all due to the folate and potassium issues. The body is dealing with actual debris created by detoxification which it needs help removing.

If I had to do it over again, I believe I would have just had my two teeth pulled, not that this would work for everyone, but I wouldn't put myself through this hell again.

Good luck to you:)

TropicalKid

melamine

@tropicalkid - Thank you for sharing your story and for the good advice. Undoubtedly I've experienced similar reactions as yours in my distant past, but was not aware enough at the times to know. Although it was already "too late," I went to a Huggins trained dentist to remove the few remaining amalgams and for some other biological procedures. He is in Puerto Vellarta, MX and if anyone is interested I can give them contact info.

@melamine
I'm glad you had yours done by a Huggins doc, that is great:) I don't think it was "too late" if it was done properly. I'm sure you will get the mercury out. You mentioned you are using the FIR Sauna. It's a blessing I believe.

I wasn't going in mine until I started on Freddd's protocol and could sweat easily again.

I wanted to ask you if you had thought of the sauna affecting your methylation protocol at all? I am thinking it could burn through b12 by raising the Nitrous Oxide which it has been shown to do for CFS patients. Raising the NO is thought to be a good thing as it relaxes the blood vessels and makes it easier for thick blood to move around and raises BH4 which I believe is critical in the Kreb's cycle and proven to be low with CFS'ers.

Do you think it might be affecting your b12 levels? I am new to Freddd's protocol so I am keeping my eye on all of these things to avoid a crash.

I had massive die off today which I haven't had in a long time. It was not Folate/potassium deficiencies. I know this because I did a water enema and released lots of bugs, yeast, etc. Which is always welcome but is hell on the liver.

Gotta run!

TropicalKid

melamine

@tropicalkid - Sorry I forgot to get back to your question before now:

I wanted to ask you if you had thought of the sauna affecting your methylation protocol at all? I am thinking it could burn through b12 by raising the Nitrous Oxide which it has been shown to do for CFS patients. Raising the NO is thought to be a good thing as it relaxes the blood vessels and makes it easier for thick blood to move around and raises BH4 which I believe is critical in the Kreb's cycle and proven to be low with CFS'ers.

First of all, I stopped supplementing MB12/folate etc. around the time of your question, because when trying Methyl as well as the other forms of B12 in RichVank's protocol at a variety of doses, I never felt energized and suspected it might be the reason I was feeling worse. There were other factors to consider, so no way of knowing.

I haven't looked into any nitric oxide connection but I avoid supplements known to increase it because of the way it can affect my nervous system. If sauna increases it I don't want to know! because it would only raise conflict and I'm comfortable with my routine at this time.

Since finishing a Clindamycin Rx a few days ago I've been concentrating on restoring my gut with a variety of probiotics and resistant starch/potato starch and other fibers, and maintaining certain changes to my diet.