• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mental health: Is ME/CFS Brain Fog consistent with an Attention Deficit Disorder?

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I also think 'ADHD' is a bit of an arbitrary designation. As we're familiar, there's no biomarkers, no objective tests that I'm aware of.
That doctor has some bad reviews too. Not that I can go to one of his clinics nor would I want to as he doesn't seem to mention ME/CFS at all so maybe doesn't believe in it or thinks is it just ADD by another name.

However, he does do Spect brain tests. I don't have his books but I think one or two reviews I read said by the Spect testing he can actually see what kind of ADHD a person has so at least he's come up with some kind of metric. From what I'm reading it sounds like his offices do two of them--one with little brain activity and then after filling out a long questionaire. So from what I can tell a before and after.

Though I will say from some of the hypoperfusion he talks about, it reminds me of the brain scans that have been mentioned and used in research studies on us.

If I could do something to help with the hypoperfusion issues (which I think I may have with the POTS) maybe I could at least think better. ??

Last edited:

lenora

My daughter is now 52 yrs. of age, has a highly successful career and it's her niche in the world. I'm so glad, b/c there were many times when I did wonder.

When she was younger, I knew something was different, but what. Doctor after doctor had no explanation and then I read about ADHD. Like ME, etc., if there isn't a treatment then it doesn't exist.

She was never on medication b/c it didn't exist at the time. Finally, boys were the victims of it, then girls also. By then she had ruined her school life and we transferred her to a private school. She flourished....it took me doing her daily work with her again at home, the teacher wouldn't even put homework on the blackboard (now whiteboards), but the private schools didn't let anything pass. It worked and she even went on to an upscale university. I swear that getting her through school was the biggest challenge of my life. Our relationship suffered.....if off/on, but at least now it's recognized and parents know what they're up against.

But the time, patience and overall frustration was hard on both of us. It doesn't matter what their IQ is, if there's some "glitch" in the brain (whatever the cause), then there are problems.

Personally, I think it can happen at any point in life (cause may be different), but it's a tough one. Yours, L.