• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Melatonin in the UK

I know that melatonin has always been prescription-only in the UK, but up until now I've never had any issue bringing it back from the US or buying it from iHerb.

However, today iHerb wouldn't let me add it to my cart and I was told that it's because it's recently been added to a new list of restricted products.

Has anyone else noticed this change?

Have you found a way around it? ( only trips to the US look like they're out of the question for the foreseeable future!)

I really don't want to pay double at Biovea but it looks like it might be my only option ( if that's even still available???).

It absolutely sucks when I've been so ill with insomnia for the past 3 years and the doctors will only prescribe me 3, 3.75mg Zopiclone tablets a week. The doctors don't seem to care that I'm unable to sleep for the other 4 nights and seem to think that preventing me from having a sleep pill addiction is more important than me being able to function in day to day life and my ability to hold down a job, maintain a relationship and study ( I've had to give up a midwifery degree and a masters degree because of how severe it's been). Melatonin was the only thing out of countless things I've tried which took the edge off. Urgh, I'm so fed up of this fight.

Celandine

My daughter was prescribed melatonin by the paediatrician who first diagnosed her. It didn't do anything for her, but thought I'd mention it as this was an NHS consultant so it is possible to get it on the NHS. Also here's the NICE drug info on it including indications for use--https://bnf.nice.org.uk/drug/melatonin.html

Maybe try another GP?

Thank you so much for the recommendations, I hadn't heard of either of those sites.

Unfortunately neither sells 10mg of time-released melatonin which is what I usually take ( sorry I should've said that earlier). I've tried taking less and taking tablets which aren't time-released and they do very little for me.

I will try the plain 10mg Swanson if I get really stuck though ( and just pray that customs doesn't bin them/return them to sender due to these awful new UK restrictions).

My daughter was prescribed melatonin by the paediatrician who first diagnosed her. It didn't do anything for her, but thought I'd mention it as this was an NHS consultant so it is possible to get it on the NHS. Also here's the NICE drug info on it including indications for use--https://bnf.nice.org.uk/drug/melatonin.html

Maybe try another GP?

Every GP that I've spoken to has cited those NICE guidelines and the fact that they're only licensed to prescribe melatonin to adults over 55 ( and I'm 32), so sadly I don't think it's worth trying any more. They can only prescribe teeny doses as well which would barely touch my insomnia.

Thank you for the suggestion though! I'm desperate for help right now and so I really appreciate people reaching out with ideas.

splusholia

Every GP that I've spoken to has cited those NICE guidelines and the fact that they're only licensed to prescribe melatonin to adults over 55 ( and I'm 32), so sadly I don't think it's worth trying any more. They can only prescribe teeny doses as well which would barely touch my insomnia.

Thank you for the suggestion though! I'm desperate for help right now and so I really appreciate people reaching out with ideas.

I bet it’s to do with Brexit. I’m in the UK and have had if prescribed - I’m 35. Have you tried eBay? Also, circadian rhythm training and selenocysteine (taken in the morning) ultimately helped to get me off melatonin (as melatonin release in the evening is made possible in the morning when light enters the eyes) etc (also I read a book called ‘The Sleep Book’ to help with my sleep anxiety that I got after so much trouble sleeping).

I bet it’s to do with Brexit. I’m in the UK and have had if prescribed - I’m 35. Have you tried eBay? Also, circadian rhythm training and selenocysteine (taken in the morning) ultimately helped to get me off melatonin (as melatonin release in the evening is made possible in the morning when light enters the eyes) etc (also I read a book called ‘The Sleep Book’ to help with my sleep anxiety that I got after so much trouble sleeping).

Please may I ask how much they were able to prescribe you i.e. doseage + length of time?

I did look for it on eBay but it seems like supplies on there are very limited now ( and pricey!) because of these blinking new restrictions. Someone is actually selling 360 tablets for £108! That used to cost me £35!

I haven't heard of 'The Sleep Book' so I'll definitely look into that, thank you! Nor, have I come across Selenocysteine. Is that the same as/ similar to Selenium? I found out I had a Selenium deficiency a while ago, but whenever I ate Brazil nuts to up my intake it made the insomnia much worse ( as do nuts in general).

Woah, the first video makes some rather big claims.

The second one reminded me of the fact that I have a cyst on my pineal gland. I've always wondered if that's what's interferring with my melatonin production. The neurologist I saw said mine wasn't big enough to cause symptoms, but elsewhere I've read that anything over 0.5mm can ( mine was 0.6mm when last checked a few years ago), and that it's not just the size of the cyst but also where on the pineal gland it's located.

keenly

We make melatonin via AM UV light in the eye.

Seee the sun rise daily, and get out in the sun all AM.

Then block blue and green light at night, in eyes and on skin.

seamyb

Used to be able to get it on Amazon ffs!

I get mine from biovea (spelt right hopefully), but it takes a few weeks to arrive. Iherb used to be the go to until like the day after Brexit. But it was worth it, who needs a night's sleep when you can writhe about on the floor in the sheer ecstasy of knowing you're sovereign or something.

Emmarose47

Hi sorry to hear your struggle ..
I use promethazine anti histamine for sleep but you may have already tried this

I’m 28 and my U.K. NHS GP prescribed me melatonin as I was having trouble regulating my sleep cycle.

I think I have non 24 sleep wake cycle disorder but it hasn’t been formally diagnosed.

Anyway my GP prescribed it and it was his suggestion and it has helped me a lot to regulate my sleep cycle.

Im not sure about this age 55 rule as I am younger than that.