• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ME Research UK announces funding to study viral causes of ME

Pyrrhus

ME Research UK announces funding to study viral causes of ME
https://www.meresearch.org.uk/calling-all-researchers-2/

Excerpt:
ME Research UK said:
Calling all researchers
12 May 2021

ME Research UK, with the financial support of The Gordon Parish Charitable Trust, is pleased to an announce an open call for applications from researchers wishing to investigate the viral causes of ME/CFS.

For this latest phase of funding, a total of £200,000 is available to support scientifically robust biomedical research studies at appropriate host institutions worldwide.

Many people affected by ME/CFS report that their symptoms began after a viral infection, and there has been significant research into how specific viruses might act as a trigger for the illness, although no association has yet been confirmed. In addition, the emergence of post-COVID syndrome (or long COVID), which parallels many of the symptoms of ME/CFS, has highlighted the potential importance of this association.

The late Dr Gordon Parish had a life-long interest in viruses and their role in ME/CFS, and the funding from his Trust is available specifically to support more research in this area.

unto

hello, I had come to the conclusion that the cause of ME was probably a "persistent unknown virus" because in 36 years of illness I have noticed symptoms similar to mine in some close people (family, relatives, friends), some known 20 years after the onset (similar-influ) of my ME and someone who never came to my house .....; now with the long-COVID cases I'm a bit confused ... :xeyes:

however, I remain convinced of my opinion ...., certainly this research is a good thing ...; if I were a researcher I would try to analyze, with powerful techniques and microscopes, the tissues / organs of ME patients, because I am convinced that the germ is still there, present, ready to make a sore throat come if I expose myself too much. ... so I propose to us patients to donate our tissues (from biopsies, surgeries, etc.) of course first a team of experienced researchers must be formed ..... good night

Aidan Walsh

Why it always has to be a virus? :( Why not have an open mind and look for bacteria, protozoa, parasites too?

Genetic causes 100% no doubts nothing to do with infections. If we had bad infections our white blood cells would be running ballistic they are not & antibodies are not infections they are past events the immune system resolved. The same for 99.9% of so-called Lyme literates they all have ME/CFS

Boba

Genetic causes 100% no doubts nothing to do with infections. If we had bad infections our white blood cells would be running ballistic they are not & antibodies are not infections they are past events the immune system resolved. The same for 99.9% of so-called Lyme literates they all have ME/CFS

Are you a fan of the metabolic trap then?

BrightCandle

Well but 200 000GBP is nothing for a serious scaled study :(

Given the millions put into PACE study and subsequent studies on exercise are still getting funding it is a drop in the ocean in the opposite direction. The thing is before Covid we already knew viral infections caused ME/CFS right? 85% of people report getting sick before the start of symptoms and it has multiple times coincided with epidemic outbreaks, like SARS which has still left hundreds badly impacted.

The UK medical science groups need a kick around the head apparently because it is always so little too late and in the meantime they are still torturing patients with GET and CBT. That crime against humanity needs to stop, they need to stop testing on long haulers "just to see" and they really need to stop on ME patients. Until the NHS stops dithering on the guidelines and puts out a real change and commits to real research fuck them all, they made many of us much much worse.

What we still don't know is if the virus caused the body to go into some state as a consequence or if it is still the virus, you would have thought in the 80 years or so since the outbreak in St Thomas' hospital they might have bothered to check, but nope.