• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ME/CFS Research: Herpes Autoimmune Spectrum Disorder

Status
Not open for further replies.

YippeeKi YOW !!

I indicated there seems to be a cure, here in this 39 page document. If only somebody would help me.
One of the things this slimy little snail-trail of an illness has taught me is that waiting for someone else to help me, unless it's something mundane like occasional shopping, is pretty much the epitome of futility. And hoping that someone else can interpret this illness for us, even our nearest and etc, will produce a very long wait.

@joshua.leisk 's doc, altho long in terms of pages, contains a lot of page-space of visuals. The brief and extremely well-written text parts might be digestible for you in very small bites.

But the bottom line is that The Protocol involves numerous substances, most at really high levels, and I think it might be a stopper for you, right there ....

Could your TCM practitioner help you with this? I mean the reading and interpreting part? It's not entirely in their wheelhouse, but it is a form of treatment that they might find interesting ....:hug::hug:

YippeeKi YOW !!

on Tuesday morning I got up, walked down to my fridge and blacked out cold on my kitchen floor.
Omigod, omigod, omigod ..... it's an incredibly fortunate miracle that you didnt hit your head on something on the way down. From this point forward you can potentially consider yourself uber-blessed !!!

The calm equanimity in your reporting of what would have scare the bejesus outta most of us is truly impressive, Hoosier :woot::woot::hug::hug::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: !!!!

PS ..... How are you doing/feeling today, Hoosier?

EDITED FOR PS ... left typos alone

Thanks for putting this together Josh. Really interested in your protocol. I still take your happy stack on and off every once in a while. :)

Is there any concern about liver damage with this protocol? The doses across the board seem to be rather high(usually 2-3x normal/recommended) for most of the supplements.

Is the full list of supplements imperative or is some of it recommended?

Are you planning on sliding the dosing back after achieving remission?

Is the keto light diet necessary or just recommended?

I'm somewhat interested in trying it, especially after having a good response from my covid vaccine both times which leads me to believe that kicking my immune response into over gear would yield positive results again.

Learner1

It seems that it might be prudent to understand one's own situation and one's own pre-existing lab results, before embarking on a protocol with such high doses of so many substances. And to ensure that one is using reputable sources that don't have hidden toxicity, as high doses of something toxic could be a problem.

@Hoosierfans I'm sorry to hear of your situation and am glad that you were able to rescue yourself, but I think your experience is a good warning to each of us to assess our possible risks with each of the substances in the protocol. These substances seem to be in the protocol for particular reason, but they may indeed have other effects that can cause serious symptoms and even serious risk if not thought about any comprehensive 360 degree fashion.
But your response raises the Million Dollar Question of @joshua.leisk’s Protocol, which he and I have discussed — whether the Protocol is appropriate when one has significant auto immunity. His view (and correct me if I am wrong Josh 😚), is that all autoimmunity can be cured through his approach because all autoimmunity is caused by latent viral cells (whether HHV-6, EBV etc) which cause the body to produce B cell antibodies. If you eliminate the latent viral cells (via the Protocol), the autoimmunity will also disappear as there are no more cells causing the body to produce rouge antibodies. Thus it’s appropriate (dare say necessary) to induce a heightened immune response to rid the body of latent viral cells and therefore any autoimmunity.

Ive discussed this at length with @Learner1 and (correct me if I am wrong love! 😚) and she does not agree that all autoimmunity is viral cell driven.

So the Million Dollar Question is — for those of us with significant autoimmunity, is the Protocol appropriate?
As a patient with multiple autoimmune conditions myself who has tried various treatments, including those for EBV and other herpes family viruses, I've done a fair amount of studying and there seem to be a number of things triggering and sustaining autoimmunity, so I'm a little doubtful that Epstein-Barr alone is the cause of all of our issues, so I do agree that it causes a lot of mischief, and can definitely trigger autoimmunity in many cases.

Here some discussions of things that drive autoimmunity, that one might want to ponder before blindly following only one interpretation of autoimmunity and possibly getting oneself into trouble.

--------------------------------------
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23493116/

"Coeliac disease, an inflammatory disease of the small intestine, shares key features with autoimmune disorders, such as susceptibility genes, presence of autoantibodies and T cell-mediated destruction of specific cells.

Strikingly, however, continuous exposure to the exogenous dietary antigen gluten and gluten-specific adaptive immunity are required to maintain immunopathology.

These observations challenge the notion that autoimmunity requires adaptive immune activation towards self antigens.

Using coeliac disease as an example, we propose that other exogenous factors might be identified as drivers of autoimmune processes, in particular when evidence for T cells with specificity for self antigens driving the disease is lacking."

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/12/191217114232.htm

"Previously it was thought that IL-1b production required activation of a group of immune system protein molecules that make up structures called the inflammasomes. It turns out the inflammasomes, which act as system sensors that activate inflammation, can cause what are called auto-inflammatory diseases. These are distinct from auto-immune diseases.

Pasare and his colleagues found out that instead of inflammasomes, a different molecular pathway cranks up inflammation during autoimmunity while working completely independent from inflammasomes. That molecular process was triggered by interactions between myeloid cells and CD4-positive T cells, which become primed to attack harmful bacteria, viruses and other microorganisms. Unfortunately, in the case of autoimmunity, the immune system attacks and eventually destroys healthy tissues erroneously targeted as harmful.

When it's not fulfilling its role in driving autoimmunity, IL-1b usually works as a stimulator of anti-microbial immunity. But during autoimmune processes, the authors report they discovered in their mouse models that autoreactive T cells, macrophage and dendritic cells in the immune system work through two other molecules -- TNF (tumor necrosis factor) and FasL (fas ligand) -- to produce overabundant amounts of IL-1b.

"This means our findings have two previously unknown implications," Pasare explained. "We show for the first time that IL-1b can be made in the absence of infection and that T cells are major drivers of IL-1b in an autoimmune setting."

The study also underscores that therapies targeting IL-1b production by inflammasomes are going to be limited in their effectiveness in treating autoimmune disease. This is because the Pasare team's findings show that auto-reactive T cells have their own mechanisms to drive inflammation and work independently of inflammasomes.

Pasare said that targeting the TNF and FasL pathway of IL-1b production is more likely to be an effective way of treating auto-immune diseases in humans."

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22432804/

"In SLE, CD4+T cells provide cognate help to self-reactive B cells, which in turn produce pathogenic auto-antibodies (1).

Thus, B cells act as effectors by producing auto-antibody aided by T cell help such that B and T cell interactions are unidirectional.

However, this paradigm of B and T cell interactions is challenged by new clinical data demonstrating that B cell depletion is effective for T cell mediated autoimmune diseases including type I diabetes mellitus (T1D) (2), rheumatoid arthritis (3), and multiple sclerosis (4).

These clinical data indicate a model whereby B cells can influence the developing autoimmune T cell response, and therefore act as effectors, in ways that extend beyond the production of autoantibody ."

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fimmu.2020.00760/full

"Historically, multiple sclerosis (MS) has been viewed as being primarily driven by T cells.

However, the effective use of anti-CD20 treatment now also reveals an important role for B cells in MS patients. The results from this treatment put forward T-cell activation rather than antibody production by B cells as a driving force behind MS.

The main question of how their interaction provokes both B and T cells to infiltrate the CNS and cause local pathology remains to be answered. In this review, we highlight key pathogenic events involving B and T cells that most likely contribute to the pathogenesis of MS.

These include

(1) peripheral escape of B cells from T cell-mediated control,
(2) interaction of pathogenic B and T cells in secondary lymph nodes, and
(3) reactivation of B and T cells accumulating in the CNS.

We will focus on the functional programs of CNS-infiltrating lymphocyte subsets in MS patients and discuss how these are defined by mechanisms such as antigen presentation, co-stimulation and cytokine production in the periphery.

Furthermore, the potential impact of genetic variants and viral triggers on candidate subsets will be debated in the context of MS."

https://translational-medicine.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12967-020-02289-w

"Transitional B cells (TrB cells) represent a crucial link between immature B cells in the bone marrow and mature peripheral B cells.

Although TrB cells represent one of the regulatory B cell subpopulations in healthy individuals, the frequency of CD24hiCD38hi TrB cells in circulation may be altered in individuals with autoimmune diseases, such as multiple sclerosis, neuromyelitisoptica spectrum disorders, systemic lupus erythematosus, Sjögren’s syndrome, rheumatoid arthritis, systemic sclerosis, and juvenile dermatomyositis.

Although TrB cells play regulatory roles under inflammatory conditions, consequences of their functional impairment vary across autoimmune diseases. Since the origin, development, and function of TrB cells, especially in humans, remain unclear and controversial, this review aimed to discuss the characteristics of TrB cells at steady state and explore their role in various immune diseases, including autoimmune rheumatic diseases and neuroimmunological diseases."

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2021/02/4...cancer-research-advance-treatments-autoimmune

"It’s kind of like asking how many different kinds of people there are – it depends on how you look at it,” said Krummel. “In terms of the way the immune system responds to cancer we see about a dozen archetypes and we expect to find a similar number for autoimmune disease.”

Identifying autoimmune archetypes will help the researchers understand the central operating mechanisms underlying autoimmune disease, potentially revealing hidden connections between seemingly unrelated illnesses.

Understanding these connections may help speed the development of new treatments and identify existing drugs that may have the potential to treat several different autoimmune disorders."

This is a very interesting discussion of autoimmunity from a functional medicine perspective. Note that this doctor is expressing that there are a number of other genetic and environmental factors that can be driving autoimmunity, far beyond a herpes virus...

https://www.ifm.org/news-insights/a...iving-forces-inflamed-brain-taking-high-road/

Rufous McKinney

But the bottom line is that The Protocol involves numerous substances, most at really high levels, and I think it might be a stopper for you, right there ....

Could your TCM practitioner help you with this? I mean the reading and interpreting part? It's not entirely in their wheelhouse, but it is a form of treatment that they might find interesting ....:hug::hug:

My TCM practitioner is not a good candidate for this role. (hand holding) (a good idea tho', you would think if one could bribe with cash, that you could actually GET somebodies undivided attention for a little while).

And I"m not likely to pursue this- for the reasons you already detected. Plus risk of incidents in front of refridgerators in kitchens with many hard surfaces.

I greatly appreciate what Joshua and I'm sorry- forgetting- have put together here.

Given my long history with chinese herbs, I would tend to stick to that route for myself.

(aside- a recent effort to resume a modest lymph cleanse using herbs- was again abandoned, this time after three weeks) (as I find detox very challenging, I'm reacting strongly to what are called very mild herbs).

On the other hand, No I seriously need help because I can't get far into any text before I bail out on the third paragraph, skip to the conclusion, where in I find most things don't seem to reach conclusions.

Right now I wish I lived near a Medical school where maybe I could find a student to- work on saving me. Somebody to bring to an appointment. Somebody to explain, afterwards, why its so hard to get any help.

joshua.leisk

Joshua Leisk (Researcher)
25mg and I don't think so but it is a lot less severe.
Part of the last week has been confirming items which affect GDH and one of those items turned out to be spironolactone, which reduces it in a similar way to EGCG. There are a number of other influences and I’ll have a lot to share on this topic soon.

One of the early people who has used v1,2,3 versions of the protocol design discontinued spironolactone and saw a need to increase EGCG to compensate. They are taking 75-100mg. Other people may need less/more depending on their circumstances, to keep GDH normalised and avoid PEM.

v3.3 will be updated to also reflect this.

A couple of people have also been self-testing a reduced evening dose of EGCG to allow for easier sleep.

B9CAB39F-1F95-4C58-A073-FC91E9921EC0.jpeg

Was feeling not bad so decided to hit the gym again, this time pre-gym I loaded up heavily on BCAAs, LOLA, EGCG 100mg and Succinic Acid, I pushed myself harder and got PEM later, pretty much wanted to do nothing but stare at a youtube video. I loaded before sleep with extra BCAAs, LOLA, EGCG 100mg and I ate Succinic acid like it was candy (I also took a small dose of Oleamide). In contrast to the first exercise where I just took my normal sleep stack: Ashwaganda, Taurine, Glycine, Lithium...
This morning: no headache, no pain behind the eyes, throat feels less irritated, no spine inflammation, no colitis symptoms. Still wokeup fatigued and slightly brain fogged. Sleep quality was decent.
I think the TA-1 shot I did earlier in the day, has kept spine inflammation at bay, I also think the BCAAs, LOLA, EGCG and Succinic acid before bed time have helped, will repeat this evening and see what happens, excluding the Oleamide. Today also no exercise but my body should continue Nitrogen processing.

godlovesatrier

@joshua.leisk interesting. I think based on my own experience at least that this makes sense. I'm not on any anti virals and I definitely felt significantly better at 75mg egcg. However woke up thismorning with muscle fatigue in legs and arms at about...20 to 40% normal severity with no brain fog or neuro related fatigue at 75mg egcg. So it would appear there's a possible effect over time and some people might just need to wait a month before the PEM is fully blocked? (Because last two times I crashed it was much worse)

I can't confirm this of course and it's just my own experience so far. Sleep is certainly an issue for me. Some days I am sleeping great but other days it's just so so or slightly disturbed. Although last night I woke at 4am very hungry. I keep having to drink bicarbonate of soda mixed in water (a mouthful is plenty) and this gets me back to sleep for the rest of the night. I must say I do need to do some dietary improvements as I think my calorie intake might be too low. So I really need to get this sorted and it might fix the sleep.

As for PEM my mouth was also dry before going to bed and my throat kept drying out and making me cough.

This is quite a contrast to the last time I performed the same activity where I crashed for 24 hours. So maybe in my case as with others 100mg egcg 3 x a day with a 25mg dose in the evening is a good idea.

Thanks for the update :)

Hoosierfans

Hey all — just wanted to stop in to say thanks to everyone who reached out to me on this thread and privately to make sure I am ok.

Unfotrunatly I fainted again this morning, although it was not as bad as what happened earlier in the week. As of yesterday, I decided to discontinue most of the supplements on the Protocol as (1) I haven’t seen improvement in the two months I have been on them:; (2) when I moved to higher doses of things like the RGCG, NAC etc I experienced a worsening; and (3) my condition is too “delicate” / severe to be playing around with high doses of things....even when each has a purpose.

I also think I have to tread VERY carefully as my main driver is autoimmune, as as many folks pointed out to me...further increasing the immune response is the exact opposite of what I should be doing.

Reading_Steiner

I'm stable in a sort of moderate ( symptom wise / general feeling ), but physically reluctant to exert much, aka in normal activities around the house i'm doing ok, but I don't feel like battling through fields and mud patches, lifting heavy objects, doing mechanics etc. I'm not on the high level of EGCG that godloves is on though, and in the past few days i'm getting a bit slack with taking the pills and the diet. Plan to continue doing this strategy for a while longer yet.

godlovesatrier

I worry more that your loading the body with all sorts of things to achieve a trip to the gym. Potentially doing all sorts of harm. Remission should get you back to your old self. You shouldn't have any side effects or symptoms.

For example I'm still having issues with sleep and still feel a bit wired at times. Although this has lessened a bit. In time I'll be reducing the reishi and lion's mane assuming I'm still on the protocol in a month. But my point is true remission shouldn't be like that. As Davis said recently if he corrects the pathway he's looking at he's looking for the drug he chooses to fully correct it and the person to be well within 48 hours.

But so far at least on day 19 now. I would say this is the best treatment protocol for getting me back to some semblance of normality I've found in ages. Still lots of what ifs really and uncertainty about how it will play out in future, how it will react to stressful events, like a virus, a vaccine or any number of other things. Partly why I'm getting bloods taken so I can see its not doing my body any harm as well.

Today was pretty rough. Had nausea most of the day directly predicated by a high level of exertion on Thursday. Started at 11am. Headache then most of the day. Falling asleep around 3pm. I'm not sure how much pollen and temperature is effecting things. As we just hit 19 degrees C for the first time this year today which does mean more pollen and I can feel that on my eyes.

However my sore throat is now completely gone. Haven't had the reappear for 5 days. Inflamation in the cranial cervical junction seems to have gone today. Occipital inflamation is heavily reduced as of yesterday. I hope this is meaningful trending in the right direction.

joshua.leisk

Adding my update from the Life Extension Reishi Complex:

1. Old leg infection / inflammation- flared up for about 30 hours and ceased.
2. The dizziness, fatigue and “being hit by a tonne of bricks” lasted for less than half a day.
3. Headache came and went.
4. Optical neuritis lasted less than a day.
5. Chronic longterm nasal inflammation disappeared and sense of smell I’d forgotten existed has returned. I had a glimpse of this for a week after completing the fast, also.
6. Skin improvements.
.. some other small items.

Without having CFS/ME anymore, my immune response has been comparatively minor and enjoyable.

I worry more that your loading the body with all sorts of things to achieve a trip to the gym. Potentially doing all sorts of harm. Remission should get you back to your old self. You shouldn't have any side effects or symptoms.

For example I'm still having issues with sleep and still feel a bit wired at times. Although this has lessened a bit. In time I'll be reducing the reishi and lion's mane assuming I'm still on the protocol in a month. But my point is true remission shouldn't be like that. As Davis said recently if he corrects the pathway he's looking at he's looking for the drug he chooses to fully correct it and the person to be well within 48 hours.
I agree with Dr Davis on this. From what we’ve also observed - achieving “symptomatic remission only”, in a HHV-infected person that isn’t already altered by various pharmaceuticals and doesn’t have confounding co-infections may be rapid.

00F8437E-BEB8-4714-8C48-FD04CBB954AD.jpeg

(A person who started on the v2.x protocol back in March. I posted this screenshot earlier, with his permission - he’s at 9 weeks now..)

The problem is that by correcting the mitochondrial energy shortages, without simultaneously doing something about disabling the viral replication activity, would logically allow the virus to increase this activity and continue taking over the host with even more efficiency.

It also only provides a dose-dependent “band-aid” for the symptoms. eg. Great for “feeling good” and generating revenue for companies, not good for helping people break free of the problem.

The unfortunate part is that to properly solve the problem means removing the infection. This mean “doing the work” and cleaning out the infected cells. This process can be very unpleasant and the native and adaptive immune responses don’t appear to factor in our mental health as a priority in the healing process.

joshua.leisk

What have the dose of the LEF Reishi been? - Did you take it additional to the Reishi powder you already took?
1st day was on top of a small mountain of the existing reishi powder I had already been consuming.

Days 2,3+ were a single capsule of the LEF, 3x a day, plus a very large amount of oat bran, lions mane, etc. Seemed to work well. I’ll be testing out some additional ideas over the week. 👍🏻

Hoosierfans

Hey all — needed to clarify something I wrote in my post above. There has been one improvement I have seen from the Protocol....the all over skin burning I have stayed away for about 10 days with the use of the sodium benzoate / glycine.

Now here’s the rub...when I first tried the SB / glycine back in April (3 large doses per day), I got a SIGNIFICANT increase in my dizziness and burning after each dose. Keeping in close contact with Joshua, I reported this to him and after about 4 days threw in the towel as I was gettting worse and worse.

About 2 weeks ago I decided to try again, but at lower doses and taking it every 30 minutes. I again flared about a day and a half in, badly for a day, but then it died down and then burning almost disappeared...and has stayed gone for 10 days. I was on the SB / glycine for about 7 days until I had the fainting episode I earlier reported.

pamojja

1st day was on top of a small mountain of the existing reishi powder I had already been consuming.

Days 2,3+ were a single capsule of the LEF, 3x a day, plus a very large amount of oat bran, lions mane, etc. Seemed to work well. I’ll be testing out some additional ideas over the week. 👍🏻

Thanks. So the triterpenes in 3 LEF capsules - almost 90mg from 3 caps - where actually much more stronger than the assumed 3x40=120mg triterpenes from 3x500mg plain Reishi powder daily. And plain Reishi powder therefore containing much less triterpenes than 80mg per gram. Maybe half of that? Seems there is no way around ordering the expensive LEF Reishi, at one point..

Tried to avoid by first ordering from Sunday.de, just arrived. The powder's color doesn't seem that convincing. The taste is more bitter than plain cocoa powder, but a bid less its flavour.

Addtionally they sell a water/alcohol extracted Reishi, 250mg per capsule + 250mg Jiaogulan extract. And pure 500mg water/alcohol extracted Reishi capsules. The former with a bid milder taste with distinct teaish flavor. The later the most bitter with least cocoa flavor. Both extracts only slightly darker than the plain Reishi powder.

https://www.sunday.de/bio-reishi-pulver-rohkost-set.html
https://www.sunday.de/bio-jiaogulan-reishi-extrakt-kapseln-set.html
https://www.sunday.de/bio-reishi-extrakt-kapseln-30-polysaccharide-set.html

Sadly though, their Reishi extract is only standardized to polysaccarides, beta-glucans only mentioned as further constituents of that. The LEF Reishi ext. being standardized to 13,5% polisaccarides and 6% beta-glucans - obviously dependent of the water to alkohol ratio in the extraction - and correlating the different ratios, I have to assume about 2.7% treterpenes in the Sunday Reishi extracts. Or only 13.5mg triterpenes per 500mg Reishi extract capsule.

Attached a picture of the plain powder (for some reason didn't allow it to add inside the post), and will experiment as soon as off-duty in about a week with what I've got.

Attachments

• IMG_20210529_134821_199~2.jpg
    IMG_20210529_134821_199~2.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

godlovesatrier

Currently in a bit of an ugly decline, feels like an ME protracted crash. Muscles sort of ache and hurt in and around the knee and into the thigh. Feel dizzy, energy is ok but not far off low. Muscles tiring easily.

So to try to figure this out I am increasing EGCG up to 125mg from about 100mg trialled yesterday to see the effect. Originally 75mg was actually promoting seemingly a block on fatigue, however the body appeared to correct against that (correction the ME seemed to correct against that) meaning 75mg wasn't enough, hence the increase to 125mg egcg. 100mg yesterday didn't seem to have a huge effect.

One other issue I've been struggling with the last week is mild asthma, it comes and goes and it's nothing like air hunger it's totally different. Could just be due to the pollen and an interaction with the stuff I am taking, but it's there.

Rest of the info is on my latest blog post.

Status
Not open for further replies.