• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ME/CFS Collaborative Research Centers & Data Management Center Announcements

AndyPR

adreno

PR activist
I think overall this is some very good news for us, although I would of course have liked to see certain others funded as well. Hopefully there will be more grants in the future? I am not really up-to-date on the roadmap.

Gemini

Last edited:

Jo Best

Now today we can comment publicly on the announcement of the plans and awards from the National Institues of Health (NIH) for similar Centres of Excellence.

This takes the same approach as IiMER.

We are very hopeful of this development and have already made connections to people to facilitate the research.

We welcome NIH's 'Dr Vicky Whittemore's earlier public support for Invest in ME Research's work to establish the UK Centre.

We must also remember the NCNED in Australia which has a Centre up and running.

http://www.investinme.org/IIMER-Statement-1709-02.shtml

lilpink

I trust Invest in ME to properly keep an eye on this sort of activity (phew!). I know many US advocates are (quite rightly imo) concerned that the orgs supporting this initiative in the US aren't necessarily up to speed on the use of appropriate criteria and seem to conflate authentic ME with other fatigue states. @Jo Best : are you able to confirm that Invest will ensure that the correct criteria for accessing patient participants will be correct please (ie: ICC)?

shannah

Does anyone know the total dollar figure of these projects?
I haven't yet seen it but I do see $ 10.6M + $ 9.4M + $9.4M

Jo Best

Sorry I was being obtuse. I meant more in terms of their already having made connections and thus having some opportunities for the 'right conversations' about cohort selection.
Ah yes, I think you're right that those discussions have taken place over the years that these ideas and initiatives, and the research itself, have been evolving, face to face at the Biomedical Research into ME Colloquium and through contacts made and ongoing throughout the year. As you know, Vicky Whittemore from NIH has attended for the past two years, and the request for input from the community in her 2016 presentation (IIMEC11) was well received and responded to, which she commented on at IIMEC12. Beth Unger from CDC was also there this year.

I haven't looked at the research proposals in detail but I'm guessing that most of the centers have cohorts already identified and samples stored?

As for collaboration with the UK Centre, Mady Hornig visited Norwich autumn 2015 and one of the medical students funded to be involved in the UK gut microbiota research spent three months working with Maureen Hanson at Cornell.

ballard

PrisonNIH.jpeg