• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Me/cfs and cold sensitivity?

Davsey27

I was curious if thyroid functioning is normal what can cause cold sensitivity in me/cfs?

One guess may be issues with the autonomic nervous system.Its strange today was around 65 and I still felt the need to wear a light coat

Thank you

Wishful

If ME involves mitochondrial dysfunction, that certainly could affect heat production. Since it also affects neural function, it could modify how we process the temperature-sensor signals. Really, the possibilities for how ME affects how we feel are vast.

Wishful

While checking into something else, I came across Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma coactivator 1-alpha (PGC-1α). "PGC-1α is the master regulator of mitochondrial biogenesis." and "It is strongly induced by cold exposure, linking this environmental stimulus to adaptive thermogenesis."

So, there's just another possibility for why ME is making you cold-sensitive: PGC-1α might be somehow involved.

ljimbo423

I was curious if thyroid functioning is normal what can cause cold sensitivity in me/cfs?

One guess may be issues with the autonomic nervous system.Its strange today was around 65 and I still felt the need to wear a light coat

Thank you

I'm fairly cold sensitive. When I take a shower, I turn on a space heater in the bathroom, to get the temperature up to 82-83 F. If I get out of the shower when it's 75-76 F, I often shiver I'm so cold.

I think the cause might have something to do with either the sickness response being activated in the brain, like ME/CFS researcher Jarred Younger thinks or it's just how the low grade inflammation he has found in the brain, affects the hypothalamus or other parts of the brain.

HRManager

"Deal with it"
I'm just the opposite. I am heat sensitive.

I have not worn anything thicker than a hoodie this winter - in Illinois. I am unable to take warm showers. The hot water hitting me feels like needles. My house has to be at about 68 degrees year round. Summers just.. suck.

Sledgehammer

Before becoming ill I was like a walking radiator and would spend most of the time in a T-shirt and have the windows open even during winter. At times I have to take hot showers to warm up.
But I do have times where I will overheat and have to throw my duvet off. :confused:

Wishful

One important factor for feeling cold is humidity. I can feel warm at 12C, and feel cold at 15C, the difference is higher humidity with the latter.