• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Manganese (not magnesium) and pain?

NilaJones

Hi folks --

I want to let you all know what happened to me when I tried manganese, in case it helps someone, and also to see if any of you have insights.

I started with 12.5mg (1/4 of a solaray capsule). That day I had a massage, and I just could not get comfortable. Everything felt like too much pressure, or not the right angle. But that happens sometimes with massage. That night, I was up for several hours trying to get comfortable. Again, this happens to me pretty often. I have a lot of pain. OTOH, insomnia can present as 'too much pain -- can't get comfortable' for me, if I am not sleepy enough to sleep through the pain. Just in case, I took no mn for a few days, and I slept fine.

I tried it again yesterday, this time with 6mg. Last night, again problems with pain. And in a weird way. Little oddities of position, or stretching my arm a bit too far, caused a surprising amount of burning pain, that took a long time to fade (like 30 minutes). But my usual background pain was not elevated. Other kinds of discomfort seemed to be affected too -- for example, when my nose was running and I sniffed to clear the passages, the relief was exaggerated.

I know manganese can cause neurological problems, so I do not plan on taking any more!

Have any of you had similar experiences with it, or do you have an idea what the mechanism for this increased sensitivity could be?

NilaJones

A minor correction: Last night was the second night on 1/8 capsule. The first night I slept fine but had weirdly vivid dreams, like with resistant starch.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Hi Nila - I believe manganese feeds Borrelia - do you have Lyme? Other than that its not ringing any bells.

PeterPositive

I started with 12.5mg (1/8 of a solaray capsule).
It's not clear... you mean you took 1/8 of a 12.5mg capsule, right?
In any case 12.5mg sounds like an excessively high dose for a supplement.

Maybe you are already taking enough manganese from the diet and the extra is bothering you. Do you have liver problems?

Manganese is LIKELY SAFE for most adults when taken by mouth in amounts up to 11 mg per day. However, people who have trouble getting rid of manganese from the body, such as people with liver disease, may experience side effects when taking less than 11 mg per day.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/182.html

cheers

NilaJones

Thank you for the link, @Gondwanaland ! It has more info than I can absorb... but it does sound like I could need manganese. I have always had iron deficiency anemia. OTOH, I very much did not like the result of taking mn.

@justy : I don't have Lyme AFAIK.
@PeterPositive : I don't have liver problems. The original capsule was 50mg and I took fractions thereof. Yes, the initial dose was higher than it should have been.

Gondwanaland

It has more info than I can absorb
I know what you mean, I have been studying that site for almost a year.
I just think that their recommendation for therapeutic supplementation is a little bit high, and if I ever take manganese again will be in the range of 500-800 MICROgrams.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I have been up and down with manganese, since I sometimes run out and sometimes don't get the pills split. At one time I worked up to 8 mg twice a day, but this seemed to bother my liver. I was OK with 4 mg 4 times per day.

NilaJones

Such small doses of manganese I highly doubt are the cause of those symptoms.

It was a surprise to me, too. But the evidence is very strong. Two tests, with the same results. No other changes in diet, medications, or activity. I do also get a lot of manganese from my daily diet.

xks201

It was a surprise to me, too. But the evidence is very strong. Two tests, with the same results. No other changes in diet, medications, or activity. I do also get a lot of manganese from my daily diet.
What tests ?

Sophiedw

Manganese lowers copper. This gives me increased fibromyalgia pain that fade when copper is adequate :)