• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Magnesium deficiënt but can't tolerate Magnesium.

perchance dreamer

I've recently started magnesium lactate powder from the brand Premier Research. I had taken magnesium lactate capsules from Standard Process a long time ago, but I didn't notice much in the way of benefits.

This magnesium lactate powder, which you mix in a little water, is really helping my sleep and giving me just the help I need in the bathroom department. Maybe I just absorb it better than the magnesium glycinate and the other forms I've been on for a long time.

The powder is messy, so I keep it on a little dish, and I have to mix it with hot, not boiling, water so that it's absorbed. Even then, I have to whisk it a lot, and I still end up with a few chunks. It's not vile, but it tastes unpleasant and weird. I just gulp it down. I order mine from Amazon.

https://prlabs.com/magnesium.html

YippeeKi YOW !!

The powder is messy, so I keep it on a little dish, and I have to mix it with hot, not boiling, water so that it's absorbed. Even then, I have to whisk it a lot, and I still end up with a few chunks. It's not vile, but it tastes unpleasant and weird. I just gulp it down. I order mine from Amazon.
Ditto my magnesium oxide, which I take for it's bowel effects, when I need it .... it's a mess, no matter how hard I whisk, and like you, there's always little white bits clinging to the bottomand sides of the cup. I use very warm water, also a little stevia, which really helps the flavor, which seems to be a cross between an old sardine can and something kinda ... rotty ..... but it does the job, and what more could I ask for ....

Well, it COULD come in chocolate .... preferably dark chocolate, as long as I'm dreaming ....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :woot::woot:

Methyl90

Ditto my magnesium oxide, which I take for it's bowel effects, when I need it .... it's a mess, no matter how hard I whisk, and like you, there's always little white bits clinging to the bottomand sides of the cup. I use very warm water, also a little stevia, which really helps the flavor, which seems to be a cross between an old sardine can and something kinda ... rotty ..... but it does the job, and what more could I ask for ....

Well, it COULD come in chocolate .... preferably dark chocolate, as long as I'm dreaming ....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :woot::woot:

No have problem from Oxalate in Choccolate ?

YippeeKi YOW !!

No have problem from Oxalate in Choccolate ?
That was actually a sort of joke, referring to the fishy taste and smell of powdered magnesium products.

But, no, and I eat as much dark chocolate as I think is reasonable, and I also put it in my morning coffee, along with cinnamon (Ceylon cinnamon only.... all the others -- Vietnamese, the kind that comes in most spice bottles, etc -- are extremely high in coumarin which can cause any number if issues, including liver ad heart problems). Have not had any problems with oxalates, knock wood ....

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I recently tried some mag chloride along with some copper (less than 2mg) because I keep thinking my cravings for chocolate are because I'm deficient in those. Well the two together gave me insomnia. I think when I tried magnesium glycinate and later magnesium citrate a couple of months ago they both did the same thing but this time it was more pronounced so I could make the connection.

I wanna say the mag chloride/copper insomnia reaction was almost like I had a little energy and other than the insomnia I didn't get the muscle cramps/burning like I did with the mag glycinate nor the added bladder irritation I got with the mag citrate.

It makes me almost want to try the combo again sometime but earlier in the day, maybe in the morning after I'm sure I've had enough sleep, just to see if they really would give me some kind of energy.

Though I'm probably not the norm. I definitely have paradoxical reactions to things. Like recently I found that a pinch of calcium hydroxyapatite with my tart cherry powder actually makes me relax and sleep much better than the tart cherry alone. :)

Last edited:

perchance dreamer

I wonder why use of magnesium lactate seems to be so uncommon. It's rare that I see it in discussions of magnesium. I'm finding that it helps quite a bit with sleep and constipation.

Earlier in this thread I had mentioned I'm using Premier Research magnesium lactate powder and that it didn't mix well. It's mixing much better now that I add hotter water and wait several minutes and whisk again. That seems to help the powder get absorbed into the water.

@Judee, I have a lot of paradoxical reactions, too, and hope you find a magnesium form that works for you. I find magnesium chloride relaxing. I bathe every night in magnesium chloride flakes, Yareli Dead Sea Unscented Bath Flakes, and also add a little Premier Research pH Minerals liquid to water in the evening. Here are the ingredients.

Magnesium 190 mg, Chloride 620 mg, Sodium 20 mg, Potassium 25 mg, Sulfate 30 mg, Sulfur 8 mg, Lithium 690 mcg, Boron 245 mcg

I'm not familiar with chloride as a standalone ingredient, but this product does help relax me. I'm not sure what form the magnesium is.

YippeeKi YOW !!

I wonder why use of magnesium lactate seems to be so uncommon.
It's a little harder to find. I tried it early in my trials of various mags and it didn't seem to do much. I was using tablets, tho. Possibly the powdered form might have been more beneficial ....

I tried using hotter water on the mag oxide, but it didnt seem to help the granular effect, tho it DID increase the fishy smell/taste to absolutely staggering levels ....