• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lymph nodes

Rufous McKinney

yeah well thats: real common around here.

In me, the right side is the worst.

All that area is connected up...the base of the jaw, the ear, lymph, nerves, oh its very busy.

I get the sore throat very often, and especially if I talk or chat. Lunch, or a phone call, can be real troubling.

We are told- You look fine. Well, I don't sound fine! (and no, don't look fine either, people just are so unobservant and self absorbed).

So- is this a PEM cycle and your just stuck? I have a very painful node on my right rib cage. It cycles, so that all varies and sometimes it seems fine.

The nodes go down if one can get that lymph moving a bit. For me, anything that moves lymph is stirring things up and releasing crap into the system/ PEM ensues.

So I noticed my lymph nodes got much much better- when I was simply having to walk more, visiting my daughter for three months. But the problem then became- I was still doing to much, crashing, PEM ongoing...and the result was I got a whole lot MORE SICK and got VERY BAD neurological symptoms increasing.

My best hope is to try to get less run down, then it bothers me less. Try some hot bathes, some epsom salts, sweat a bit.

I also got chinese traditional herbal formula and included Lymph Cleanse in my normal formula. Unfortunately- well I just haven't taken it...as I could n't due to some other reason, and now i need to decide to get this going again.

Other things that might help lymph nodes: hot water bottle ....warmth....

Biomagnets- I've used those some. They are pretty interesting. I've not gotten a swollen node to go away with the magnets, but it will reduce some swelling and sensitivity. These are small powerful magnets you apply to points on the body, pain areas, I love them for the back of my neck.

The sore throat- thats a tough one. Mine can be truely awful. I used to sing, and had a lovely voice.

Some of the chinese herbs which moisten the lung, will help some of this dry hoarse painful throat thing. Elderberry syrup is soothing.

But ultimately: its stop talking, end this. Don't chat, don't make phone calls. don't stay on the phone long.

If I lie down on my back (like I am right now)..I start- choking and coughing. What with that? (neck?).

Rufous McKinney

Urrrr sick of my left lymph node swelling and some pain in left ear and also having sore throat ..
When I used to get run down way before CFS I used to get this but milder ....

Something else which might be worth trying on the lymph nodes...pain by ear....CBD lotions....I just got some and I'm trying it now.

I have found that helpful for- sore nerves (it soothed a root canal, completed, that still is achy months later), sore neck, sore jaw.

Booble

I used to worry about lymph nodes a long time ago but now I keep in perspective that they are supposed to enlarge. That is them doing their job. And also a doctor once told me that they sometimes take forever to go back down.

Emmarose47

I used to worry about lymph nodes a long time ago but now I keep in perspective that they are supposed to enlarge. That is them doing their job. And also a doctor once told me that they sometimes take forever to go back down.
Yep ...they are an indicator for me pre flare too ...

Rufous McKinney

I haven't made good experiences with CBD. It might help in some ways, but I think its immunosuppressive properties contribute to reactivations in my case. My sore throat also gets worse from it.

I'm not real up on the subtleties of all this, and of course, you should make note of how things affect you personally....

But it does sound like THC and CBD can have varied effects on the immune system...some of which are likely positive and helpful, at least for some of us.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4470840/

nerd

I'm not real up on the subtleties of all this, and of course, you should make note of how things affect you personally....

But it does sound like THC and CBD can have varied effects on the immune system...some of which are likely positive and helpful, at least for some of us.

I'm not con CBD in general. I'm aware that it isn't a pure immunosuppressive and rather modulating certain functions. It's insufficiently studied, all the same, considering how many cannabinoids exist and all their potential use cases. Unfortunately, due to restrictions, hemp has been cultured for many years to maximize THC content and thereby reduce the content of other useful cannabinoids.

I appreciate it for its dominant calming effect. But I've reduced it a lot.

In general, I don't see the immune system as something that is "positive" or "negative", "weak" or "strong". I often read these terms when "immune boosters" are advertised. But it's just an advertisement myth. Sometimes, it means that IL-6 is boosted, for example. People with autoimmune diseases might want to avoid this. So it always depends on the recipient whether these things are positive or negative and for which goal.

Rufous McKinney

It's insufficiently studied

Thats for sure. By making it a more dangeous drug than real dangerous drugs, studies rarely happen.

I think what we desire are- the amazing herbs that go in and make whatever adjustment is necessary!

Emmarose47

yeah well thats: real common around here.

In me, the right side is the worst.

All that area is connected up...the base of the jaw, the ear, lymph, nerves, oh its very busy.

I get the sore throat very often, and especially if I talk or chat. Lunch, or a phone call, can be real troubling.

We are told- You look fine. Well, I don't sound fine! (and no, don't look fine either, people just are so unobservant and self absorbed).

So- is this a PEM cycle and your just stuck? I have a very painful node on my right rib cage. It cycles, so that all varies and sometimes it seems fine.

The nodes go down if one can get that lymph moving a bit. For me, anything that moves lymph is stirring things up and releasing crap into the system/ PEM ensues.

So I noticed my lymph nodes got much much better- when I was simply having to walk more, visiting my daughter for three months. But the problem then became- I was still doing to much, crashing, PEM ongoing...and the result was I got a whole lot MORE SICK and got VERY BAD neurological symptoms increasing.

My best hope is to try to get less run down, then it bothers me less. Try some hot bathes, some epsom salts, sweat a bit.

I also got chinese traditional herbal formula and included Lymph Cleanse in my normal formula. Unfortunately- well I just haven't taken it...as I could n't due to some other reason, and now i need to decide to get this going again.

Other things that might help lymph nodes: hot water bottle ....warmth....

Biomagnets- I've used those some. They are pretty interesting. I've not gotten a swollen node to go away with the magnets, but it will reduce some swelling and sensitivity. These are small powerful magnets you apply to points on the body, pain areas, I love them for the back of my neck.

The sore throat- thats a tough one. Mine can be truely awful. I used to sing, and had a lovely voice.

Some of the chinese herbs which moisten the lung, will help some of this dry hoarse painful throat thing. Elderberry syrup is soothing.

But ultimately: its stop talking, end this. Don't chat, don't make phone calls. don't stay on the phone long.

If I lie down on my back (like I am right now)..I start- choking and coughing. What with that? (neck?).
Thanks rufous ...
I've just had 3 days of no symptoms utter joy ...now bam it's back left side lymph, throat and ear ....groan
Gonna try heat

YippeeKi YOW !!

Why do they swell in us ? What's the job they are doing ?
They tend to swell up when overloaded or working really hard to clear debris from our systems. Our bodies have around 600-700 nodes, located throughout the lymph system which runs, like blood vessels, through our entire body.

They function as sort of mine-sweepers, demobilizing various invasive species like germs and bacteria, and sweeping away dead bacterial infections and debris.

They also serve as storehouses for lymphocytes, which they also produce, and other immune system cells that attack and destroy bacteria and other harmful substances in the body.

YippeeKi YOW !!

Add in the vagus nerve, the super-highway between the main and the enteric nervous systems, located in our gut. Along with about 75-80% of our immune system.

So definitely a main thoroughfare ....
If I lie down on my back (like I am right now)..I start- choking and coughing.
Post-nasal drip?
Lymph node swelling is a result of viral infection. JMPO
Absolutely. Both intially, during, and after ...
I keep in perspective that they are supposed to enlarge. That is them doing their job.
And again, absolutely !!! And the only time you have to be concerned is when they swell up but are painless. That's sometimes a bad sign ....
Thanks what can I do about it it ?
Drink A LOT of water, and find ways to get your body moving, which helps pump both blood and lymph around.
the amazing herbs that go in and make whatever adjustment is necessary!
Yeah. Adaptogenics have NOT be good to me, and I've tried just about every one of them .... but it would be nice to find that overlooked little miracle herb ....

Emmarose47

They tend to swell up when overloaded or working really hard to clear debris from our systems. Our bodies have around 600-700 nodes, located throughout the lymph system which runs, like blood vessels, through our entire body.

They function as sort of mine-sweepers, demobilizing various invasive species like germs and bacteria, and sweeping away dead bacterial infections and debris.

They also serve as storehouses for lymphocytes, which they also produce, and other immune system cells that attack and destroy bacteria and other harmful substances in the body.
So it signifies that there is some level.of virus going on in us ?

YippeeKi YOW !!

So it signifies that there is some level.of virus going on in us ?
Not always. It can signify that your system is fighting something, usually bacterial tho it could also be viral, depending on what kind. Or it could just be a general clearing of an accumulated overload of systemic debris.

The lymphatic system has these basic functions:

• It facilitates the absorption of fatty acids and their subsequent transport (chyle) into the circulatory system
  • It produces and also stores immune cells, like lymphocytes, monocytes, and plasma cells, which produce various antibodies
  • It removes excess fluid accumulation from tissues thru out your system
  • It's one of the waste removal systems in your body, clearing away dead cells, dead bacteria, anything no long useful or beneficial to your body's optimal functioning.

Emmarose47

Not always. It can signify that your system is fighting something, usually bacterial tho it could also be viral, depending on what kind. Or it could just be a general clearing of an accumulated overload of systemic debris.

The lymphatic system has these basic functions:
  • It facilitates the absorption of fatty acids and their subsequent transport (chyle) into the circulatory system
  • It produces and also stores immune cells, like lymphocytes, monocytes, and plasma cells, which produce various antibodies
  • It removes excess fluid accumulation from tissues thru out your system
  • It's one of the waste removal systems in your body, clearing away dead cells, dead bacteria, anything no long useful or beneficial to your body's optimal functioning.
If its viral or bacterial how would I know ? I've had the usual array of bloods done from a medic to rule out here and then got CFS diagnosis but here in UK they don't do further work ...
I suffer sinusitis a lot but consultant said can't do anything unless I'm in full infection symptoms which I don't get anymore