• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Low Libido - Female - ideas?

xena

Hi All, anyone have thoughts on what would contribute to low libido in a woman with CFS?

I actually always had a moderately high libido up until about 2018 or '19 at which point I essentially took a few year break in having sex that wasn't fulfilling.

I clearly have some trauma contributing and am addressing those with two professionals.

However, I'm wondering if there could be a biological contribution here?

I did go vegan a few years ago- however, my health seriously improved when I did this but I imagine there could be some hormones or something I'm not producing as well.

i also wonder if pyroluria is contributing. I have benefited from zinc a lot on and off and I know vegan diets aren't great for this.

Any suggestions? I'm curious about hormones like DHEA or pregnenolone.

Last edited:

Tammy

One possibility is poor adrenal health that can contribute to decrease in libido.

Many many moons ago I tried DHEA and it definitely improved my libido.

sb4

DHEA helped my libido, for a day or 2, before having the opposite effect. It seems the body adapts.

Recently I've been on the bromocriptine and it has definitely noticably increased my libido. I am not sure how relevant that would be to women as the method it does it seems to be from decreasing prolactin which rises post ejaculation.

xena

In retrospect, it was mostly trauma, stress. I do think b6, zinc are important for the sex hormone production and affect thigns too.

Mouse girl

Truama and stress can certainly cause it, or a really bad boyfriend/girlfirned or a relationship that just isn't working. just some ideas. Being sick never caused any change for me in that area but we are all so different.