• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Low Income HUD Tenants are Under Attack

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
I just wanted to warn everyone that some US public housing authorities are attacking low income HUD tenants as part of the RAD development and Moving-To-Work cohort B plans. What you'll see is that they let public housing maintenance fail and on apartment renewals they raise rents above affordability (max is 40%) which causes a housing shortage because renters stop renting to HCV Section 8 tenants then when you try to find housing you won't be able to find any in that city or will be forced to move to a high crime area. Be sure to keep good track of medical expenses and double check all calculations yourself to catch errors such as-wrong payment standard, verify deductions. Please tell others and write to your congressional representatives telling them to stop it by ordering HUD to make the SAFMR payment standards mandatory for all areas and ensure affordabilitity is at 30% for all public housing and HCV tenants. When HCV rents exceed 40% it is illegal redlining. There are two public housing authorities that have had complaints against them: Marin Florida where the tenants sued the Marin Housing Authority because it let their public housing deteriorate without maintenance to quaify for RAD funding and the Durham, NC where the Durham Housing Authority has had the same maintenance complaints and also for making HCV rents unaffordable in SAFMR areas (redlining).

Last edited:

Rebeccare

Moose Enthusiast
THIS THREAD HAS BEEN RE-OPENED. PLEASE TRY TO KEEP THIS THREAD FOCUSED ON ISSUES THAT RELATE TO PEOPLE WITH ME/CFS, STEER CLEAR OF DUMPING, AND BE CAREFUL WITH POLITICAL CONTENT.

AS OUR FORUM RULES STATE:
This forum is not the place to discuss general politics or religious beliefs. This type of discussion can be divisive and can easily lead to misunderstandings, animosity and unintended offense.

Political discussion directly related to ME/CFS is allowed...

...Therefore, please, no religious or political (unless related to ME/CFS) debate or commentary on this website. Any such posts or threads will be removed.

Last edited: