• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lost head/brain volume

iwillwin1day

After more then 3 years into full blown ME CFS and OI/POTS. I have lost 25 percent of my head volume. Before my ME CFS and after MECFS I compared my photo and I can clearly see my head had shrinked to 75% from before. So have lost 25% of my head/brain. My head is small now. Do any body notice this symptom? What is the reason behind this? Also I have lost so much intelligence like thinking power, lost memory and also have severe brain fog 24x7.

Wayne

My head is small now.

@iwillwin1day -- Sorry to hear what's happening to you--must be most disconcerting to say the least. I've read that chronic pain can reduce the amount of grey matter in the brain by as much as 5% within a month. I would assume just about any kind of brain condition can reduce the size of the brain. My mother, who had Lew Body Dementia had a noticeably smaller head toward the end of her life.

What is the reason behind this?

I wish I could provide an answer as to the reason, but I really don't know. -- Best... :hug:

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
My head was ever a bit smaller (I remember ticks when I was four, see also signature below).

Basically I have a women sized head. But the brain of women is in relation 2% bigger than that of men, it does not look good for me ...

Joke aside.

Brains can shrink (alcohol, medicals), but they can become voluminous again as well. I think also diseases are known to include a loss of brain size (but I can´t remember properly). So, I wouldn´t be too concerned.

I remember that one child with epilepsy has gotten removed one half of the brain when the child was still pretty young, may 6 years old, can´t remember exactly. Surprisingly everthing went completly well and the child was completley normal. I knew people with Alzheimer´s Disease, and one showed to me once his MRI, big gaps, but he never lost his wit as long as I knew him.

Wishful

Photos with different cameras, angles, etc, can be misleading. Is your hat size 25% smaller? If you wear eyeglasses, do you now need smaller frames? If you don't wear eyeglasses, maybe you have an old pair of sunglasses that used to fit, which you could try on now.

I suppose a 25% reduction in skull size isn't impossible, but it seems rather unlikely.

iwillwin1day

Difference in camera technique? I'm unaware of any means that can shrink a skull without the person noticing (extreme pain, etc).
Not just photo. I can see myself in the mirror and I knew from inside my heart my whole head had shrinked from before when I was healthy and have no me CFS.
My height of face is still same but width is smaller then before.
Also it was a slow process. It took 3-4 years of severe head related symptoms like constant severe headache all day, burning head and burning brain (I posted about this before in forum ) and severe brainfog.

iwillwin1day

This picture explain how my whole brain head skull is reduced.
I know microcephaly is inborn problem but I have transitioned from healthy normal head size to smaller head but not as small as microcephaly. Microcephaly is very very small head. I can say I am in between microcephaly and normal head size.
Microcephaly-newborn.jpg

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
@iwillwin1day maybe you can have a look at manganese.
Mn is used for the built up of tissues (here also vitC, see hydroxyproline) and bones. With bones there are changes reported when being very deficient on Mn.

In my case though, low Mn was the first good influence and still seems to be the main one, obviously am poisend from it through ticks/borrelia.

So in my case low Mn is needed, and the degradation of my gums on some places (only) or my slightly smaller head might be due to (a) dysregulation of Mn pathways. It looks paradoxical of course, though one might reason that my iNOS in the brain uses all the Mn up (but I don´t think that this is what happened/s). It seems that since begin of my low Mn diet some teeth havn´t been supported enough (so my improvement is costly, though I might have hindered it, I guess).

Mn is used for only very few (but often very important) tasks. All tasks can be related (sometimes some imagination is needed) to wound healing, I think.

The most important task is the use in the arginase, for splitting up proteins (... which are also needed in an urgent manner when there is a wound). If the arginiase doesn´t function the being will get poisened from ammonia.