• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

List your 3 favorite supplements

anne_likes_red

Quick question :)

Where do those of you who take Lipospheric vit C (Frank and one other I think) get it from? Does your doctor need to prescribe it or can you buy it independently?

ETA Its OK I found it @ iherb :)

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
vit e, NAC, liopic acid, non flush niacin(for cholestrol), melatonin, vit d, 5htp
most are basically antioxidants and NAC and lipoic acid also help protect the liver as i need them because my drug list is alot longer then my supplement list. These supps dont have a direct feelable effect but have alot of science behind them plus with regular blood tests my liver function has been good, also the non flush niacin has dropped my cholesterol, also do b12 injection when i crash which i think helps.

cheers

Biotin is number one right now .. I started at 15 mg for several months .. noticed improvment > THen someone mentioned higher doses are sometimes needed so I upped it to high dose of 30mg .. energy soared taken from a very low point of 35 years of terrible fatigue in one day of treatment !!!

Homeopathics-- hypothalamus to correct my HPA axis. HOmeopathic thymus to boost my immune system. Homeopathic simian virus for my stiff neck.
pancreas for my queezy stomach and general digestion.

Dmannose .. I would have died without it as antibiotics no longer worked for chronic ecoli cystitis infections ..

several others.. Methyl b12.. I use natural factors as I am senstitive to fillers in other brands.
Zinc but need to find one I can tolerate as the one I used zinc carbonate by Thorne Research.
Tapioca C..by Ecological Formulas. dont not take much as I have oxalate problems but super it is something I can tolerate.
Ddrops
Natural calm magnesium oil..

taniaaust1

Ive only ever had 6 things which have helped me (and tried so many different supplements).
My top 3 in order are
1/ Hydroxocobalamin 1000ug injections (B12)
2/ Vitamin C (one which also contains bioflavoids to help body absord it) Great for morning sniffle symptoms.. I'll take 2mg. or if im coming down with a cold will take 2mg morning and night)
3/ Melatonin (1mg before bed)

The other three things which have helped me are 1200mg Calicum daily (for PMS mood swings) and Undenatured Whey (supplies glutathione) and a homoeopathetic med (got rid of my need to pee up to 6x pee night)

taniaaust1

Thanks Leaves.. great thread idea. The results are very interesting. I just analysed them all. There was such a strong finding in this that I think someone professional should be studying why so many of us say the same out of all the so many supplements we have tried.

Analysis of CFS and supplements

24 CFS people have responded with a whooping 15 of those mentioning a B vitamin(s) when asked to "list your three favourite supplements". (my maths isnt good, anyone, what is that in a percent?). 14 of those 15 people take B12. B vitamins in various forms got a mention 25 times as some said more then one form.

The breakdown of the B supplements are 1/ Methyl B12 - 9 (it could be more as i think it also comes injectable)
2/ B complexes/multi Bs - 6 (jarrow was a common brand)
3/ B 12 Injections - 4 (Hydroxocobalamin)
4/ Other forms of B supplements eg Biotin (B7), Panetethine (B1), Niacin (B3), adenosylcobalamin (active B12 form)

So B vitamins esp B12 come in as being the most useful supplements for us by far over anything else.

2/ Magnesium 10 out of 24 people CFS people find helpful. We are using it in various forms, useful in almost half of us.
3/ Vitamin D 8 out of 24 mentioned it as top 3 supplement. One third of us take it.
4/ Multi-vitamins 7 out of 24 thought this was helpful
5/ Vitamin C 5 mentioned it
6/ Actyl L-Carnitine 4 and also Lipoic Acid 4 (listed in favourite supplement in one sixth of us)

Why isnt the fact that we find the B vitamins esp B12 often useful being more recognised?

SaraM

Vitamin D is the worst for me. If I don't take it, I am almost pain free. I suffered from pain for years without knowing the fact that Vit D was the cause.

p.s : Maybe we need a thread for the worst supplements, too.

LaurieL

I don't know if I could come up with only three, as everyone I list here has had some identifiable effect on my condition. The top six I absolutely cannot live without would be and actually its all ten:

1- High dose (40mg) Adenosylcobalimin, with high dose (8800 mcg) Metafolin
2- High dose Biotin (30mg)
3- LCarnitine Fumurate (750 mg) and Potassium Gluconate (540 mg)
4- Source Naturals Magnesium Chloride (133mg)
5- Food Science of Vermont Aller-DMG which gives 750mg Queceritin, 300mg DMG, 150mg Perilla Seed Extract
6- Vitamin C, 2-4000 mg

7- Cats Claw, 3000 mg
8- Tumeric, 1700 mg
9- PABA 1500 mg
10- Niacin, 500mg

I don't take any supplements and I see that I really need to. I will start off a few at a time. Thanks to everyone!

anne_likes_red

For me currently

Magnesium (chloride oil, malate and glycinate)

Taurine

B Vits

It has to be all those, and I can't narrow it down more. They seem to work synergistically for me.

taniaaust1

Linksey.. I suggest trying just one at a time for a few mths unless they are ones which work together. Otherwise its hard to know what is actually doing what, if anything.

dmholmes

Biotin is number one right now .. I started at 15 mg for several months .. noticed improvment > THen someone mentioned higher doses are sometimes needed so I upped it to high dose of 30mg .. energy soared taken from a very low point of 35 years of terrible fatigue in one day of treatment !!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Just 300 mcg was like turning on a switch for me. I found out why afterwards. Benzos, clonazepam for me, deplete biotin (and folate, vitamin D and K, calcium, melatonin). Amazing results so far! I must be very biotin deficient.

I tried many

I tried many all at once and could not really tell which one was working. Then I stopped and tried them separately and I'm pretty sure Acetyl-L-Carnitine is very effective. So:
1) Acetyl-L-Carnitine for energy and clear of mind
2) D ribose
3) Vitamin B12/B complex

What does SAMe helps you with ? Energy?

thx guys!

Boule de feu

A wonderful post! Lots to learn from it.

I will repeat what others said already.

1. EPA-DHA 720 (Fish oil) - for cognitive and cardiovascular health
2. Vitamin B12/multi-vitamins
3. L-tryptophane - sleep, premenstrual syndrome, anxiety, depression, attention deficit disorder, etc.

SaveMe

1. Cod liver oil
2. LDN (not sure yet)
3. uhhh.....magnesium? ?

im about to see if this "methylation stuff" is another scam though

is it appropriate to blame your mother for having this illness? ever? freakin genetics

Gavman

Potassium/Magnesium - cleared my brain fog and that feeling of unwellness.
Probiotics
L-Glutamine

My current faves. :p
Question, has anyone taking l-carnitine without the acetyl, and if so did they notice any benefits?

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Just 300 mcg was like turning on a switch for me. I found out why afterwards. Benzos, clonazepam for me, deplete biotin (and folate, vitamin D and K, calcium, melatonin). Amazing results so far! I must be very biotin deficient.

Great news dmholmes... { my grandparents name was holmes !!! } I am now taking very high doses { up to 80 mg until adding in the form of b6 called p5p has allowed me to decrease that dose } The biotin helps with my candida gut symptoms as well as oxalate related gut problems..

My update ..

I am following the low oxalate protocal as well as failsafe diet, being sensitive to most foods and supps .. I find alot of great supprot from a yahoo group called Trying_Low_ Oxlates } My three favs now are p5p, biotin and citrulline , an amino acid which is giving me alot more energy. ANtoher is allithiamine { a form of thiamine } which has improved my brain fatigue where I am no longer having difficulties with reaction time which gave me slurred speach and difficulties with left/ right brain processing. I reacted to the regular b1 and benfothiamine form with major difficulties sleeping/ gut problems.

nanci
The p5p also improved brain function and has cured years of social paranoia.. Now taking 100mg , planning on trialling a higher dose.