• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Light, nice looking wheelchairs online?

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
I have a regular transport wheelchair for activities that involve walking. No wheels for me to use, just handles for pushing. It is easier to lift out of the car for my hubby OVER AND OVER again. Lighter without wheels.

I was wondering if anyone knows a place to order a light, tatanium wheelchair that folds to take out places like church, large stores, plant nursery etc. My hubby is strong, but the reg. w.chairs seem heavy to me. Bulky too! I would love something nice looking too, is it kind of sad to need the chair for now and a nice looking chair would be good.

Everything I have seen online is $2,000 or more. I am hoping for the POTS to get better so I don't want to invest so much!

Thank you.

Z

Zjay

This is a good development of a wheelchair because they can produce this wheelchair features. And this wheelchair can help more the disabled to maintain his good performances even if he/she has a disablities. If I have an opportunity, I wanted also to invest a wheelchair because it is good in business.

I have one of these:
www.travelscoot.com

It is light enough that I can lift it *myself* and then drive *myself* around wherever I want to go.
My hubby now begs *me* to go to the garden centers with *him* instead of the other way around, because I can tow a wagon behind my scooter ;->

You can rent one to try out for a small fee, and the base model is about $1300.
And Ohmygosh, is this thing FUN :-D
Totally takes the sting out of needing a mobility aid when you catch even teenagers looking at you with *envy* because you're zipping around on a cool gadget instead of being "stuck in a wheelchair".
I actually had to put handicapped logo-stickers on it so that mall-cops wouldn't tell me "You can't ride that in here, ma'am. No skateboards, rollerskates, or... whatever that thing is." ;-p

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
That is so cool. Can you put it in the SUV without taking it apart? I know we wouldn't want to assemble it over and over again. Looks so nice.

Absolutely!
I use a lot of leverage instead of muscle.
I push down on the back and lift up slightly on the handlebars to get the front wheel into the back of my van then I push forward on the handlebars, and and push up-and-forward on the back to roll it forward into the vehicle. No disassembly required.
To get it out, I just roll it backwards, and let the back wheels down gently, then roll the front out.

If I'm feeling particularly spry, I might just heft it up and down by main force, and I *can* do this, I just don't generally have a lot of times where that feels like a good idea ;-p
On really bad days, I will quickly rip the battery off it's velcro, and lift that in and out of my van separately, so that the rest of the scooter is that much easier to move. The battery is about half the overall weight.

But generally, if I feel well enough to get out of the house at all, I'm well able to manage the scooter.

Here's a blog that has a lot of "user-experiences" with the travelscoot:
http://mytravelscoot.blogspot.com/