• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lesser Known T2 Thyroid Hormone Activates Mitochondria

tiredowl

I tried T2 5 years ago and didn't notice anything.

A tad off topic, but the combo of T3 & Vyvanse took me from mostly bed ridden to functional. I have Hashimotos, but my T3 & T4 levels never went below the bottom of the "normal range" & I do have ME, OI, an antibody subclass deficiency, Lyme & hhv6.

Now, despite only treating my Lyme with 3 Mos of doxy & not treating my hhv6, I am able to work a normal job and handle light exertion (i.e. carrying my groceries up the stairs, cleaning the bathroom) taking only the Vyvanse & T3.
The IVIG takes my residual fatigue down a notch and prevents me from getting sick every time I go to a crowded public place, but the Vyvanse & T3 are the core reason for my functionality. Without the T3 & Vyvanse (even with IVIG), I am severely fatigued, orthostatic, gain weight very rapidly, and can't think unless I'm horizontal.

NDT didnt help me much, only Pure T3 thyroid hormone (compounded into an extended release form) because it turns out I convert my T4 into reverse T3 (inhibitor of T3 receptors) rapidly & NDT is mostly T4.

So if you don't/didn't tolerate NDT or synthroid, it may be because you make too much Reverse T3, which can be genetic, caused by high dose steroids & certain beta blockers, infections, autoimmune disease, sleep deprivation, or inflammation/stress.

Pure T3 (compounded extended release or less ideally, cytomel) would be the way to go in that case, but adrenal function must be checked and any deficiencies must be treated before/while thyroid hormone is started or an adrenal crisis can occur.

Aditionally, iodine deficiency will limit the uptake of thyroid hormones into cells (they don't just diffuse through into the cell nucleus as was taught for decades) as well as their production. Signs of iodine deficiency can thus mimic hypothyroidism, but a standout symptom is inability to sweat much/normally.

Iron deficiency (low ferritin, even if your hemoglobin is normal) can also mimic many low thyroid symptoms & be a cause of restless leg syndrome and tinnitus (ringing in the ears).

Immune deficiency & chronic infections can cause fatigue that persists despite treatment of thyroid, adrenal, iron deficiency, and iodine deficiency. So if you got sick often as a kid, have an autoimmune disease, OR if the only symptoms of a cold you seem to get are fatigue and maybe some sore glands/throat while everyone else has a raging fever, cough, etc -- get checked for an immune deficiency (CVID, subclass deficiency, NK deficiency, etc.), & chronic infections (EBV, parvovirus b19, hhv6, lyme, etc.).

Hope that helps someone or another.
''OR if the only symptoms of a cold you seem to get are fatigue and maybe some sore glands/throat while everyone else has a raging fever, cough, etc -- get checked for an immune deficiency''

May I ask what this means? Why would someone with immune deficiency not get very sick while everyone else does?

Paralee

@tiredowl , I don't know, but I'm having big cortisol problems (low) and have auto immune disorders (not sure just what though). I got a cold a couple of summers ago and thought I was on the mend from a Cipro reaction, and maybe other things.
Trying to get a handle on it before I have an adrenal crisis, because although I'm at the bottom of "normal ranges" at 8:30 in the morning, my cortisol won't go above 5 or so and has been lower. My T3 is high on NDT so my endo is changing thyroid meds around at my request. Don't know what else to do, he won't give me replacement cortisol.

tiredowl

@tiredowl , I don't know, but I'm having big cortisol problems (low) and have auto immune disorders (not sure just what though). I got a cold a couple of summers ago and thought I was on the mend from a Cipro reaction, and maybe other things.
Trying to get a handle on it before I have an adrenal crisis, because although I'm at the bottom of "normal ranges" at 8:30 in the morning, my cortisol won't go above 5 or so and has been lower. My T3 is high on NDT so my endo is changing thyroid meds around at my request. Don't know what else to do, he won't give me replacement cortisol.
I have similar issues with cortisol. once it was actually high but when I tested 24 diurnual cortisol it was low all throughout the day.
Maybe it's related to hpa axis dysfunction or something.
Why won't they give replacement cortisol ? It sounds like you need it if you are heading for adrenal crisis.
Did they test for addisons?

Paralee

@tiredowl , I really think it's about the money, lol. "Follow the money". Plus I've had some people "in the know" tell me that the old ones should be eliminated from the payee portions, if you get my drift.
Anyway, they'll do any high costing test I want, I go in for an ultra sound tomorrow for my Hashi'd thyroid, which doesn't produce anymore.
I think maybe I have a MEN, maybe MEN1, I have thyroid Hashi's, hyperparathyroidism, so surely there's another lurking out there somewhere.
I'm looking up my med cross overs and seeing quite a few culprits and problems, though.

Edit: yes, I've had one HCTH stim test, and that was the one morning that my cortisol base was 22, so something is wrong.