• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lane, Hosking (2010) The pathogenesis of murine coronavirus infection of the central

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
Lane TE, Hosking MP. "The pathogenesis of murine coronavirus infection of the central nervous system." Crit Rev Immunol. 2010;30(2):119-30. PMID: 20370625

Department of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, University of California, Irvine, California 92697-3900, USA.
Abstract

Mouse hepatitis virus (MHV) is a positive-strand RNA virus that causes an acute encephalomyelitis that later resolves into a chronic fulminating demyelinating disease. Cytokine production, chemokine secretion, and immune cell infiltration into the central nervous system are critical to control viral replication during acute infection. Despite potent antiviral T-lymphocyte activity, sterile immunity is not achieved, and MHV chronically persists within oligodendrocytes. Continued infiltration and activation of the immune system, a result of the lingering viral antigen and RNA within oligodendrocytes, lead directly to the development of an immune-mediated demyelination that bears remarkable similarities, both clinically and histologically, to the human demyelinating disease multiple sclerosis. MHV offers a unique model system for studying host defense during acute viral infection and immune-mediated demyelination during chronic infection.

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
interesting that this starts with an acute infection in mice. That isn't present in human MS, is it?

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
They have apparently really looked into what triggers relapses in MS - and infections do and stress can - and other things don't. Interesting that some periods of pregnancy appear to be good for MS and others bad - which I think is true for CFS. Here is some information on triggers....from Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_sclerosis

Multiple sclerosis relapses are often unpredictable, occurring without warning and without obvious inciting factors with a rate rarely above one and a half per year.[1] Some attacks, however, are preceded by common triggers. Relapses occur more frequently during spring and summer.[16] Viral infections such as the common cold, influenza, or gastroenteritis increase the risk of relapse.[1] Stress may also trigger an attack.[17] Pregnancy affects the susceptibility to relapse, with a lower relapse rate at each trimester of gestation. During the first few months after delivery, however, the risk of relapse is increased.[1] Overall, pregnancy does not seem to influence long-term disability. Many potential triggers have been examined and found not to influence MS relapse rates. There is no evidence that vaccination and breast feeding,[1] physical trauma,[18] or Uhthoff's phenomenon[16] are relapse triggers.

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
triggers of relapses are interesting--thanks for doing the search for me (I was lazy last night because it was late). I was interested in initial onset, too.

WebMD says,
The most common early symptoms of MS include:

* Tingling
* Numbness
* Loss of balance
* Weakness in one or more limbs
* Blurred or double vision

Less common symptoms of MS may include:

* Slurred speech
* Sudden onset of paralysis
* Lack of coordination
* Cognitive difficulties

I found an interesting case report of atypical onset of MS with silent coeliac disease and autoimmune hepatitis; they're saying "inflammatory immune-mediated damage of the CNS triggered by gluten could not be excluded" and MS-like disease with MRI abnormalities is a small subset in coeliacs.