• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

L. plantarum (and other bacteria mental helpers) - what supps and foods contain this ?

Bansaw

I hear that L. plantarum is very good for serotonin production.
What foods/supplements are good for that?
I'm wary of taking probitic supp since the bacteria in those capsules are "less alive" than those found in natural foods.
Opinions?

Also, what other bacteria influence the brain positively?
I heard Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium are good too.

I'm thinking of doing kefir, and maybe sauerkraut ..?

Eastman

Sources of L plantarum according to the paper Lactobacillus plantarum with Functional Properties: An Approach to Increase Safety and Shelf-Life of Fermented Foods:
Lb. plantarum is a potential probiotic and is mainly from fermented food systems, including pickles, sauerkraut, Korean kimchi, brined olives, sourdough, Nigerian Ogi, and other fermented fruits and vegetables and also some cheeses, fermented sausages, and stockfish (unsalted fish, especially cod).

Details can be found in the paper.

Bansaw

thanks, I did some more digging and found this too.
Question is how do I get these into my body. Kefir, Kimchi, Sauerkraut. And probiotic products I suspect. I am also considering FMT.
1612060581510.png

Learner1

I hear that L. plantarum is very good for serotonin production.
What foods/supplements are good for that?
I'm wary of taking probitic supp since the bacteria in those capsules are "less alive" than those found in natural foods.
Opinions?

Also, what other bacteria influence the brain positively?
I heard Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium are good too.

I'm thinking of doing kefir, and maybe sauerkraut ..?
The Viome test suggested I take lactobacillus plantarum. I took this one:

"Vitamins and Supplements, Natural Health Products, Organic Foods - Swanson Health Products" https://www.swansonvitamins.com/swa...ZH-ncX7DN7vt89Mpx91nbyFFhj4pieDBoCbjAQAvD_BwE