• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Kefir For ME/CFS?- Study suggests promising results

valia

Valia I would be grateful for any info on where I could get some Kefir grains here in the UK. I have tried the sachets but understand they are not as good as the grains.

Hi maryb,

I think I have sent you a PM? Let me know cos I can't remember pressing send and I haven't saved a copy :ashamed:

Hi guys I got my kefir grains sent by Sunday(thanks so much) and have a couple of questions. Do you have to strain them and add milk every 24 hours or what length of time is best? Also when conering them does the cover need to seal them or should it be something like a paper towel? Any tips for taking care of these wonderful grains is apprecated. Thanks Al

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Thanks once again to Valia for the link, received mine by post the following day.:Sign Good Job:
I cover mine 90% with cling film, just for hygiene as dogs shaking in the kitchen etc. My first batch took 48hrs and was absolutely delicious, I just strained the grains with a fine sieve and put them into another clean jug with more milk, it help to start with less milk (1/2pin)t on a new batch, increase the quantities as the culture grows, oh and a good tip was to freeze some in a small container so if you lose your main one you've always got spare. Good luck with and enjoy.

Kefir Results

I got my live Kefir from someone on this thread in July and have been drinking it almost every day since. My Mom just visited for two weeks and said I am better than she has seen me in the last 20 years, which is when I got Fibro and CFS.

I have only been drinking about 2 oz a day as I started with a small amount and have given some of the grains away three times. I started with a couple tablespoons of the live. Recently I measured and I had 3/4ths of a cup of the live grains. I sent 1/4 of them up to my sister since she had been using the dried grains.

Every morning I take a shaker and put all of my powdered supplements into it, such as d-ribose, protein powder, msm, etc. Then I add the liquid supplements like a couple drops of amino acids, Vit D3 and methylB12 etc. I add a couple ounces of pomegranite juice and shake it up.
Then I put my kefir in a strainer and add what drips through, and a large Tbsp or two of homemade yogurt.

I shake it up and drink it. On occasion I'll put that concoction in a blender and add a banana, apple orstrawberries or blueberries, but only on occasion. My point in sharing all of this is, I don't have any stomach upset when I mix the kefir with other foods etc.

I have had a very touchy stomach for years and learned that putting everything together disguised the taste, and my stomach felt fine whereas if I took things individually it might get upset.
I'd recommend trying to mix the kefir with something like choc whey powder or something else to get it down and see if that helps those of you who had stomach reactions.

I love to listen to my kefir before I separate it. It's bubbling and fizzing in there and letting me know it's alive.

I always used organic milk, but I have found I must be very aware when purchasing it as many companies ultrapasteurize their organic milk. Kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it? Anyway, I've read that nothing including kefir will grow with ultrapasteurized.

Live kefir grains also prefer whole milk vs skim milk as they need the fat to grow.

As to my feeling better? I haven't had much time to be on this web site because I've been working part time in a rather physical job. Somethings working... Praise the Lord!

Advocate

I got my live Kefir from someone on this thread in July and have been drinking it almost every day since...I started with a small amount and have given some of the grains away three times.!

I'm the someone, and it makes me really happy that the grains I sent are multiplying and then being passed on. That's what I hoped would happen. I'm also glad they are helping you.

Sunday

Angel, I'm really happy to hear about your success with kefir! And thanks for sharing your recipes. It is great news that "something" is working for you, and encouraging to me to hear about it (I've been using kefir for about 2 months now).

I will mention that whey powder can be a problem for some of us as it's a glutathione precursor. For some people this works well, for others it can mess up the methylation cycle as it interferes with the absorption of active B12s (I'm doing Freddd's protocol, so I'm getting a lot of education in methylation and B12 metabolism).

Sunday

Al, I sent you a PM on this, but in case it's useful for others I'll re-post (or riposte) here. (Sorry about the delay; I took a week off of being online. Sometimes I really need that.)

Kefir is a fermenting food, so just like when you make wine or beer or sauerkraut, you need some place for the fermenting gasses to escape. That means you don't want to seal it completely. I put a mason jar lid loosely on the top of the jar, without screwing it down. This keeps things from fizzing to a pop but doesn't allow any crud to fall in.

People seem to have different tastes in how long you should ferment kefir; I'm guessing that 24 hours is the minimum required. I'm still playing around with this myself, and I imagine the ambient temperature, specific kefir culture, and local good yeasts (which are supposed to get into your kefir, another reason for not sealing it) are all variables in how long it takes. Dom has lots of info on his site about what happens when you ferment longer, add herbs and other things to the fermentation, etc. Kat, whom I got my grains from, says she doesn't like hers sour and gives the too-sour stuff to her chickens - who have been laying like crazy all through the winter!

I have tried my first small servings of kefir for the last two days. My GI is not real happy. Is it common for it to get worse before improving? I plan to go slow but I have been taking s-boulardii and a probiotic for a few weeks prior to starting kefir. Any thoughts?

Sunday

I did read one site that advises sort of titrating your kefir dose: start out with about 2 oz., then move slowly up; kefir can cause some ructions in some people. Since the kefir is killing off bad bacteria and yeasts and replacing them with good ones, I suspect we get a bit of dieoff fallout. I'm not sure, but my reading suggests that real kefir has bacteria and yeasts not found in other probiotics, so your digestive system may be adjusting. Would it help to try kefir with food instead of on its own? Maybe you're already doing this. One way would be to put a little of it into a smoothie.

F

fabant

Valia, I'm in the UK looking for Kefir grains. Could you let me know where from?
Just joined this site and am so grateful and amazed at all the info.

valia

Valia, I'm in the UK looking for Kefir grains. Could you let me know where from?
Just joined this site and am so grateful and amazed at all the info.

Hi fabant, I just sent you a pm.

It's nice to be usefull for something (for a change) :D

MNC

I tried both milk and water kefir and after a few days I didn't tolerate any of them because of the alcohol it contains. It's enough to make me very sick as any alcohol. It's amazing the intolerance to alcohol I have.

Sunday

That's a wrinkle I hadn't considered. I know there is an infinitesimal amount of alcohol in kefir, but since I'm not sensitive to alcohol (I have the occasional drink or two and it doesn't seem to make a difference, well except for the temporary type...) I hadn't thought how it might affect people who are. You really are.

brenda

I want to try kefir and wonder if there is anyone in Germany here or in Europe who can send me grains. I want to use young coconut milk for it as I am off dairy and don't want to risk taking it yet. Thanks.

I have also got a few macrobiotic ingredient which are good for bacteria in the gut. One is fermented radish or diakon pickles which are said to be excellent and umboshi plums.

MNC

That's a wrinkle I hadn't considered. I know there is an infinitesimal amount of alcohol in kefir, but since I'm not sensitive to alcohol (I have the occasional drink or two and it doesn't seem to make a difference, well except for the temporary type...) I hadn't thought how it might affect people who are. You really are.

Actually kefir has around 3% alcohol. A beer has 5%. It is quite a lot of alcohol for CFS people. I definetely got drunk and sick with it.

sela

okay, i am sold. my only little quibble is the milk aspect. i have been avoiding it when i started my candida diet. i thought that people with gut issues were supposed to avoid milk. however... is there anyone still out there willing to send grains to california?

Hysterical Woman

okay, i am sold. my only little quibble is the milk aspect. i have been avoiding it when i started my candida diet. i thought that people with gut issues were supposed to avoid milk. however... is there anyone still out there willing to send grains to california?

Hi sela,

I think there is water kefir and also coconut kefir, maybe they are made the same way?

Also I think if you google kefir and candida there will be some sites that say kefir can help - others say it hurts - jury must still be out.

HW

K

_Kim_

Actually kefir has around 3% alcohol. A beer has 5%. It is quite a lot of alcohol for CFS people. I definetely got drunk and sick with it.

According to Dom,
kefir contains between 0.08% to 2% alcohol. However, about .08 to .1% alcohol is a realistic figure for 1-day cultured kefir. Whereas kefir stored for a number of days after separating the natural mother-culture (kefir grains) contained up to 2% alcohol, and possibly 3% alcohol, depending on the type of milk and ripening conditions.

K

_Kim_

Hi sela,

I think there is water kefir and also coconut kefir, maybe they are made the same way?

Also I think if you google kefir and candida there will be some sites that say kefir can help - others say it hurts - jury must still be out.

HW

Water kefir (kefir d'aqua) and coconut kefir are both made with water-kefir grains, which are different from milk-kefir grains.
They have an opaque texture in comparison to traditional milk kefir-grains of Caucasus. The grains are firm, transparent and fragile; they easily break apart with little applied force. Water-kefir grains are not gel-like or slimy in consistency to milk kefir-grains nor are they white in colour.