• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

(Junk?) (UK) Consumer demand and NHS services

Dolphin

I don't know if the following is really true or whether it can be used to say patients with ME/CFS don't want GET and CBT based on GET services and so that should not be what is offered?
"it is not only evidence-based, RCTs that determine what interventions are introduced into clinical practice, but also consumer demand (Department of Health, 1999)."

-----
Background:

Somebody sent me this:

Br J Psychiatry. 2002 Dec;181:468-72.
From passive subjects to equal partners: qualitative review of user involvement in research.
Trivedi P, Wykes T.
Full free text:
http://bjp.rcpsych.org/cgi/content/full/181/6/468

I can't say I found it particularly exciting, nor am I recommending people read it.

The quote is from:

How will dissemination occur?
The dissemination of clinical research findings generally occurs only in peer-reviewed journals and during academic conference presentations. These usually have an impact only on a relatively small number of clinicians who are research-oriented, and the Department of Health and funding bodies have stressed that a much wider dissemination process is necessary. In particular, dissemination to users is essential since, in the new consumer orientation of the UK NHS, it is not only evidence-based, randomised, controlled trials that determine what interventions are introduced into clinical practice, but also consumer demand (Department of Health, 1999).

Reference:
Department of Health (1999) Patient and Public Involvement in the New NHS.
London: Department of Health.

---------