• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Journalist asking for leads re science in government

Lesley

Dan Froomkin posted a story on Huffington Post today about the delay by the Obama administration in implementing new rules on science integrity in government:

Last March, President Obama promised he'd have a strategy for restoring scientific integrity to the federal government on hand by July 29. A full year later, federal agencies still have not received any new directives and some government scientists say that conditions have not improved noticeably since Obama took power.

The article is interesting on its own merits, but even more important:

Readers: Do you have any personal experience related to the relationship between science and politics in federal agencies -- and how that has or hasn't changed since the Bush era? E-mail Dan Froomkin at froomkin@huffingtonpost.com.

I plan to write to him. If anyone has been contacting journalists, please add him to your list.

Jerry S

Very interesting article, Lesley. It sounds like Dan Froomkin would be a good person to contact regarding the CDC's and HHS's interference with the publication of the Alter paper. I've already written John Holdren.

Thanks!

Stone

I'm not able to do it right now, but maybe someone who is able to might send him a link to the great article in CFS Central. That ought to get him very interested and maybe one thing might lead to another.

taniaaust1

I send an email.. if anyone else sends then and maybe adds the important links i havent (wall street journal blog or whatever) would be great.

The mail i sent was (its not great but at least it's something

"Readers: Do you have any personal experience related to the relationship between science and politics in federal agencies -- and how that has or hasn't changed since the Bush era? E-mail Dan Froomkin at froomkin@huffingtonpost.com. "

Im in Australia and your science and politics affects even those over here, it affects the world!. I say this due to what has been going on with the CDC for past 25 years and some science corruption. Ask those with the deabiliting illness called chronic fatigue syndrome.

Not just in the past due the CDC interfere twice in CFS false research or corruption, but they've just done it again (or those in a government department even higher. the HHS)

The FDA and the NHI were about to have a scientific study published, it had been accepted by a good scientific journal. The CDC thou at the very last minute before it was published, asked for the journal to hold the study as the FDA and NHI study had the opposite results to the failed CDC study and the CDC said conflicting studies shouldnt be published and hence this all needed to be sorted out before publication.

Then a very short time later (days???), the CDC publishes it's so called replication study which wasnt even a true replication study, while the FDA/NHI study which the whole scienctific community is waiting to see as well as CFS patients all over the world is now still on hold.

Is this all due to the new American health reform?? Maybe they do not want a health crisis the postive studies would of caused, not enough funding??? If you research and compare to other illnesses, CFS is one of the lowest funded illnesses, i think governments and insurance companies do not want this to be a "real illness" but rather something in peoples heads as it's much cheaper to then deal with. Why has politics clearly come before science once again in the cause of CFS?

I'm not great at telling the whole story but all the evidence is out there. Even Wall street journal blog has been writing about it.. and the science journal.

http://vimeo.com/13048135 (CDC's history with CFS.. 1996 ABC PrimeTime Live report)

http://www.forums.aboutmecfs.org/content.php?180-The-CDC-XMRV-Study-How-Not-to-Find-XMRV

Yours Sincerely

Tanya ***** (Australia).

taniaaust1

" Why has politics clearly come before science once again in the cause of CFS?"

whoops .:eek: . i just saw my mistake but mail has been sent now. It said "cause" instead of "case" ... lol maybe politics can cause CFS :Retro tongue: , it stresses and impacts us enough

*GG*

" Why has politics clearly come before science once again in the cause of CFS?"

whoops .:eek: . i just saw my mistake but mail has been sent now. It said "cause" instead of "case" ... lol maybe politics can cause CFS :Retro tongue: , it stresses and impacts us enough

That's the way life is, there is always a political calculation before "things" are put out there!

I think you mean NIH not NHI?