• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Jan 18th Webinar with Dr. Lucinda Bateman

G

George

Webinar on Jan. 18: Dr. Lucinda Bateman

Today at 3:10pm

Please join us for an online webinar:

XMRV: Implications for CFS

Speaker: Lucinda Bateman, MD of Fatigue Consultation Clinic in Salt Lake City
Moderated by Suzanne D. Vernon, PhD
Date: Monday, January 18, 2010
Time: 12:00 PM - 1:30 PM EST

Reserve your Webinar seat now at: https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/738649729

Dr. Lucinda Bateman

Dr. Lucinda Bateman, an internist whose practice is dedicated to the management and care of chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) and fibromyalgia, walks through the basics of the latest research linking XMRV (a human retrovirus) and CFS. She will also share some insights into what this discovery might mean for the field and for patients, as well as her perspective on other current research efforts.

Dr. Suzanne Vernon

Dr. Suzanne Vernon is the CFIDS Association's scientific director. She holds her doctorate in virology from the University of Wisconsin and had 17 years experience in public health research on infectious diseases before joining the Associations staff in 2007 to lead its research program. Dr. Vernon will moderate the program. For up-to-date information about XMRV including links to three articles written by Dr. Vernon about recent studies, please visit the Association's web site at http://www.cfids.org/XMRV/default.asp.

Directions for Participating in the Webinar:
- Register at https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/738649729
- You will need to have online and telephone (or VOIP) access to both see the slide presentation and hear the audio presentation.
- After registering you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the Webinar.
- The event is free to attend. If you connect to the audio using telephone, you will be charged for the cost of your telephone call. Audio access is free is you have VoIP (voice over Internet protocol).
- You must preregister in order to participate.
- Participation is limited, so please register as soon as possible.
- The program will be archived on our web site for later access by participants and those not able to take part in the "live" online event.

System Requirements
PC-based attendees
Required: Windows 2000, XP Home, XP Pro, 2003 Server, Vista

Macintosh-based attendees
Required: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) or newer

K

_Kim_

I'm registered.

I think it's okay, but after I registered, the confirmation page bleeped out and I was redirected back to the CAA main page. I got a confirmation email, so it should still work.

Who else is tuning in?

Kati

Patient in training
Not only I'm registered, I reserved the date!!!!!!!!!! Looking forward to it- and who knows maybe in the meantime, CDC will release its replication study results....
Should we invite Reeves and Wessley to attend?

D

DysautonomiaXMRV

What is VOIP? Does it mean using a PC with DSL and using a headset on Skype?

Also why do they need our home address if it's free?

Thanks

FernRhizome

Hi Folks:
I just tried to register too though it seemed to insist on connecting me to the immediate webinair seminar which didn't happen & I didn't get an e-mail confirmation. I'll try again. Anyone else have that problem?

And here's my other question: on the registration form there was a pull down menu to ask if I'd attended any of the other XMRV webinair talks by Klimas, Bell etc. I didn't know there had been any such talks!!! Does anyone else know? I'd dearly love to see the Bell talk on XMRV. As far as I knew, he hadn't had it recorded or streamed, but it is listed on the pull down menu on the webinair registration site. ~FernRhizome

CBS

What is VOIP? Does it mean using a PC with DSL and using a headset on Skype?

Also why do they need our home address if it's free?

Thanks

Voice Over Internet Protocol (more like via your cable provider). I don't have VOIP but I do use skype. Pretty sure (but entirely so) that I'm going to need to call in. Don't know why they need my address.

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
I imagine they want to send you a 'join the CFIDS Association' piece of mail. Regardless - its free, the speakers are great and I'm in. Good for the CAA for putting on such an easy event to attend. And Prohealth as well for their Jan 22 Mikovits talk: taking advantage of the Internet

CBS

I'm pretty sure Skype = (a brand name of) VOIP.

Hi FE,

You are right, skype is VOIP. And I do hope to use it for the video conference but sometimes VOIP means something more specific, that your phone service is provided over the internet and that requires a cable modem with a phone jack. I am hoping they don't mean the later but I don't know why they would specify the need to either call in on a telephone or have VOIP to get the audio via your computer. Hmmmm?

anne_likes_red

Me too.

I registered too, I meant to before - thanks for bumping it up RIH :Retro smile: I'm interested to see how this works! I hope!

The time is...well...early for me - 6am (Tuesday).

Sing

I'm in too. There is supposed to be a snow storm all day here so a good day to huddle around the computer. I hope the sound works on my new Mac but maybe I will have to call in to get sound. It will be fun to discuss this later!

Sing

G

George

It's a "teleconference set up". You must have phone for sound and the internet which will provide video or slides. The reason for the split is the problem of bandwidth. If you watched the CFSAC you may have notice the choppy video which, was due to the amount of bandwidth needed to stream "live". You can package sound and video with a compression software like MP4 and put it on YouTube or on the web and it streams well but, "live" is a different dog. (kinda too big to fit think St. Bernard vs Yorkie)

Anyways You will call a number which will connect you to a sound server and then go to a designated address (www.something.net/whatever/overhear) and then you watch the whole thing in real time. It's pretty cool.

I'll have to wait for the archive version since I have phone or I have net but don't have both at the same time. So if anything really cool happens you all need to make sure to post! (big soulful doggie eyes begging (grins))

Have fun