• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Jan 18th Webinar with Dr. Lucinda Bateman

K

_Kim_

thank you for the updates,

please keep them coming

So far, the slides have been almost the same as her other lecture that she gave in December. (The only new slide I've seen is one about the Imperial College Study)

CJB

Retroviruses cause:

weakness
wasting
ataxia (imbalanced gait or walk)
arthritis
dementia
neuropathy (damage to nerves)

Any condition characterized by immune dysfunction -- sorry slide changed

anne_likes_red

She's describing the history of the study into retroviruses.

Those patients in the original Science study were severely ill.

A Japanese study showed 1 - 2% in the general population showed evidence of XMRV.

CJB

Study cohort were a select group who showed low NK cell function, abnormal RNase L pathway, elevated cytokines. May NOT represent CFS sufferers generally and more research is needed to clear this up.

XMRV has an association with CFS in the study but has not been proven to be the cause. We have a lot more to do to know what that association means. It may be present for other reasons because of other illnes that has caused ID.

There have been hints of retrovirus (defritas) in the past.

I'm getting tired -- someone else take over!

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
Yes tried it both ways. Kept getting 'Install Error" unable to find Folder - I'm using Vista, it should be able to handle it. I don't know how to disable the Security - I'll just get the archived verson. (And send the webinar company a nasty message as well :))

K

_Kim_

Slide on XMRV testing

tAYNh.jpg

CJB

Yes tried it both ways. Kept getting 'Install Error" unable to find Folder - I'm using Vista, it should be able to handle it. I don't know how to disable the Security - I'll just get the archived verson. (And send the webinar company a nasty message as well :))

Cort, open your security software. There should be options for turning it off. I had to restart my computer a couple of times, too. There's another hour to go -- keep trying!!

CJB

Kim -- you rock!! I thought I was having a flashback when I saw the same thing in your message I'm seeing on the screen!!!!!!

Nina

Totally stupid question: Dr. Bateman just said that having antibodies against XMRV does not prove that you have an active infection (my wording, not hers). But considering that a retrovirus will stay in your body forever, doesn't that prove that you have it in you? Active or not, it might become active at any time. Or is it possible that you had contact with the virus and your immune system was able to fight it off completely?

Edit: Ok, Kim's slide just answered this: It may be confounded...

anne_likes_red

She has suggested that groups of people are hunkered down in their labs all over (the US at least) studying XMRV right now. She said the Retrovirology community is "on fire".

anne_likes_red

Most people (assume she means scientists) would argue that the IC study was looking for something different than the Science study, rather than that there is no XMRV in the UK study participants.