• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

James Coyne: Should authors declare a conflict of interest...

Cheshire

GD Smith needs to clear out his 'scientific' broom cupboard a bit I think.

Or to put it another way maybe he should get that Papal beam out of his own eye before mentioning the choirboy's mote in Coyne's.

You cannot make this stuff up, can you?

It is very difficult to understand GDS' behaviour. I reread his article on the limits of the BPS model recently, it is pretty good actually. How can a man who wrote such a piece support Esther Crawley's poor studies?

Beyond that, he often presents himself as a "leftist", but clearly stands by the side of those in power against weak patients here.

Last edited:

JohnM

@Keith Geraghty

Firstly thank you for your sustained and continuing work on the behalf of all #PWME ..

Thought this NICE 'Policy on Conflicts of Interest' would be of help with regard to refuting the absurd requests of Professors White, Chalder and Sharpe:

https://www.nice.org.uk/Media/Defau...laring-and-managing-conflicts-of-interest.pdf

My formatting and bolding, a couple of extracts as follows:

(p3)
Who is covered by the policy
8. This policy applies, in its relevant sections, to the following groups:
  • Board members and employees of NICE
  • Employees of NICE national collaborating centres
  • Committee chairs and members (including coopted members) and remunerated expert advisers
  • Appeal panel members
  • Agency workers and contractors on temporary contracts or employed through an agency to work for NICE
  • Secondees (those who are seconded to NICE from other organisations)
  • Employees of ‘evidence contractors’ working directly or indirectly to supply evidence that is used by the guidance producing advisory bodies

Recognising a conflict of interest
9. A conflict of interest arises when the judgement of someone involved in the work of NICE may be compromised, by the financial or other considerations set out in this policy.

10. To avoid public concern that any such interests might prejudice the integrity or impartiality of those involved in
the business of NICE, this Code of Practice applies to all those who work at NICE and who are involved in the development of its guidance and the execution of its other functions.

11. The determination as to whether or not a declared interest is in conflict with the work of NICE will involve the application of this policy and will sometimes require careful judgement based on the facts and the nature of the business being conducted. In the event of doubt, it is best determined by considering how the interest will be perceived by an ordinary member of the public.

12. For the avoidance of doubt, the fact that an individual is living with a disease or condition, or has a family member who is in that position, is not regarded as a conflict of interest. (See Definitions for an explanation of ‘family member’.)

13. This policy is intended as a guide to the kinds of interests that should be declared and when they should be declared. If in doubt, all interests should be declared.

Wishing you and all improved health and every happiness,

John :)

*edit .. initial block quote edited for easier reading

Last edited:

JohnM

And more from the document above ..

(p9)
Personal non-financial interest
29. A personal non-financial interest in the matters under consideration refers to an opinion on the matters under consideration published in the 12 months before joining an advisory committee or during the period of membership of an advisory committee.

30. Examples include:
  • A clear opinion, reached as the conclusion of a research project, about the clinical and/or cost effectiveness of an intervention under review.
  • A published statement in which the individual has expressed a clear opinion about the matter under consideration, which could reasonably be interpreted as prejudicial to an objective interpretation of the evidence.
  • Authoring or co-authoring a document submitted as an evidence publication to a NICE advisory committee.
  • Holding office in a professional organisation (see Definitions for an explanation of ‘professional organisations’), charity or advocacy group with a direct interest in the matter under consideration.
  • Other reputational risks in relation to a matter under review.

I think it highly likely the above examples would apply to some members of CDG (Guideline Development Group) in my opinion.

If time and energies allow, I think I recall mention of an Annual Register of Conflicts of Interest, which may well be worth investigating; likely be illuminating to see what 'conflicts of interest' these members have/have not declared?

Likewise, perhaps a new thread for discussion of this and related NICE guideline documents would be useful?

John

Thought this NICE 'Policy on Conflicts of Interest' would be of help with regard to refuting the absurd requests of Professors White, Chalder and Sharpe:

https://www.nice.org.uk/Media/Defau...laring-and-managing-conflicts-of-interest.pdf
NICE 'Policy on Conflicts of Interest' said:
Recognising a conflict of interest
12. For the avoidance of doubt, the fact that an individual is living with a disease or condition, or has a family member who is in that position, is not regarded as a conflict of interest. (See Definitions for an explanation of ‘family member’.)
That is extremely helpful @JohnM. Another example it would seem of the BPS crew not doing their homework, and failing to realise that NICE itself deems this not a conflict of interest. Their greatest skill seems to be shooting themselves in the foot.

Last edited: