• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is there a good B complex supplement that helps, esp. with neurotransmitters ?

linusbert

mag glycinate, along with a small amount (0.25 mg) of melatonin, and about 250 mgs of Vit C .... all work at blocking the NMDA receptors, and reducing the dominance of glutamate/glutamic acid.

thanks. i even have all these things here.
i am not sure if this is my kind of problem though. i fall asleep in minutes.
i also do not have panic anxiety attacks... though i have something other weird psychological (i guess). i sometimes have a hard time swallowing.. not of any muscle problems but because i have anxiety to sleep and choke. this was gone for years... came back when i started vitamin D and active b complex... though kinda went away again.
this was one of my first symptoms before i crash years later. i had hard time to eat... i definitely was running hypocaloric like 2000cal if at all... and it took me like almost an hour to get the food down.
the timely setting in after vitamin D and B makes me think that something else in my brain isnt working.
guess i am MENTAL AFTER ALL...

though some foods i still cannot eat. i thought it went better after i ate only stuff my girl cooked. its really depending on the kitchen... idk...

The tricky part is that calcium can also trigger stress responses, because things like the NMDA receptors and AMPA receptors are calcium ion-gated .... so continuing with the mag gly at spaced intervals with whatever form of calcium you chose, is essential ....."

but then there is the calcium part. i for sure had weird calcium issues in my body. high but normal calcium levels. maybe it really is this kind of problem.
i mean starting vitamin D after 4ng/ml in blood definitely solves some serious calcium issues. i dont know what the problem is , too less.. too much. both?

YippeeKi YOW !!

i had hard time to eat... i definitely was running hypocaloric like 2000cal if at all... and it took me like almost an hour to get the food down.
Dysphagia, difficulty swallowing, has a lot of causes, from stroke to MS to muscle issues, but it can also be caused by nervous system and brain disorders. Since ME includes a lot of nervous system issues, I'm guessing that might be behind your problem.

So yeah, it could be GABA/glutamate .... but who knows .... above my pay grade .....

linusbert

Dysphagia, difficulty swallowing, has a lot of causes, from stroke to MS to muscle issues, but it can also be caused by nervous system and brain disorders. Since ME includes a lot of nervous system issues, I'm guessing that might be behind your problem.

So yeah, it could be GABA/glutamate .... but who knows .... above my pay grade .....

Yes, many causes for difficulty swallowing. Esophogeal thrush is one.

its not anatomically, my doctor did look down there with a mirror didnt see anything too suspicious. some bit irritation because of reflux.
i also did x-ray while swallowing. muscles seam to work if they want.

i think its neurological or mental.
it also worsens over the day, its easier in the morning and later that day gets worse and worse. i guess its some kind of exhaustion.

i also had long time some other kind of psychogical issue with having somehow low mental barrier. i had a hard time to emotional differentiate between fiction and reality. not on a logical level but on a emotional level. if i saw violence in TV it had a too strong impact, at some point i stopped to watch anything with violence. that as well got worse throughout the day.

Last edited:

YippeeKi YOW !!

i think its neurological or mental.
it also worsens over the day, its easier in the morning and later that day gets worse and worse. i guess its some kind of exhaustion.
Since ME includes a lot of nervous system issues, I'm guessing that might be behind your problem.

I'm still putting my money on nervous system disorder. It's something many, if not all of us have, to varying degree and in multiple different ways, because it expresses differently in all of us.

I get occasional dysphagia, and I've almost choked out more times on it than I want to remember. Very frightening.

And then POOF!!! The episodes just ... stop. But it seems to always come back, eventually. Sometimes it's fairly mild, very occasionally it reaches the "God, help me, I think I'm dying, oh God, oh God, oh God ...." level. I've never been able to figure out what causes it, but very slowly, it seems to be getting better. It's less and less frequent, less and less terrible.

Hopefully, that'll happen for you too, Cuddly Seal ...

Bansaw

Thanks all...
I got some Country Life B complex, 60... I'll try a couple of capsules a day for a month, see if it makes a difference.
Also, will check out L-Methionine. I've tried everything else, why not!

linusbert

Hopefully, that'll happen for you too, Cuddly Seal ...
oh thanks a lot :cat::fish: (there is no seal icon so i use the fish and the cat)

actually it got better A LOT. it was ugly for years, then i crashed... it basically went away like the other psycho symptoms as well. but then there were those episodes starting half a year ago. going on and off. but its manageable.

but i am still wondering whats the cause of this. well maybe its the gaba/glutamate thing.

Thanks all...
I got some Country Life B complex, 60... I'll try a couple of capsules a day for a month, see if it makes a difference.
Also, will check out L-Methionine. I've tried everything else, why not!
some of us use pulsing (take it every other day or every other other day)

YippeeKi YOW !!

I'll try a couple of capsules a day for a month, see if it makes a difference.
OH good lord.....NOOOOOOOOO.

Start with 1/2 cap, see if it takes you down in any way. If not, after abt 1 week, move up to 1 capsule a day. Hold on that til you're sure. Then maybe 1 cap with breakfast, or whatever you have in the AM and 1 cap with dinner, so long as it's not too close to bedtime ...

Don't rush this, or you may go down in flames and lose a potentially valuable asset ....

Bansaw

OH good lord.....NOOOOOOOOO.

Start with 1/2 cap, see if it takes you down in any way. If not, after abt 1 week, move up to 1 capsule a day. Hold on that til you're sure. Then maybe 1 cap with breakfast, or whatever you have in the AM and 1 cap with dinner, so long as it's not too close to bedtime ...

Don't rush this, or you may go down in flames and lose a potentially valuable asset ....
ah, ok, I'll start off slow.
some of us use pulsing (take it every other day or every other other day)
I'll look at that too. I found that Acetyl-L-Carnitine / Acetylcholine worked great for me, and I was careful with it, I was on for 2-3 days then off for 4 days. I still habituated : (

YippeeKi YOW !!

how did you figure that out?
The way all of us figure anything out. Repeated episodes of unpleasant symptoms without any known trigers. Except ..... there were those soft gels ..... those gelatin caps..... hmmmm ..... worth a stab .... and then BINGO !!!
my husband recent stroke got me wondering if it was triggered by Gelatin capsules....
If it was, then he has extreme sensitivity to glutamate in any form, which is what gelatin capsules and soft gels are made of.

And by the way, I dont doubt that possibility, as at least part of the equation if not the whole E=mc2

Here's the weird thing and one of those bizarre thingies that just makes me deeply loathe this crappy little shit-storm of an illness .... after years of recalibrating my system, I can now tolerate modest doses of gelatin but NOT capsules or soft gels. Which is baffling, and counter -intuitive ...

linusbert

Cuddly fluffy, witty and ..... smart !!!!! What a combo ....
I feel pretty, Oh, so pretty,
I feel pretty and witty and gaaaaay :redface:

1679261036724.png

Here's the weird thing and one of those bizarre thingies that just makes me deeply loathe this crappy little shit-storm of an illness .... after years of recalibrating my system, I can now tolerate modest doses of gelatin but NOT capsules or soft gels. Which is baffling, and counter -intuitive ...

i wonder if its just gelatine or the glycerine. softgels usually always come with glycerine.
also palmtree(kernel)oil is often used , hidden as mct.
i reacted to that with stomach issues in another supplement.

YippeeKi YOW !!

i wonder if its just gelatine or the glycerine. softgels usually always come with glycerine.
Not for me. I react the same way to regular dry capsules made with gelatin ....
also palmtree(kernel)oil is often used , hidden as mct.
That's interesting !!! And total news to me ..... the MCT didn't occur to me as a possibility for glutamate reactions, because I used small amounts of coconut oil, without any bad reactions, to try to boost my weight during what I call The Troubles, cause I'd lost a loooooooot of poundage, and it was freaking me out due to bad associations with unexplained weight loss ....

Thanks for the input :):):) :thumbsup::thumbsup: :hug::hug::hug:!!!!

Is that Nicholson in 'Anger Management'? He's not all that cuddly ....

linusbert

That's interesting !!! And total news to me ..... the MCT didn't occur to me as a possibility for glutamate reactions, because I used small amounts of coconut oil, without any bad reactions, to try to boost my weight during what I call The Troubles, cause I'd lost a loooooooot of poundage, and it was freaking me out due to bad associations with unexplained weight loss ....

they pour this crap into everything nowadays. i would even say, if they do not explicitly state the source of MCT its probably with palmtree.
if your product was with MCT coconut before, they could switch it silently to palmtree and you wouldnt even notice on the ingredients list.

one "premium" company does this, Thorne , put palmtree in their k2mk4 supplement they sell for almost a hundred bucks and use the worst ingredients possible. maybe the mk4 itself is good, but everything else in it is bad.

one more thing, ingredients with VITAMIN E are probably from and with palmtreeoil as well. especially if its tocotrienols. but if they do not state source of vitamin E in ingredients it might be palmtreeoil.
this is so sad!

maybe we should make a separate forum area for this kind of bad practice. warning about bad products and bad habits from those vendors. it annoys me soo much when you do not know what is in your stuff.

Is that Nicholson in 'Anger Management'? He's not all that cuddly ....
yes he is. he isnt cuddly? hes a good singer thou

YippeeKi YOW !!

one "premium" company does this, Thorne , put palmtree in their k2mk4 supplement they sell for almost a hundred bucks and use the worst ingredients possible. maybe the mk4 itself is good, but everything else in it is bad.
YIKES !!!! The muc-lauded Thorne.

I stopped using most of their products when I started noticing littl things like that creeping in.

Most consumers tend to go on the reputation of a company when deciding which product to buy, and rarely review the contents more than once, at point of first purchase. Dealing with what we all deal with here, I'll review the contents of a supp from time to time to make sure it still is what I thought it was, or if I have an unusual, and untraceable, bad reaction to "something".

It's dispiriting that a company that's so highly thought of sinks to those kinds of subterfuges, particularly since they know that people's health, and belief in the value of alternative methods of dealing with illnesses or nutritional shortfalls, depeds on the quality of the products they chose to use.
maybe we should make a separate forum area for this kind of bad practice. warning about bad products and bad habits from those vendors. it annoys me soo much when you do not know what is in your stuff.
I think that's an EXCELLENT idea. Something like
"Nutritional Supps, Vitamins, & Herbs ... Good Guys, Bad Guys, And Good Guys Gone Bad .... Is what you're buying still a good product?"

dannybex

You'd have to take an awful high dose for a pretty long time. They're water soluble, and generally, unless you have a genetic glitch, your body can sweep 'em up and out pretty effecively.

Unfortunately, not true. Just like B12 builds up in the body, and folate, etc., B6 also accumulates. The half life of B6 is 33days. Many people have had severe reactions from B6, which can take months if not years to correct. The EU has lowered it's tolerable upper intake at 20mgs for this very reason. And that's still too much for many of us. :(

There are a half dozen websites devoted to patients stories of b6 toxicity, and also studies as to why it happens, but I have a feeling it's a result of depletion of other vitamins/substrates...and also perhaps a connection to elevated quinolinic acid.

Last edited:

dannybex

The amino acid L-Methionine rarely gets mention. The only supplement of any sort that a can say I truly "feel" when I take it. Usual suggestion for amino acid supplementation is to take on an empty stomach, to increase absorption. I feel the methionine in my head. My brain seems to like it.
Yes. People forget one needs methionine for the methylation cycle, among other things. I wonder if some of the 'paradoxical' reactions on Freddd's main page are a result of not enough methionine. A lack of it can cause neuropathy similar to folate or b12 deficiencies. It also helps with histamine issues (along w/b12/folate).