• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is sulfur an issue for me? DNA results?

tootsieroll

Hello I was wondering if someone can interpret these results for me. I'm not sure how complete this is as I inserted my 23andme raw data into Nutrahacker, a free raw data reader. I'm trying to find out if I'm sulfur sensitive. A naturopath gave me a sulfur substance called glutathione that wrecked havoc in my life for last 5 years and want to know whether this is the root cause. Thanks!

nutrahacker.jpg

Sorry thought I would piggyback this with another question. I seem to have issues with eating beef. I am also anemic and bought a bunch of Heme iron made from cow(bovine). Is this safe if I do in fact have sulfur issues? Which iron would be safest and easily absorbed? I use to take something called Floravit but I think even the vegetables in that give off sulfur. Also is Boron safe for sulfur sensitivity?

Last edited:

Shanti1

Administrator
Hi @tootsieroll,
Sulfur is an essential element to many of the body's functions, including detoxification and there is little in the scientific literature documenting sensitivity, however, this doctor has a nice write up on conditions that may cause people to be sensitive to too much sulfur: https://deannaminich.com/is-there-really-such-a-thing-as-sulfur-intolerance/. I don't see anything in your results that would make me think of a sulfur sensitivity.

If you read about glutathione on this forum, you will find that there are people who do really well with it an others who feel worse with it. I am one of the people who feel worse and although there are a lot of theories as to why this could be, I haven't found one that really fits for me. I am not sensitive to sulfur foods. You might find this thread on glutathione of interest: https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/glutathione-causing-anxiety-irritability.81246/

tootsieroll

@Shanti1 The strange thing is i even get symptoms from eating a steak. I think after going through benzo withdrawals for 8 years straight caused my gut/MMC to be stagnant and this, in turn caused an overgrowth of all types of SIBO bacteria. So maybe I'm not predisposed to some sulfur sensitivity but my H2S Sibo overgrowth may be causing inflammation? Could that be a scenario? I could go a week without any bowel movement. Probably some mitochondrial or vagus nerve damage it caused too. If I fix the migrating motor complex maybe this will resolve? My body is in a constant state of inflammation, including my uterus which explains my profuse bleeding after glutathione and after taking B1 or eating steak. The analysis is confusing. Says to avoid MethylB12 but then simultaneously encouraging MethylB12. I thought the fact that they encouraged molybdenum is a clue that I may not convert sulfur to sulfate easily.