• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Iron deficiency in women with thyroid-specific autoantibodies 2022

pattismith

Microsoft Word - 984116.docx (dergipark.org.tr)

Iron deficiency in women with thyroid-specific autoantibodies: A case control study

Şanver KOÇ1 , Kağan GÜNGÖR*,2 , Nur DOKUZEYLÜL GÜNGÖR3 , Mehmet UZUNLULU
The association between iron status and thyroid autoimmunity has not been well-evaluated. This retrospective study aimed to determine whether the frequency of iron deficiency was higher in patients with thyroid autoimmunity than in healthy individuals with negative thyroid autoantibodies.

One-hundred-and-eighty female patients with positive thyroid auto-antibodies and 81 healthy controls were involved in the study. Hemoglobin, hematocrit, mean corpuscular volume (MCV), iron, thyrotropin (TSH), TPOAb, TGAb, free-T4, vitamin B12, ferritin and transferrin saturation (TS) were recorded.

TSH, TPOAb and TGAb levels were significantly higher, while hemoglobin, hematocrit, MCV, ferritin, iron and TS were significantly lower in the patient group (all, p<0.05).

Patients with thyroid autoimmunity had significantly higher frequency of lower levels of hemoglobin, iron, ferritin, MCV and TS than healthy controls (all, p<0.005).

Correlations were found inversely between TPOAb and serum ferritin, iron, and TS levels, and also positively between TGAb and creatinine levels in the patient group.

In conclusion, we found increased prevalence of iron deficiency in female patients with thyroid autoimmunity

Gingergrrl

I had autoimmune thyroiditis and hyperthyroidism + iron deficiency. Both my antibodies against TPO, TG and TSHR where high.

I am the same as you (minus the hyperthyroid & Graves autoantibodies which I don't have). Do you take an iron supplement every day like I do? Do you have trouble maintaining normal blood levels of other things? I have to take daily iron, potassium, Vit D, and B-12 in order to maintain normal blood levels. I think it's some kind of absorption problem? I never connected it to a thyroid issue?

pattismith

I am the same as you (minus the hyperthyroid & Graves autoantibodies which I don't have). Do you take an iron supplement every day like I do? Do you have trouble maintaining normal blood levels of other things? I have to take daily iron, potassium, Vit D, and B-12 in order to maintain normal blood levels. I think it's some kind of absorption problem? I never connected it to a thyroid issue?
Yes Ginger,
I have difficulties to maintain levels of iron, vit D and vit B12;

and I have to take orally high amount of iron everydays.

pattismith

That is so interesting! Does your doctor have any idea why you cannot maintain normal blood levels without daily supplementing?

How much iron do you take per day?
I took up to 400 mg iron (bisglycinate form) in order to raise my ferritine from 18 to 100, and I take now 200 mg a day to keep this level.

Avena

I took up to 400 mg iron (bisglycinate form) in order to raise my ferritine from 18 to 100, and I take now 200 mg a day to keep this level.
May I ask what brand you are using? I have never found iron bisglysinate in 3-figures dosages per tablet.

Gingergrrl

I looked at my iron supplements and they are 25 mg (and I take one pill per day). Are you taking a really high dose? Unless I am taking a totally different kind of iron that doses differently? I'm doing blood work for my endocrinologist in Nov and will re-test iron & ferritin in addition to the thyroid panel, ACTH, Cortisol, inflammation markers, Vit D, B-12, etc.

Do either of you have Hashimoto's?

I do and was diagnosed with Hashi's in 2013 (but suspect that I've had it longer - maybe back to 2010)?

Violeta

I'm getting too tired to read more about this, but does anyone know anything about hepcidin?

" Hepcidin, the master regulator of systemic iron homeostasis..."

pattismith

I looked at my iron supplements and they are 25 mg (and I take one pill per day). Are you taking a really high dose? Unless I am taking a totally different kind of iron that doses differently? I'm doing blood work for my endocrinologist in Nov and will re-test iron & ferritin in addition to the thyroid panel, ACTH, Cortisol, inflammation markers, Vit D, B-12, etc.

Yes my iron tablets are 25 mg and I do take a massive dose of iron to keep my ferritine up.

I'm getting too tired to read more about this, but does anyone know anything about hepcidin?

" Hepcidin, the master regulator of systemic iron homeostasis..."

Yes you are right: upregulated Hepcidin is often the root for low blood iron.

pattismith

Just read this article that says low Vitamine D correlates with insulin resistance:

CONCLUSIONS
Among U.S. adults without physician-diagnosed diabetes, low concentrations of serum 25(OH)D were associated with markers of IR

Associations of Serum Concentrations of 25-Hydroxyvitamin D and Parathyroid Hormone With Surrogate Markers of Insulin Resistance Among U.S. Adults Without Physician-Diagnosed Diabetes: NHANES, 2003–2006 | Diabetes Care | American Diabetes Association (diabetesjournals.org)

Gingergrrl

Yes my iron tablets are 25 mg and I do take a massive dose of iron to keep my ferritine up.

Thanks for explaining :thumbsup:

Just read this article that says low Vitamine D correlates with insulin resistance:

I don't have insulin resistance (as far as I know). My endocrinologist ran every known diabetes marker test including some obscure ones (b/c I have anti GAD65 autoantibodies which is a diabetes risk for the future) and they are all negative. My blood glucose and a1c are always very low.

My doctors think I have some kind of absorption issue re: why I don't maintain normal blood levels of things without taking supplements (Vit D, B-12, Iron, Potassium, etc).

pattismith

Polyphenol-Rich Ginger (Zingiber officinale) for Iron Deficiency Anaemia and Other Clinical Entities Associated with Altered Iron Metabolism

https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules27196417
15 September 2022
Through in vivo, in vitro, and limited human studies, ginger supplementation was shown to enhance iron absorption and thus increase oral iron therapy’s efficacy.

It also reduces oxidative stress and inflammation and thus protects against excess free iron. Ginger’s bioactive polyphenols are prebiotics to the gut microbiota, promoting gut health and reducing the unwanted side effects of iron tablets.

Jadzhia

I have Hashi's with raised TPO and TG antibodies and also low blood ferritin, and have met many others with thyroid autoimmunity who are similar. We also almost always have low folate, B12 and Vit D as well. Poor digestion is a thing with hypothyroidism, so I imagine that would not help with getting those nutrients on board.

I am trying to supplement with iron (using Iron Repair) but finding enough hours in the day to take all my supplements and keeping those apart that need to be (because I also take T3) is difficult, so it's very hit and miss whether I actually take any iron on a given day.

Very interesting about the ginger, I did not know of its effect, thanks @pattismith.

Yes Ginger,
I have difficulties to maintain levels of iron, vit D and vit B12;

and I have to take orally high amount of iron everydays.

I'm the same re not being able to maintain decent levels of... well, anything! Unsurprising really as I have had digestive issues, I have ongoing histamine intolerance and oxalate problems. Therefore my diet isn't optimal, far from it. Plus I never go out so getting sunshine (and being in the UK!) isn't conducive to getting D3 levels up that way.

At the moment I am supplementing Vit B2, B12, Iodine, Selenium, Molybdenum (as per Dr Greg Russell-Jones' protocol) and Vit E, Boron and Magnesium which are 'off protocol' but I know I need them. Also iron when I can fit it in, but not regularly.

Gingergrrl

I have Hashi's with raised TPO and TG antibodies and also low blood ferritin, and have met many others with thyroid autoimmunity who are similar. We also almost always have low folate, B12 and Vit D as well. Poor digestion is a thing with hypothyroidism, so I imagine that would not help with getting those nutrients on board.

When you said that poor digestion is a thing w/hypothyroidism & Hashi's, do you mean poor absorption or something else?