• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Iron deficiency in women with thyroid-specific autoantibodies 2022

Gingergrrl

@pattismith On my most recent blood-work my ferritin was flagged as too high (which has NEVER happened to me before)! For many years my iron & ferritin were too low and my Endo had me supplement w/daily iron.

But now the ferritin is too high at 189 and got flagged (and normal range goes up to 150). He asked me if I'd had recent infection or inflammation? I have not had any infection but it's so hard to know re: inflammation b/c I am currently have edema & joint pain in one of my fingers where it is hard to bend that finger.

He told me to STOP taking the iron and we'll see where it is with my next blood tests in 3-4 months. He was not too worried and thought I might've just reached the point of saturation w/the daily iron supplement and I don't need it any more.

I used to have severe problems with absorption (from MCAS) but this has significantly improved. Also, for the first time ever, my TPO autoantibody was in the normal range and my TgAb was just slightly elevated so it looks like my Hashimoto's is also improving (or maybe I am finally absorbing the thyroid med better, too)?

What are your thoughts re: elevated ferritin?

pattismith

[
What are your thoughts re: elevated ferritin?
Hello Ginger,

well ferritin is known to be an unreliable marker of iron deficiency...

I mean it is a reliable marker when it's low, but not when it's high.

You can be still iron deficient with high ferritin.
This is where other iron biomarkers are usefull when ferritin is high.

Transferrin saturation especially can be helpful in this situation, as I have already pointed:

It's interesting that in this heart study, they consider
absolute iron deficiency when ferritine is below 100 ng/ml
(= 100 µg/l ) and
relative iron deficiency when ferritine is between 100 and 300 if Transferrine Saturation is below 20%

38% of Australian with Heart Failure have Iron Deficiency | Phoenix Rising ME/CFS Forums

Last edited:

Gingergrrl

This is where other iron biomarkers are usefull when ferritin is high. Transferrin saturation especially can be helpful in this situation, as I have already pointed:

Is "Transferrin Saturation" measured on a blood test? I looked at my recent labs and my doctor did an Iron Panel that included: Iron Binding Cap (TBIC), UIBC, Iron & Iron Saturation (and I was in the normal range for all of those). Is "Iron Saturation" the same thing as "Transferrin Saturation"?

pattismith

Is "Transferrin Saturation" measured on a blood test? I looked at my recent labs and my doctor did an Iron Panel that included: Iron Binding Cap (TBIC), UIBC, Iron & Iron Saturation (and I was in the normal range for all of those).
Is "Iron Saturation" the same thing as "Transferrin Saturation"?
Yes I think it is. How much was your Iron saturation?