• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Investigators Discover Key Parkinson’s Disease Protein “Toggle Switch”

Wishful

https://scitechdaily.com/investigators-discover-key-parkinsons-disease-protein-toggle-switch/

"The authors describe alpha-synuclein as a “toggle switch” that regulates two very distinct functions: transport of vesicles and gene expression. In disease states, the balance is broken."

News about alpha-synuclein catches my attention because cumin (so effective for me as a PEM-blocker) inhibits the agglomeration of this protein, and is thus a possible explanation for why it worked for me. I also consider ME to be a 'toggled state' that we can switch into and out of, so any sort of neuro-molecular toggle switch catches my attention.

Hardly a breakthrough for ME, but I thought the potential connection was interesting. BTW, baicalin, which some members here find beneficial for their ME, also inhibits A-syn agglomeration.

hapl808

Interesting. I've restarted a version of Buhner (skullcap, knotweed, cat's claw, andrographis) that has helped me in the past. I always hit a plateau, but it seems to help with some of the physical and mental PEM crashes. Or at least raises my threshold a bit.

GreenEdge

From a another study:
Cross-Reactivity and Sequence Homology Between Alpha-Synuclein and Food Products: A Step Further for Parkinson's Disease Synucleinopathy
Results: While the antibody made against recombinant α-synuclein reacted significantly with 86/180 specific food antigens, the antibody made against α-synuclein epitope 118-123 reacted with only 32/180 tested food antigens. The food proteins with the greatest number of peptides that matched with α-synuclein were yeast, soybean, latex hevein, wheat germ agglutinin, potato, peanut, bean agglutinin, pea lectin, shrimp, bromelain, and lentil lectin.

Conclusions: The cross-reactivity and sequence homology between α-synuclein and frequently consumed foods, reinforces the autoimmune aspect of Parkinson's disease.

Above, I underlined the foods to avoid.