• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Intracellular Immune Dysfunction In ME/CFS

Wishful

http://iv.iiarjournals.org/content/22/1/115.long

It's not a new paper (2008), but it may be of interest to those who feel that immune system dysfunction is a core part of ME, and who like reading technical papers about protein kinase R and elastase, and other things that are way above my level of comprehension. Those who feel that mitochondrial fragmentation is involved might be interested too:

"Consequently, the LMW RNase L fragments are responsible for the uncontrolled degradation of ribosomal and mitochondrial RNA, leading to apoptosis. Apoptosis, in turn, triggers the production of elastase and calpain (14), leading to a vicious circle."

It was a small study (16 patients), but did seem to find some interesting results. Might this be another of those studies where something was found, but never followed up on? :(