• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Interviewing Dr. Coffin

lululowry

I think Sarahg has the best suggestion of all to begin!:tear:
I have a great little microrecorder that I used to know how to work...and now I cannot figure it out....:rolleyes:
The fog...the fog...I just have to laugh sometimes:tear:

Rrrr

hi all,

okay! all of these are GREAT questions, as is the suggestion that i educate him some on ME/CFS. but let's stop suggesting questions. there is no way i can ask more than a few. and now i feel sooooo much pressure to get there. what if i'm bedridden that day, like every other day this past 5 wks?

again, if i can't get there or i can get there but can't ask more than a few questions, i'll see if he is up for being emailed the questions.

one thing i worry about is that my brain fog is horrible, and i'm not a science person. so i fear he'll tell me some answers and i won't be able to relay them to you all.

a recorder is a good idea, but i'd asked for an informal chat, not for an on the record interview. i'll see if he is up for doing it on the record, but i think the reason he said yes was because i had asked for something casual.

xxoo
rrrr

Rrrr

i know! i'll go, meet him, chat informally and THEN ask if we can do a follow up on the record interview. and that either i would conduct it or someone else in our cfs community.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Brilliant idea, that takes the pressure off (whew!) and you can just enjoy your chat now.

Navid

take the pressure off....stress just makes us feel worse.

just go and chat and let him know that there are many of us out here starving for more info, so that we can somehow get our lives back...in fact so much that we inundated you, Rrrrr, with too many questions : )

show him the human face of cfid's...and what xmrv might mean to people like you, me and everyone else here.

hope u feel better soon.

take the pressure off yourself!!!! if u come back here and say he was nice and believes there needs to be more research into xmrv...we'll all be happy.

starryeyes

Rrrr, this is an exciting opportunity and I hope you can make it that day. Definitely take the pressure off yourself.

One thing you might want to do, but only if you want to, is hand him a hard copy of this thread. lol This is a real suggestion but it's also making me laugh. He has no idea what he may have gotten himself into has he?

Ask him to write a website for us and/or come here and do a Chat session. ;)

Anyway, follow your intuition, we certainly don't want to put him off. And thanks so much for sharing this with us.

:hug:

starry

Rrrr

i think i'll also literally cut and paste most of these questions from you all, and if it feels appropriate i'll show them to him (give them to him?). that will show him how eager we all are for his thinking, and how engaged we are in what is happening with xmrv, and how intelligent we all are. i think he'll be impressed. i know *i* am, every day that i'm on this forum!

i also suggested to the virologist blogger Vincent Racaniello than HE interview coffin. (has he done that already?)

i suggested this to Racaniello when i emailed him the latest "letter to the editor" from judy mikovits, the one that details the procedure for finding xmrv in testing and why european tests were not finding it. Racaniello seemed very appreciative to get judy's letter to the editor, and said he'd post it on his virology blog.

rrrr

Rrrr

Rrrr, this is an exciting opportunity and I hope you can make it that day. Definitely take the pressure off yourself.

One thing you might want to do, but only if you want to, is hand him a hard copy of this thread. lol This is a real suggestion but it's also making me laugh. He has no idea what he may have gotten himself into has he?

Ask him to write a website for us. ;)

Anyway, follow your intuition, we certainly don't want to put him off. And thanks so much for sharing this with us.

:hug:

starry

WOW, we just both came up with that same idea and posted it at the same time! (to print out and give him this thread)

JillBohr

Question: Do you think that it is possible to pass on XMRV with the following types of contact:

1. Someone being in the same room with an XMRV patient when the patient coughs or sneezes in a way that sprays droplets into the air.

2. Transfer of sweat from the infected person to the lips of another person. For example, someone kissing the forehead of an infected person.

3. Transfer from touching objects that an infected person hands to you, assuming the possibility that the infected person might have touched his saliva or mucus at some time before handing them to you.

4. Delayed transfer via objects mailed as correspondence or gifts to others that the infected person handled.

Don't forget drinking someone else's beer by accident. My ME/CFS sister-in-law and I enjoy drinking beer when we get together and sometimes we get so drunk we accidently drink each other's beer. We still laugh about who got XMRV first and gave it to the other. O.K. maybe not so funny but she is sick and my kids have autism so we have to laugh at anything we can.

starryeyes

GREAT idea. I'll certainly ask just that!

(how do we do that? do we have live chats here on this forum?)

Oh yes Rrrr.. Please come into Chat yourself anytime. It can be hard to get used to. I went in for short increments for a few months and now can handle it all the time. This is my brand of Cognitive Chat Therapy. ;)

Up at the top of the pages of this Forum it says "Chat Room" and tells you the number of people in there. Just click on it and then people will help you use it once you're there.

Cort said we could set up Chat times for doctors and scientists etc.. It would be official and moderated like the ones at ProHealth I imagine with announcements going out a couple weeks before like the Webinars.

ixchelkali

Rrrr, no pressure. If you're up to it that day, great; if you're not, this is one group of people who will understand completely. And as for all the suggestions for questions, that's all they are, suggestions. Look them over and pick the ones you'd most like answered. It's your interview, you get to ask what you like. I do like your idea of showing him the list of questions. He might find it interesting to know what the patients are wondering. It might even help him prepare for the conference this autumn.

Please don't stress yourself about this.

Rrrr

just got a fast reply from the blogging virologist Vincent Racaniello. he said he has not yet interviewed coffin (tho he has known him a long time) and it is a good idea to do so!

then he said he is also talking with Ila Singh soon.

more to look forward to!

Rrrr

great to know about the live chat option! and good point that our questions may help him focus on the upcoming conference!

Dr. Yes

Shame on You
Too fried to come up with a good question right now.

Just ask him if anyone else uses the term "grind the sausage" or if he made it up.

And if he went into research because "Dr. Coffin" was too scary for use in clinical practice.

leaves

Too fried to come up with a good question right now.

Just ask him if anyone else uses the term "grind the sausage" or if he made it up.

And if he went into research because "Dr. Coffin" was too scary for use in clinical practice.

You crack me up :)

Kati

Patient in training
Lol Dr Yes, how do you come up with all these things in your head? :rolleyes:;):tear: