• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Interferon Gamma, Mitochondria, and T2 Diabetes.

Ema

So, interferon gamma is bad for the mitochondria but it is intricately involved with the immune system response.

And may play a role in the development of Type 2 diabetes...

Mounting evidence connects chronic inflammation to the disruption of cellular metabolism (17). Liu et al. have recently reported that mast cells contribute to the pathogenesis of type 2 diabetes by producing the pro-inflammatory cytokine interferon gamma (IFN-g) (18).

Several independent investigations have implicated IFN-g in a host of disorders associated with mitochondrial defect. IFN-g, through its downstream mediator JAK/ IRF-1, disturbs the mitochondrial membrane potential and exacerbates liver injury induced by LPS (19). I

FN-g also desensitizes adipocyte to insulin and blocks the mat- uration of pre-adipocyte in a JAK1/STAT1 dependent manner (20).

Here we report that IFN-g down-regulates SIRT1 transcription and impairs energy expenditure in skeletal muscle cells by inducing the transcriptional modulators class II transactivator (CIITA) and hypermethylated in cancer 1 (HIC1).

Our data highlight a previously unknown function for CIITA/HIC1 complex and provide novel insight into the pathogenesis of type 2 diabetes.

http://nar.oxfordjournals.org/content/40/4/1609.full-text-lowres.pdf

Bob

There's an interesting slide about Interferon Gamma in the video of Komaroff's summary of IACFS/ME:
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/komaroffs-summary-of-iacfs-me-now-on-youtube.29341/

Interferon-Gamma and CFS.PNG

Ema

I'll have to go back and find the exact reference but there is also something to high levels of interferon gamma in patients who go on to develop chronic Lyme disease versus those who are able to rid themselves of the infection after a more typical course of antibiotics.

There seems to be something in the way the innate immune system reaction transfers (or doesn't transfer) to the adaptive immune system reaction that predisposes to chronic illness and it seems that interferon gamma may be a big player.

Dan_USAAZ

I believe high levels of IFN-g are also implicated in MS as causing demyelination of the myelin sheath around nerves.

Last edited: