• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Inspiration for campaigners and advocates: Protest Works. Just look at the proof.

Bob

I found this article very inspiring... it's about the effectiveness of protesting and campaigning...

Protest Works. Just Look at the proof.

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinio...est-works-just-look-at-the-proof-2119310.html

I found this bit especially interesting:

And protest can have an invisible ripple-effect that lasts for generations. A small group of women from Iowa lost their sons early in the Vietnam war, and they decided to set up an organization of mothers opposing the assault on the country. They called a protest of all mothers of serving soldiers outside the White House – and six turned up in the snow. Even though later in the war they became nationally important voices, they always remembered that protest as an embarrassment and a humiliation.

Until, that is, one day in the 1990s, one of them read the autobiography of Benjamin Spock, the much-loved and trusted celebrity doctor, who was the Oprah of his day. When he came out against the war in 1968, it was a major turning point in American public opinion. And he explained why he did it. One day, he had been called to a meeting at the White House to be told how well the war in Vietnam was going, and he saw six women standing in the snow with placards, alone, chanting. It troubled his conscience and his dreams for years. If these women were brave enough to protest, he asked himself, why aren’t I? It was because of them that he could eventually find the courage to take his stand – and that in turn changed the minds of millions, and ended the war sooner. An event that they thought was a humiliation actually turned the course of history.

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinio...est-works-just-look-at-the-proof-2119310.html

camas

Interesting that he's drawing on the U.S. for inspiration since we're long overdue for some protesting in this country. I wish he'd also mentioned the Civil Rights movement that led to the Great Society social reforms. Johnson screwed up where Vietnam was concerned, but he wasn't all bad.

Dolphin

I'm no good for remembering exact quotes but that reminded me of a quote that says something like "Never doubt that a small group of people can't change the world* - indeed it's the only thing that ever has".
* or "bring about change" or something

BTW, I'm a Dr. Spock child - my mum was big into him and referred to his book a lot when rearing me, or so she has said.

Bob

I'm no good for remembering exact quotes but that reminded me of a quote that says something like "Never doubt that a small group of people can't change the world* - indeed it's the only thing that ever has".
* or "bring about change" or something

Yes, that's a good quote isn't it Dolphin... It's actually quoted at the end of the article...

As Margaret Mead, the great democratic campaigner, said: “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful people could change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.”

BTW, I'm a Dr. Spock child - my mum was big into him and referred to his book a lot when rearing me, or so she has said.

And did his rearing advice work out OK in the long term Dolphin? ;)

Merry

And did his rearing advice work out OK in the long term Dolphin? ;)

Dolphin turned out great!

When my son was small, I depended on the advice of British parenting expert Penelope Leach. With good results, I must say. My son, now almost 28, is a very caring person.

Dolphin

Dolphin turned out great!
Thanks Merry. :Retro smile:

However, best that nobody else continues this. I'm sure some people think I didn't turn out great. But then I might think not everyone else turned out great either... So let's skip that one.