• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Insomnia

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I wonder if some of us with cfs and insomnia, that something is broken or damaged by infection. I wouldnt even call myself anxious person and people that know me say im layed back kind of guy. Anxiety seems to always be thrown at insomnia when sleep apnea and movement disorders are ruled out, i think its crap. I also have a 20 year history of shift work. Many times i have thought that i just dont care if i sleep or not but when your brain starts to sizzle from lack of sleep, its like it has your family jewels in a vice.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Hi heaps - I'm the same with the sleep thing, zopiclone the only sleeping pill I use really is a blinking struggle to get off, it has a major major impact any time I've tried to come off it, fried and wired (have read its harder than benzos) could some of your problem be the same ie withdrawal from zopiclone?

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Im not sure, i didnt use zopi every night, probably every second night at most. Im starting to wonder if its the pregnenolone im on, it has helped me energy wise but it doesnt appear to be stimulating though but maybe it has snuk up on me, im going to stop it for a couple of nights and see how i go. I dont doubt if i stop sleep meds i will have withdrawal type sleep problems, but getting a tolerance to sleep meds after 1 or 2 nights is strange and the aches and pains i get from sedating antidepressants like doxepin and avanza as well as seroquel is strange as it has only started in the last few months, before that i had no problems. I use to use these meds 2-3 nights a week so that i didnt have to use benzos all the time and possibly help any benzo withdrawal when the time comes to get off sleep meds.

Thanks for the advice maryb , i am considering your opinion. One thing insomnia does is give u alot of time to think about things, although the thinking is fuzzy.

cheers!!!

Crappy

I have been experimenting with P-5-P, Glycine with an improvement of symptoms, and considering GABA.

I am curious what others have experienced with any of them?

Crappy

hi heaps,

I have seen a couple places Dr Cheney recommending using pyridoxal-5-phosphate instead of B6. I also saw it here, http://drstockmann.com/wp/wp-conten...-2010-hos-Riksföreningen-för-ME-patienter.pdf (I haven't seen this presentation anywhere else; it's in Norwegian.) I have to take a little through the day because it can make me jittery. Glycine powder I just happened to be trying and noticed it seemed to help me sleep too. I noticed comments about it from sports people using it for sleep. GABA seems to be common for sleep but I haven't tried it, have you? I use to use L-Threonine for sleep but noticed it was making me ache. If I remember right you have experienced an ache with things too.

It is amazing how much self treating a body can take, especially sick like we are.

glenp

"and this too shall pass"
zopiclone

I am still taking the zopiclone - trying not to worry about coming off them as I don't think i will ever be able to. As my doctor says "what is the alternative? I take one and if everything goes well i can fall asleep in 1 1/2 hours and sleep 2 1/2 hours then I take another one to get a few more hours sleep. If it doesnt kick in after a few hours I take something else too.

glen