• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Input: my Immune profile from IMD Berlin

mitoMAN

Received my Immune labwork from IMD Berlin today with some interesting abnormalities and would like to get some of your input. Already talked with my immunolgist and will go into detail below.
Quoted the findings that the lab added to each results

HAPPY ABOUT ANY INPUT

Lactat i. NaF-blood 9.1 mg/dl Referenz: 4.5 – 19.8
Pyruvat i. NaF-blood ++1.16 mg/dl Referenz: 0.73 – 0.95
Laktat-Pyruvat-Quotient -7.84 mg/dl Referenz: 10 – 20

IFN-gamma (TH1) ++1938 pg/ml Referenz: 374 – 1660
IL-4 (TH2) 67.6 pg/ml Referenz: 28 – 141
TH1/TH2 Ratio ++28.7 Referenz: 6.1 -21

„Increased TH1-cells (IFN-gamma). TH2 response is normal.
This TH1/TH2-Ratio is speaking for a TH-1 shift which is typical for a TH1-dominant T-cellular Immunoactivation (possible: Viral Infection, intrecellular infection, other immunoactivations)“

Interleukin 1-ß i.S ++18.5 pg/ml Referenz: <5.0
Interleukin 8 i.S ++95.9 pg/ml Referenz: <15
TGF-Beta i.S ++64.9 ng/ml Referenz: 18.3 – 41.6

„systemic inflammation according to TGF-B“

Diaminoxidase-Activity Enzym ++34.3 IU/ml Referenz: 14 – 33
Histamine in Hep. Blood ++93.4 ng/ml Referenz: <65.5

Leukotrine i.U ++589 pg/mg Kre Referenz: <385

Tested Leukotrienes C4, D4 und E4. Possibly MCAS and allergic reactions. No histamine intolerance due to induceable DAO activity.“

Homocysteine i.S. +12.8 umol/l Referenz: <10

TNF-alpha I.S +8.5 pg/ml Referenz: <8.1
IP-10 132 pg/ml Referenz: < 900

mild inflammation (TNF-a!) without influence of TH1-Effectorcells (normal IP-10)

Intracellular ATP 2.65 Referenz: above 2.5
Borderline Minimum ATP

MDA-LDL i.S. ++65.2 U/l Referenz: <40

MDA-modified LDL as marker for Lipidperoxidation due to significant oxidative stress

Nitrotyrosin +626 nmol/l Referenz: <630

Nitrotyrosin within top range.
Sign for a latent increased formation of Stickstoffmonoxid (NO)and Peroxynitrit.

I-FABP 1361 pg/ml Referenz: 389 - 2129
Zonulin i.S +40.4 ng/ml Referenz: <38

Possible leaky gut due to inflammation
I-FABP in range and no significant damage on intestinal epithelium

Other results:

VIRALS

qPCR for EBV and HHV6 negative
EBV and HHV6 was tested with Elisa only (no high IgG) Will retest with IFT

Had active EBV in 2016-2017

Parvo, Echo, Coxsackie Elisa negative. Will retest with NIT

Borellia Blot negative

CMV negative

Immune function:

All NK-Cells below minimum reference in quantity %

Current Treatment Plan:

Leaky Gut:
10 days of Rifamycin Gut Antibiotics with strict low FODMAP diet and Pre/Probiotics and Glutamine etc for rebuilding microbiome (tested pretty badly before at the lab)

MCAS
H₁ antagonist -> Desloratadine
H2 Receptorblocker -> Famotidin
Zonulin reduction and histamine binding -> Toxaprevent (Leaky Gut)
https://www.toxaprevent.co.uk/blog/a-new-solution-to-leaky-gut-syndrome/

In two weeks we will start a MastCell-Stabilizor

NK-Cells:
In four weeks, we will start OM-85 (Broncho-Vaxom)
https://bronchiectasisnewstoday.com/bronchiectasis-experimental-treatments/om-85-broncho-vaxom/
This should raise my NK-Cell numbers
(currently below reference)

TH1 Dominance:
Afterwards we are looking for an Immune Modulator and possibly doing in-vitro lab testing at IMD Berlin to find the right substance to properly modulate my TH1 response.

I am personally thinking of giving LDN a try until we found an in-vitro successfull TH1 immunemodulator for my T cells.

mitoMAN

VIP - Vasoactive intestinal Peptide

It seems like this promising Peptide could traget almost all of my elevated immune markers.
I am mostly interested in it as my IL-1b, TNF-A and NO are very elevated. As well as my Leaky Gut and gastrointestinal problems.
And strong TH1 dominance.

_VIP has neuroprotective effect on inflammatory conditions by inhibiting the production of microglia-derived proinflammatory factors (TNF-alpha, IL-1b, nitric oxide). VIP promotes a secondary repair with axonal regrowth through the VPAC2 receptor and BDNF production.

_VIP can help support healthy hormone levels, works to limit inflammation, and regulates the immune system. Also it is often dosed nasally in patients with mold toxicity and other biotoxin illnesses.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6743256/
VIP, which is also produced by type 2 lymphocytes (Th2), could also be classified as a Th2 cytokine 31, 92. The potent anti-inflammatory effects of VIP may result from its promotion of Th cell differentiation toward a “Th2” phenotype 11. Moreover, VIP also increases regulatory T cell production while inhibiting macrophage pro-inflammatory actions, all contributing to its anti-inflammatory effects.

Learner1

Sorry, I've been busy. This is all very complicated. I need to get done things done this weekend, and hopefully will have a little more time early in the week. Can you send me a message Monday and remind me again?

Just a few thoughts off the cuff...

Have you looked into thymosin alpha Zadaxin)?

Upping either 5-MTHF, MB12, or P5P (or all three) would likely help your homocysteine and peroxynitrites (nitrotyrosine). And you might consider more vitamin C, NAC, and/or Setria glutathione.

These won't fix you, but will help give you better support. High peroxynitrites damage Mitochondrial membraness and impair mito complex I, leading to poor ATP production.

I've heard good things about VIP, though it's now illegal in the US, nit because it's bad, but due to pharma owning the FDA...

Have you looked into celiac or other food allergies? Might be making things worse. Perhaps the FODMAP diet will help. Have you looked into oxalates?

I know this doesn't help with the immune stuff, but I need to think hard about that and reference some information to be able to give you better answers there.

Will talk soon....

mitoMAN

Have you looked into thymosin alpha Zadaxin)?
Indeed I tried TA-1 for 6 Weeks straight after having my blood samples taken.
Curiously it worked extremly well for a couple of days up to a week and then lost all positive effect.
Even when dosing very highly up to 5mg per day.
(The Chinese did studies on up to 10mg per day for moderate-severe Covid Cases and usually give 10mg TA-1 injections to all hospital staff)

I found two other members on this forum that had similiar experience with the official ZADAXIN (25hrs half life vs 2hrs regular TA-1).
One told me she had two AMAZING weeks, and contrary to me, even an acute worsening after that time!

Have you looked into celiac or other food allergies? Might be making things worse. Perhaps the FODMAP diet will help. Have you looked into oxalates?
Indeed I am doing a strict FODMAP diet with pre/probiotics to rebuild my microbiome with my gastroenterologist (10 days gut antibiotics before to wipe out bad bacteria)

Upping either 5-MTHF, MB12, or P5P (or all three) would likely help your homocysteine and peroxynitrites (nitrotyrosine). And you might consider more vitamin C, NAC, and/or Setria glutathione.
I tried everything in terms of oral supplements and even high dosage Adenosylcobalamin and Methylcobalamin Injections.
My intracellular Glutathion turned out fine.
Here is my extended oral supplement list with. (Tried upping some stuff like ALA etc to high dosages a few weeks/months)

Supplements:

18.02.2020 1g NMN + 1g T-RESVERATROL +1g BERBERINE(22.4 Stop)
500mg NMN + 2g RESVERATROL (1g Trans-Resv)

500mg NMN (β-Nicotinamide Mononucleotide)
1000mg Trans-Resverastrol (2000mg total regular Resverastrol)
400mg CoQ10
5000mg Creatine
300mg Alpha‐lipoic acid (ALA)*
30mg Zinc
600mg NAC
400ug Selenium
500mg Magnesium (elemental)
4mg Mangan
2g Omega 3 Fish Oil
2500iu Vitamin D & K2 every 2nd day
1x Vitamin B Complex
1x Multi Vitamin Complex

Vitamin Bs and Anti-Oxidants

17.06.2020 5mg B9 5-MFTH, 300mg B1 Benfotiamin, 150mg B2 Riboflavin
200mg B6 Pyridoxal, 750mg L-Gluthione reduced, 3mg Vitamin C

10.07.2020 2400mg Alpha‐lipoic acid (ALA)* increase

11.07.2020 450mg Curcumin e2d, 1000mg Quercetin, 24mg Astaxanthin
120mg Vitamin-E Tocopherol 40mg Tocotrienol, 1000mg OPC,
8g Vitamin C, 1200mg NAC

Learner1

Lactat i. NaF-blood 9.1 mg/dl Referenz: 4.5 – 19.8
Pyruvat i. NaF-blood ++1.16 mg/dl Referenz: 0.73 – 0.95
Laktat-Pyruvat-Quotient -7.84 mg/dl Referenz: 10 – 20
This is very odd. Many people have low pyruvate, low lactate. Some of us are low in both. But I haven't seen anyone with high pyruvate and low lactate. Did you get an interpretation of this?
IFN-gamma (TH1) ++1938 pg/ml Referenz: 374 – 1660
IL-4 (TH2) 67.6 pg/ml Referenz: 28 – 141
TH1/TH2 Ratio ++28.7 Referenz: 6.1 -21
So, this seems autoimmune.
Interleukin 1-ß i.S ++18.5 pg/ml Referenz: <5.0
Interleukin 8 i.S ++95.9 pg/ml Referenz: <15
TGF-Beta i.S ++64.9 ng/ml Referenz: 18.3 – 41.6
Inflammation which your body is trying to fight?
Diaminoxidase-Activity Enzym ++34.3 IU/ml Referenz: 14 – 33
Histamine in Hep. Blood ++93.4 ng/ml Referenz: <65.5

Leukotrine i.U ++589 pg/mg Kre Referenz: <385
Mast cells
Homocysteine i.S. +12.8 umol/l Referenz: <10
MDA-LDL i.S. ++65.2 U/l Referenz: <40
Oxidative stress
Nitrotyrosin +626 nmol/l Referenz: <630
Nitrosative stress - peroxynitrites which can damage mito membranes and impair mito complex 1.
Zonulin i.S +40.4 ng/ml Referenz: <38
Leaky gut. Have you tried an elimination diet, not just FODMAPS, to see what might be making things worse?

VIRALS

qPCR for EBV and HHV6 negative
EBV and HHV6 was tested with Elisa only (no high IgG) Will retest with IFT

Had active EBV in 2016-2017

Parvo, Echo, Coxsackie Elisa negative. Will retest with NIT

Borellia Blot negative

CMV negative

Immune function:

All NK-Cells below minimum reference in quantity %
Keep looking for a sneaky infection. Your NJ cells being low sounds like maybe they've been called upon too much. What is draining your immune system? Did you have immunnoglobulins plus subclasses checked? Or even just albumin, globulin, and total protein?

Current Treatment Plan:

Leaky Gut:
10 days of Rifamycin Gut Antibiotics with strict low FODMAP diet and Pre/Probiotics and Glutamine etc for rebuilding microbiome (tested pretty badly before at the lab)
If this isn't successful, you might look into a VIOME test.

Have you looked into oxalates?

MCAS
H₁ antagonist -> Desloratadine
H2 Receptorblocker -> Famotidin
Zonulin reduction and histamine binding -> Toxaprevent (Leaky Gut)
https://www.toxaprevent.co.uk/blog/a-new-solution-to-leaky-gut-syndrome/

In two weeks we will start a MastCell-Stabilizor
You might look into cromolyn sodium (liquid) and Singulair (monoleukast). And ketotifen.
NK-Cells:
In four weeks, we will start OM-85 (Broncho-Vaxom)
https://bronchiectasisnewstoday.com/bronchiectasis-experimental-treatments/om-85-broncho-vaxom/
This should raise my NK-Cell numbers
(currently below reference)
I'm not familiar with it. Are there any risks? Like increasing autoimmunity?
TH1 Dominance:
Afterwards we are looking for an Immune Modulator and possibly doing in-vitro lab testing at IMD Berlin to find the right substance to properly modulate my TH1 response.

I am personally thinking of giving LDN a try until we found an in-vitro successfull TH1 immunemodulator for my T cells.
A lot of us are on it. Generally one starts at low dose, then 4.5mg us a standard dose.
Supplements:

400mg CoQ10
5000mg Creatine
30mg Zinc
600mg NAC
400ug Selenium
4mg Mangan
2g Omega 3 Fish Oil
1x Vitamin B Complex
1x Multi Vitamin Complex

8g Vitamin C, 1200mg NAC
Decent program. I have some similar issues. You might try adding/ increasing:

B5 - maybe 1-1.5g?
Vitamin A - 15,000-22,500 IU?
Vitamin C - 3g?
Vitamin E tocopherols - 1g
Setria glutathione - .5-1.5g
MB12 - 5-10mg?
BH4 (Kuvan) - 10-20mg
Designs for Health CurcumEvail - 2g
Quercetin - 2g
Zinc - 60mg
Molybdenum - 1-2mg
Vitamin D - enough so you are top of range, depends on genetics, but 1250 IU daily is likely too low. 4,000-10,000 daily may be better.

These suggestions are to balance your antioxidants, recycle glutathione, reduce peroxynitrites, improve methylation and calm mast cells. Kuvan is a prescription only in the US.

Check methylmalonic acid for B12, not serum B12. If high, you're deficient. Your homocysteine and nitrotyrosine suggest you may need some.

msf

Indeed I tried TA-1 for 6 Weeks straight after having my blood samples taken.
Curiously it worked extremly well for a couple of days up to a week and then lost all positive effect.
Even when dosing very highly up to 5mg per day.
(The Chinese did studies on up to 10mg per day for moderate-severe Covid Cases and usually give 10mg TA-1 injections to all hospital staff)

I found two other members on this forum that had similiar experience with the official ZADAXIN (25hrs half life vs 2hrs regular TA-1).
One told me she had two AMAZING weeks, and contrary to me, even an acute worsening after that time!

Indeed I am doing a strict FODMAP diet with pre/probiotics to rebuild my microbiome with my gastroenterologist (10 days gut antibiotics before to wipe out bad bacteria)

I tried everything in terms of oral supplements and even high dosage Adenosylcobalamin and Methylcobalamin Injections.
My intracellular Glutathion turned out fine.
Here is my extended oral supplement list with. (Tried upping some stuff like ALA etc to high dosages a few weeks/months)

Supplements:

400mg CoQ10
5000mg Creatine
30mg Zinc
600mg NAC
400ug Selenium
4mg Mangan
2g Omega 3 Fish Oil
1x Vitamin B Complex
1x Multi Vitamin Complex

8g Vitamin C, 1200mg NAC

I am not able to comment with any confidence on many of the tests, but I have taken things like Resveratrol and ALA a lot, and I would say that ALA has a stronger effect but needs to be taken in much higher quantities (1800mg a day plus). Even more effective is Chinese skullcap, which I have started a thread about. With regad to the zonulin I would try a FODMAP diet and leave out gluten in particular.

Does anyone know where to get a thorough immune profile like this in the UK?

No not as thorough as in Berlin. I did some prostaglandin testing in the UK at PRU in sheffield without referal from a doctor (I'm from The Netherlands): https://www.immqas.org.uk/pru.asp?CID=1

If anyone knows about threads on this forum that compiled labs or if you do know of a lab then send me a private message. I will incorporate them into this thread: https://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=3207.0

Someone could make a similar thread here on Phoenix Rising and pin that down.