• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Incredible improvements with Helminthic Therapy

I'm still hosting, and right at two years with hookworms (about 8 months hosting a truly therapeutic dose). And 3 years, 9 months of hosting total. (I began hosting rat tapeworms.) So far, for me, it helps some. It can be a rocky road, with ups and downs. I'd still rather host than not. I'm hosting ~ 37 hookworms now, and will probably maintain that level as a stable colony. Like Gyre, I reinnoculate with 4-5 hookworms, every 3 months. I find that schedule preferable for a variety of reasons, not the least of them being the hookworm bite rashes. I believe in hosting multiple species, but haven't yet acted on that belief.

I was thinking about hosting HDC's, but that will be further down the line. I'm interested in that species because of the cognitive benefits many get from it.

Gondwanaland

In mice:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29653264
Pharmacol Res. 2018 Apr 10;132:33-46. doi: 10.1016/j.phrs.2018.04.008. [Epub ahead of print]
Helminth infection in mice improves insulin sensitivity via modulation of gut microbiota and fatty acid metabolism.

Abstract
Intestinal helminths are prevalent in individuals who live in rural areas of developing countries, where obesity, type 2 diabetes, and metabolic syndrome are rare. In the present study, we analyzed the modulation of the gut microbiota in mice infected with the helminth Strongyloides venezuelensis, and fed either a standard rodent chow diet or high-fat diet (HFD). To investigate the effects of the microbiota modulation on the metabolism, we analyzed the expression of tight-junction proteins present in the gut epithelium, inflammatory markers in the serum and tissue and quantified glucose tolerance and insulin sensitivity and resistance. Additionally, the levels of lipids related to inflammation were evaluated in the feces and serum. Our results show that infection with Strongyloides venezuelensis results in a modification of the gut microbiota, most notably by increasing Lactobacillus spp. These modifications in the microbiota alter the host metabolism by increasing the levels of anti-inflammatory cytokines, switching macrophages from a M1 to M2 pattern in the adipose tissue, increasing the expression of tight junction proteins in the intestinal cells (thereby reducing the permeability) and decreasing LPS in the serum. Taken together, these changes correlate with improved insulin signaling and sensitivity, which could also be achieved with HFD mice treated with probiotics. Additionally, helminth infected mice produce higher levels of oleic acid, which participates in anti-inflammatory pathways. These results suggest that modulation of the microbiota by helminth infection or probiotic treatment causes a reduction in subclinical inflammation, which has a positive effect on the glucose metabolism of the host.

Update- I Inoculated with 15 NA on April 2nd. On day 5 till now, I noticed my stomach aches have been nonexistent. (My digestion is not that great and I usually belch a tad here and there but haven't since) obviously, this is just the "bounce" phase and I expect things to be rocky in the next coming months. I can't really comment on energy since I'm already taking supplements to eliminate fatigue. I will try post updates every month.

It's been 6 weeks since my last update. Nothing has changed, though I have retained the digestive improvements from Day 5.

Sounds like one less symptom to deal with is good news @Mylifesobright!
May I know whar you use for fatigue please?

I'm still trying to find a solution for fatigue. I'm taking magnolia bark and seriphos to lower cortisol, which lessens fatigue for me. D-ribose worked for a few weeks in the past. potassium has also helped a little. I have slightly elevated TSH levels, so for the past month, I have been supplementing with iodine and selenium. I can't really say if its doing anything, but I'm taking a low dose and plan to gradually increase it. My body does not react well to any kind of stimulants so I can't recommend any. Stimulants will give me energy, but I will eventually crash.

My improvements have diminished slightly. I did eat a few things that I probably shouldn't have that caused inflammation. I realize that food allergies usually get better after 1 year to 1 1/2 years of hosting, so It will be some time before I try to add new foods. I'm happy so far with the results. I will add 25 NA at the end of August, so I will give a new update around that time.

Tuukka

Medical Travelling
Interesting topic as I have been doing great efforts to get rid of the helmints, like Ascaris, instead of expecting them to cure me. Obviously that's not one of the benevolent helmints out there.

BenFromNZ

Some people can get away with only inoculating every 6 months, 1 year or even 3 years, but I'm obviously not one of them. A two to three month schedule with very small numbers (3-5 NA) is what seems to work best for me.

Hi Gyre, are you still finding this treatment helpful?

Anyone else on this thread still using - could you give an update?

BenFromNZ

Hey guys, I just had a conversation with Gyre on the facebook Helminthic Therapy Support group.

I asked if she was still using the therapy and getting benefits and asked if I could update this thread with her response. Here are the pertinent parts of our conversation.

--------------------
Me: Hi , are you still enjoying the same kind of benefits from this treatment as you detail on your website, and in your phoenix rising posts?

Gyre: Still vastly better. Coming out of winter here right now, which is always a harder season for me, but yeah, even then vastly better.
I'm still tweaking my dosing schedule to find what works best for me. It is a long haul experiment, but I incubate my own, so cheap. Next inoculation later this week.
I'd say my ME/CFS has reduced from the "Moderate" classification to "Mild". Ridiculous terms, of course, given that Mild is used for 50% reduction in your ability to have a life, but from what I can tell, improving a level is rare.
I did low doses for a couple of years, but now I'm having better outcomes with around 20 every 3 months. But I would in no way suggest that you ramp up that high until you are VERY comfortable with HT and have had at least a year at smaller doses for something like ME/CFS.
Me: Understood, I've been dealing with this illness a long time, so have gone down the path of trying to get better and increase doses quickly path enough times to play it very cautiously
Gyre: I'm definitely not "normal" as I said, but I don't live in a huddle mass on the couch at all times either. SOME times, definitely, but not all the time!
1f603.png
In general, I cook our meals, clean the house to the extent that I can be bothered, do our laundry, do a bit of freelance work and I haven't been too tired to chew in years.

Me: Yup, I understand. Any level of improvement is worth knowing about and might be a basis for building more improvements I suppose with additional therapies. But yeah from my experience when you've been so sick that you're stuck in bed and not even able to hardly talk or read, just being able to have more conversations or read a little more is a huge improvement, even though in comparison to most people you may still be extremely limited. So I understand what you're saying, not 100% fix, but worthwhile quality of life improvements

Gyre: that's the one. I've tried MANY things, as is usual, but nothing helped even a fraction as much as HT.

------------------

So it's encouraging that these benefits have continued for her. I have ordered 3 NA (NA refers to one type of Helminth, Necator americanus, that is used in Helminthic therapy - the same type as Gyre is using) to get started.

For anyone interested in this treatment I recommend joining the facebook group and reading through the wiki

https://helminthictherapywiki.org

There is a wealth of information on there and its very well put together. The section on condition like CFS recommends starting at much lower doses than other conditions. They recommend 3 NA to start with.

Last edited:

cigana

Hi Gyre, are you still finding this treatment helpful?

Anyone else on this thread still using - could you give an update?
I'm using HDC for the past few months. After each dose, it gives a big reduction in symptoms for about 1-2 days, then I'm back to normal (normal ill). I'm up to 100HDC every two weeks. I was on NA for about 1-1.5 years, similar story.

knackers323

I'm using HDC for the past few months. After each dose, it gives a big reduction in symptoms for about 1-2 days, then I'm back to normal (normal ill). I'm up to 100HDC every two weeks. I was on NA for about 1-1.5 years, similar story.

what does HDC and NA stand for please

I'm still on helminthic therapy and it still seems to work for. Just like Gyre I'm not by any stretch in remission, but I have gone from moderate to mild ME/CFS. I have something which resembles an ordinary life now.

I'm using NA and I'm currently giving TSO a shot as well. I seem to have a strong auto-immune component to my CFS for what it's worth. I can't guarantee that helminthic therapy will work for everyone, but it seems to me that considering it's low price and fairly low risk it is worth trying if you have spent a few years trying all the standard ways to treat our condition.

@Henrik Thanks. What sort of dosing regime for NA have you found to be best so far?

I'm currently re-upping with 10NA every 6 months or so. However, I think the optimal dose might vary between individuals. I'm not even sure I have the ideal dose and I'm still experimenting with both the dose and the species of helminths.

The one thing that I can say with some confidence is that it's better to start slow and work yourself up. Some studies on Pubmed start with a dose of 20NA and that is almost certainly too aggressive for most patient with ME/CFS. I started with 5NA which might get you there slower, but you also get way less side effects.

BenFromNZ

Thanks @Henrik. Makes sense what you say about still working out ideal dosage based on what I’ve been reading of other reports.

The wiki definitely recommends CFS patients to start really low, but even lower at 3 NA.