• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Increased methylation seems to cause unbelievably dry skin

For a couple of years I haven't been able to figure out why sometimes increases in methylation seem to cause incredibly dry skin. Dry skin so bad, that I can feel it tightening on my knuckles and it just rips open.

My supplementation is based on Freddd's protocol and incorporates the RnB protocol of Greg's (B12oils) as well. I have also tried varying components from others over the years (Yasko, Lynch, etc).

Has anyone else encountered this?

drmullin30

Hi Tor , according to https://acu-cell.com/index.html dry skin could be due to deficiencies of sodium, iron, choline, phosphorus, iodine, Vit E, Vit A, omega EFAs or by DHEA.

It can also be caused by too much calcium or magnesium or an imbalance between them.

Many of these nutrients can be forced into deficiency once methylation starts due to tissue healing and it can cause electrolytes to go out of whack which can also contribute to skin problems.

Hi Tor , according to https://acu-cell.com/index.html dry skin could be due to deficiencies of sodium, iron, choline, phosphorus, iodine, Vit E, Vit A, omega EFAs or by DHEA.

It can also be caused by too much calcium or magnesium or an imbalance between them.

Many of these nutrients can be forced into deficiency once methylation starts due to tissue healing and it can cause electrolytes to go out of whack which can also contribute to skin problems.

Thank you for the link and suggestions. I've been taking those in various amounts over time as I try to find the right balance, I'll try reading up again on them and trying some different amounts.

One odd thing that happened a couple of weeks ago was when I upped my Omega3 with high EPA and DHA capsules, it completely tanked my B5 and caused a ton of issues. Still can't figure that out either.

Have you tried phosphatidyl choline which is needed for methylation and you might be using up?

I had experimented a bit with it before, but I'm sensitive to soy and sunflower and always seemed to feel off when taking it. I have been using Citicholine instead, but have never been able to find information that solidly states if that is sufficient instead of Phosphatidylcholine. Perhaps it's time to try it out some more again. Thank you for the suggestion!