• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Increase Viral Load?

Stone

What kind of things would theoretically increase a person's viral load of XMRV assuming of course that they are XMRV positive?

A cold?

Exercise?

Thinking murine-related thoughts?

Any ideas or speculations on this anyone?

garcia

Aristocrat Extraordinaire
What kind of things would theoretically increase a person's viral load of XMRV assuming of course that they are XMRV positive?

A cold?

Exercise?

Thinking murine-related thoughts?

Any ideas or speculations on this anyone?

Androgens, namely testosterone.

Otis

Señor Mumbler
Androgens, namely testosterone.

Yep. For me testosterone poured gasoline on the fire and knocked my level of functioning WAY down. For me, is yet another reason why XMRV fits for my disease progression.

Daffodil

i have had CFS for 18 yrs. until 5 yrs ago, i was able to work part time. at that time, i had a very long-lasting, stressful event in my life. after that, every symptom of my CFS worsened until i became bedridden. i could feel the infection spreading, especially in my head.

so stress hormones definitely worsen his infection!

sue
oxo

SOC

I'm figuring anything that increases immune cell count could increase XMRV viral load

Attachment to IACFS/ME Newsletter, Vol 3, Issue 1, April 2010
Q and A Session with Dr Mikovits

Q: From what I read, XMRV is infecting immune cells, If patients take nutriceuticals that have been shown to increase natural killer cell count, could some of this increase in NK cells come from dividing infected cells, thus risking a heavier load of XMRV?

A: Because XMRV research is in its infancy, little is know about tissue reservoirs....
<snip>
You could potentially increase the viral load by increasing the NK cell count. However, we have done studies with compounds that increase NK cell Killing without increasing NK replication or XMRV viral loads so NK cells kill better and can therefore be efficacious in killing XMRV infected cells.<snip>
[my emphases]

I'd give you a link, but all I have is a hard copy. Sorry.

I'm assuming for the time being that anything that increases, T-, B-, NK cell counts has the potential to increase XMRV viral load. For that reason I'm avoiding most "immune enhancing" supplements until I know more.

Dr M says later in the same document:
Coinfecting viruses generate negative and positive signals the suppress or upregulate HIV-1, suggesting that signals generated by these viruses may largely affect XMRV transmission and pathogenesis as they do with HIV transmission and pathogenesis.

Note that this is all speculation at this point, we don't know very much at all about XMRV.

For myself and my family, I'm assuming for the moment that any herpesvirus infection is bad in combination with XMRV, particularly HHV-6 which is a known progression factor for HIV-->AIDS. So we're doing our best to eliminate those infections while we wait for XMRV treatment -- not that we know if we're XMRV+, yet. ;)

I'm figuring there's no harm in avoiding things that upregulate the immune system and eliminating coinfections, so even if the speculation turns out to be wrong, no harm as been done. :D

gu3vara

I can report the same negative effect from testosterone, I was still able to walk fairly good until testosterone and cortef came into play. I was awful after a couple months on them and it stayed that way after stopping.

SOC

Red, scratchy eyes?

You said to think murine-related thoughts.

Bwa, ha ha.

Sorry, back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Tina

LOL! :Sign Good one:

Sickofcfs, afraid of even thinking murine-related thoughts in this feline-infested house.

Stone

Thanks one and all for the great info, and as always, your humor. Lovin' it, lovin' it, lovin' it!