• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

In Memory of Patrick Johnson "PatJ"

Rebeccare

Moose Enthusiast
I wanted to quote this part of the obituary. I think it was a great comfort to his family to know how much Pat was loved here.

He was treasured dearly by his friends on the Phoenix Rising group for others with ME/CFS. He provided not only technical support but emotional support and friendship to its members.
He is remembered for his compassion and his kind and gentle spirit. He could always offer the perfect quote just when someone needed it most.
He lives on through his family and friends.
He left a mark on this world and has now moved on to his next life. He was serenity and grace. Now he is free.
‘When tomorrow comes, this day will be gone forever, leaving something in it’s place I have traded for it. I want it to be gain, not loss – good not evil, success, not failure in order that I shall not forget the price I paid for it’

YippeeKi YOW !!

There is an obituary for PatJ in the Yukon News now. Is it appropriate to post a link here?
Thank you for posting that, @L'engle .... very thoughty of you :hug::hug::hug: ....

All of us here have lost such a kind and good soul, and a generous and supportive friend .... a hugely valued, and valuable, member of this community.

I'm still having difficulty dealing with it :(:( .....

PracticingAcceptance

I've just seen the news and have had a big cry. I really barely knew him but to see someone's name so often and then to know they are not present in this world any more still hurts.

The obituary and what his sister wrote is really moving. The bit about his handmade cards felt like a wallop - this is a selfish reaction, but I hope that's the kind of thing someone might write about me when I die. I think to be known for handmade cards and gifts, to be remembered for what you gave, is so beautiful. He gave love. He gave his creativity. He really tried. And we know he gave his effort and knowledge on here - posting all that stuff to all newcomers. He gave a lot, and he will be remembered for doing that. He made the world better while he was here. I don't think it's possible to be remembered for anything better.

It's showing me that our worth to others is really not about what we earn, or the kind of job we have. It's about whether we touch people. It's about what we give. It's about sharing the voice that you have with the world with your creativity.

It's showing me that I am doing the best I can with my life. Thank you PatJ for showing me that tonight. You have the most beautiful obituary I've read. You lived life well. You made good choices.

I feel the loss of every person that we lose to this illness. We have been done an injustice by not having a cure yet. I'm angry. Finding a cure is a race against the clock.

Every time someone in our community dies, it scares me. How many more will we lose? One is too many. I see all your names and I fear for losing each of you. Losing anyone would hurt. Losing someone I interact with frequently would hurt, and has hurt a lot. I remember Ali who died a couple of years ago. You are each a blessing to this world. As was PatJ. Some of the nicest people ever have ME/CFS.

I looked up some of his old posts, and I found this. I'll leave it here.

The adventure of life is to learn. The purpose of life is to grow. The nature of life is to change. The challenge of life is to overcome. The essence of life is to care. The opportunity of like is to serve. The secret of life is to dare. The spice of life is to befriend. The beauty of life is to give.

—William Arthur Ward

Last edited by a moderator:

livinglighter

I just saw this devastating news. It bought a tear to my eye even though I barely knew him. His response to my introduction to this forum provided me with comfort and acceptance that there is more to ME/CFS and that I was not crazy. I showed it to my very pragmatic father who did not know what to believe was wrong with me and it definitely helped him decide I have neurological problems despite what the doctors say. Because of this I was glad to see he provided every other new member with the same information, he was determined to help even though he was suffering. I will miss seeing his contributions, but I understand and accept that he is now at peace as Buddha intended him to be.

To PatJ,
You will be missed and thank you for providing wonderful quotes, friendships and insight.
You now live on lighter.