• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

In Memory of Amberlin Wu.

Boule de feu

Amberlin Wu.png

Like me, you have probably seen her videos on YouTube.
She was using the name "muddipuppy".

I have learned this on Tina Tidmore's blog and was totally shocked.
http://mecfsfromme.blogspot.com/

Please have a thought for her family and Amberlin as she starts a new voyage.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dolphin

I can't say I knew her well but she helped proof-read a paper I was submitting so we exchanged a couple/few E-mails. I also bought a few of her cards - she was raising money for research.

Very sad. My sympathies.

jenbooks

Nobody has posted (that I've seen on FB or here) how she died. Was it suicide? Or drug overdose because of pain meds or something?

SOC

Nobody has posted (that I've seen on FB or here) how she died. Was it suicide? Or drug overdose because of pain meds or something?

My guess is that nobody has posted this because her friends and family don't want details of her death bantered about the internet at this time.

Boule de feu

Maybe we should delete this thread, then...
I feel pretty sorry for her family. I just lost my mom, too. I know how sensitive and sad one can be while going through such difficult moments.

SOC

Maybe we should delete this thread, then...
I feel pretty sorry for her family. I just lost my mom, too. I know how sensitive and sad one can be while going through such moments.

Yeah, it's tough, isn't it? :hug:

Announcing her death is probably okay. Maybe the details should wait for a a while.

SOC

I think we should use this discussion to tell Amberlin what she meant for us. Her blogs speak for themselves. She has done a lot for the CFS community. We should be thankful for her hard work.

That's a good idea, Fire -- celebrate her life. :thumbsup:

I lost my mom 2 years ago. Most of us are pretty raw in the first couple of months (at least) after such a loss.

usedtobeperkytina

As I said in the blog, as much as I too want to know why, I recognize that that desire in me is mostly self-serving. It doesn't do anything for her or her family for me to know how she died. Whatever the direct cause, we know her disease made her suffer, but she found a way to be a light in spite of it. I think it is a tragedy whether by injury or disease that her light has been snuffed.

As a reporter, I have covered many tragic deaths. I thought that would be the hardest part of my job. I hated the thought of calling up a mother or father and saying I needed to do a story about the fact their 17-year-old daughter just died in a car wreck the day before. It seemed totally insensitive and invasive at the worst time. And yet, it is a job I had to do.

However, I found that family members most often were welcoming, as long as the story gave more focus on their life, rather than their death or how they died. This is why people do obituaries. It is a way to mark the passing of someone who was loved, tells their value, celebrates their contributions.

So normally, family wants people to know about the passing of their loved one. In fact, it almost seems insensitive to not take note of someone passing. Telling about it shows how important that person's life was to so many. I can't speak for Amberlin's family, but I would imagine that they are heartened by so many in the ME/CFS world giving their positive comments about Amberlin. I know if it was my sister, I would be comforted by seeing my sister's name all over the Internet with people telling how she touched their lives.

If anyone sees the obituary, please post it or send it to me.

Thanks.

Tina