• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

IMD Berlin, My test for inflammation/ IL-1 beta, IL-1ra, BDNF, RANTES, AGE, help!

pattismith

I tested 12 parameters and 5 are out of range:

IL-1 beta, BDNF, RANTES, AGE are high
IL-1ra is low

I don't know if it is significant or not..Any idea?

IMG_2452.jpg

Martin aka paused||M.E.

There is a study that shows that what you have tested is elevated in ME/CFS patients. It shows you that you have an inflammation. I don’t think you have to visit a dentist because of RANTES

pattismith

High IL-1 and low IL-1ra are consistent with inflammation, but you probably already know this!

Yes I do, but I'm not used to these tests, and I don't have knowledge about consensus on reference ranges.:)

I'm also a bit concerned because I did test my blood one month before in a french lab and they found my IL-1beta was less than 5 pg/ml (normal).

On the other hand low IL-1ra/high IL-1 beta would match well with my brain neuroinflammation, so I guess it's a logical target to improve my illness.:thumbsup:

There is a study that shows that what you have tested is elevated in ME/CFS patients. It shows you that you have an inflammation. I don’t think you have to visit a dentist because of RANTES

thank you for your reply Martin, :hug:
before testing, I was curious about my IL-8, because it was found high in some studies, but mine seems ok.

Martin aka paused||M.E.

Yes I do, but I'm not used to these tests, and I don't have knowledge about consensus on reference ranges.:)

I'm also a bit concerned because I did test my blood one month before in a french lab and they found my IL-1beta was less than 5 pg/ml (normal).

On the other hand low IL-1ra/high IL-1 beta would match well with my brain neuroinflammation, so I guess it's a logical target to improve my illness.:thumbsup:

thank you for your reply Martin, :hug:
before testing, I was curious about my IL-8, because it was found high in some studies, but mine seems ok.
Really? Didn't find any study. Mine is high. But RANTES BDNF etc are low except IL-1beta... Shows how much we differ

Hip

no, but maybe it would be a good idea to do a checkup with a dentist

A regular dentist is unlikely to be able to help. For jawbone cavitation infections, it is only a handful of dentists who know how to test for these. Some info in the jawbone cavitation section of my roadmap.

Typically a jawbone cavitation occurs when wisdom teeth are removed, and the periodontal ligament is not properly cleaned out.

Some papers of interest:

pattismith

Really? Didn't find any study. Mine is high. But RANTES BDNF etc are low except IL-1beta... Shows how much we differ
So we have common IL-1beta upregulation.

Down regulation can be target by TLR2 inhibition or Caspase 1 inhibition.

Naltrexone can inhibit TLR2 (the dose needed to achieve it is higher than the LDN), Azithromycin, Doxycycline, ..

1623698285512.png

pattismith

A regular dentist is unlikely to be able to help. For jawbone cavitation infections, it is only a handful of dentists who know how to test for these. Some info in the jawbone cavitation section of my roadmap.

Typically a jawbone cavitation occurs when wisdom teeth are removed, and the periodontal ligament is not properly cleaned out.

Thank you @Hip , I didn't have any teeth removed so not a good candidate for this affection, but I read RANTES can rise with glucose intolerance and diabete type 2.

This is probably my case, as I realized yesterday my post prandial glycemia was very high. It's probably driven by my modafinil intake, so it's just one more drug I have to stop because of the side effects...

mitoMAN

To quote the ME/CFS CYTOKINE study in my previously started thread:
The association of plasma cytokines with diagnosis and symptoms of ME: .... diagnosis of ME/CFS is significantly associated with increased plasma content of IL-10, MIP-1β, and RANTES and lower PDGF, IL-6, eotaxin, MIP-1α and VEGF. ...... higher plasma values of IL-1β, IL-8, IL-10, IP-10, and RANTES were significantly associated with higher Chalder Fatigue scores i.e. greater perceived fatigue"

https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...nts-with-myalgic-encephalomyelitis-cfs.81197/

RANTES is now heavily found in long covid too and doesnt seem to be related to any jawbone damage but rather damage of blood vessles.