• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

IIME 14th International ME Conference, May 31, 2019 London

Gemini

The IIMEC14 International ME Conference begins at 8:55am Friday May 31, 2019 in London.

www.investinme.org/IIMEC14.shtml

Preliminary Agenda [subject to change] featuring these speakers:

Dr. Ian Gibson, UEA

Professor Don Staines, Centre for Neuroimmunology(NCNED), Griffiths University, Australia

Professor Simon Carding, Quadram Institute Bioscience, UK

Dr. Oystein Fluge, Haukeland University Hospital, Norway

Professor Karl Johan Tronstad, Haukeland University Hospital, Norway

Dr. Ron Tompkins, Center for Surgery, Science, and Bioengineering, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, USA

European ME Clinicians Council Panel

Anne Ortegren Memorial Lecture

Dr. Vicky Whittemore, NIH National Institute of Neurological Diseases(NINDS), USA

Professor Ron Davis, Stanford Genome Technology Center, Stanford University School of Medicine, USA

Associate Professor Mady Hornig, Center for Infection & Immunity, Columbia University, USA

Professor Maureen Hanson, Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Cornell University, USA

Plenary Session

Adjourn

Belbyr

@Pyrrhus looks like an early start with 7:30 Registration and a planned nine to five day!

Last year I remember they did a great job keeping on schedule!
I didn't realize they did one of these last year, did anything come of it? I'm wondering if I should have high expectations of new research data or increased funding from the NIH?

Gemini

I didn't realize they did one of these last year, did anything come of it? I'm wondering if I should have high expectations of new research data or increased funding from the NIH?
@Belbyr there were outstanding presentations at the 2018 Conference. If you're interested Ron Davis' is on YouTube:

Nicely formatted DVD's at reasonable cost featuring all presenters and prior conferences can be ordered on the IIME website.

As for NIH funding, don't know what impact this Conference has. However, last year NIH's Dr. Avi Nath was a presenter and also attended the two-day closed door ME Biomedical Research Colloquium which precedes it. [This year's Colloquium is May 29-30.]

He commented [his words] the scientific discussion at the Colloquium was "superb," progress being made was "mindboggling," there's "real data" here, and that "huge strides" have been made in a short amount of time. It's good he experienced this firsthand, I think.

Gemini

Updated Agenda for IIMEC14 May 31, 2019 [changes may occur]:

07.45 Registration

08.45 IiMER Opening

09:00 #InvestinMEResearch Dr Ian Gibson

09:10 CDC update Dr Elizabeth Unger

09:25 NIH Update Dr Vicky Whittemore

09:45 Immune Dysregulation in ME/CFS Professor Maureen Hanson

10.10 Fingerprinting the Phenotypes of ME/CFS Along the Gut-Immune-Brain Axis
Assoc. Professor Mady Hornig

10:35 Refreshments Break

11:05 Transient receptor potential ion channels in the aetiology and pathomechanism of CFS/ME
Professor Don Staines

11:30 Pathophysiological Basis of Fibromyalgia Dr David Andersson

11:55 Characteristics and pathophysiologic changes in a large cohort of Danish ME-patients.
Dr Jesper Mehlsen

12.20 Lunch

13.20 Anne Örtegren Memorial Lecture: Pain and ME/CFS Professor Stuart Bevan

13:45 Developments at Quadram Institute Professor Simon Carding

14:05 Rituximab in ME/CFS: a randomised, double-blind and placebo-controlled trial
Dr Oystein Fluge

14.30 Metabolic profiling and associations to clinical data in ME Professor Karl Johan Tronstad

14:55 Refreshments Break

15:25 Integrative Medicine Approach to Treatment of ME Professor Nancy Klimas

15:50 Harvard Plans for Clinical Research (tbc) Dr Ron Tompkins

16:10 Physiological and fMRI measures before and after symptom provocation by invasive cardiopulmonary exercise testing Dr Michael VanElzakker

16:35 Stanford Metabolomics & Genetics Study Update Professor Ron Davis

17:10 Summary Plenary Session Panel discussion

17:30 IIMEC14 Close

Last edited:

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
Really glad to see Fluge presenting. I really hope hes able to stay engaged.
Glad to see Mady Hornig up there as well - we've haven't much from her lately.
Glad to see Ron Tompkins up there too - superb researcher - really looking forward to seeing what the Harvard Research Center will do.
And then there's VanElzakker - finally presenting some data - and on brain changes after exercise -focused primarily I suppose on the brainstem :) :)

So glad to see a lecture in honor of Anne Ortegren....

Gemini

Glad to see Mady Hornig up there as well - we've haven't (heard) much from her lately.
@Cort At the NIH Conference last month Ian Lipkin said he was going to apply new serological chips/arrays to ME/CFS having successfully used them to discover enterovirus triggers in Acute Flaccid Myelitis. ["Accelerating ME/CFS Research Conference," Day 2 Videocast, 2:24:15]

Wonder if she'll talk about that or something else?

A similar discovery of the triggers of ME/CFS would be a major breakthrough, a long time coming...

Last edited:

kendonoghue

Ken Donoghue