• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

I tested negative to both tests

JAH

the book that helped me the most when I was at my darkest was When Things Fall Apart, by Pema Chodron. I felt that she was talking directly to me. (I'd send you mine if I could find it!) I find it difficult to read-- but if you can find the strength (which you have)- I hope you will read it. Listen to music, breathe, and don't let go of hope.

JAH

Marco

Grrrrrrr!
hi mark..thanks for the post:)

i in fact did get that book (it was recommended to me by a neuropsychiatrist who informed me that CFS is probably psychological)..but my fog is so bad that i was unable to read even 1 page.

i am beyond the end of my tether..i honestly don't know how i am existing right now. i am in an utter nightmare. i know i always say that so its really lost its meaningl...but this is just..very very bad.

Hi again

I appreciate entirely the problem with brain fog. I can easily summarise. The core of the book is to develop a state of mindfulness through various types of meditation. The simplest method being just to practice abdominal breathing, concentrating on the breath and letting any thoughts that arise be acknowledged without judgement and let go again. Aim to practice every day for around 20 mins or as long as you can manage but don't aim to see results - just do it and treat it as your personal time to experience some peace. BTW the case studies in the book include patients with heart disease, severe back pain, hypertension and of course stress - and what could be more stressful than having a very disbling illness that no-one wants to take seriously or treat. So just because it was recommended by a psychiatrist doesn't necessarily make it valueless.

I just can't help feeling that if your brain fog problems make reading a fairly lightly written book difficult then you are probably not in the best place - at this time - to make a major decision to undertake a course of treatment with any substance known to have significant side effects. The very worst that can happen with the mindfulness practice is that you have a few moments daily relaxation.

Hope this helps

Mark