• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

I found something to help with sound sensitivity

Hufsamor

:rofl::lol:

By the way, my earplugs are custom made.....
But even so, I can't use them too much without getting pain in my ears.
So I save those for special occasions.

On daily bases I use big ear cuffs ment for music.
With my new hum in the house I might load down some white sound on my iPad

YippeeKi YOW !!

So I wonder whether to check pharmacies
@Shoshana
I think I'd start with pharmacies. Then check out Healthy Living, a catalogue store that does mail order (just got a catalogue from them which is how I could find the number), 800/ 800-0100 .... then do a google search for ear plugs and see what that coughs up, check out the "images" choice, so you can match up the exact right plugs ..... there's a couple of other places I can't quite pull into focus right now .... oh, maybe Cayce's Heritage Store ...

More as it occurs to my 2 1/2 brain cells today .....

Last edited:

Wolfcub

I almost said when I asked at first, that I don't buy from Amazon or shop online.
Local stores when possible, mail order if absolutely necessary. I know, I am a dinosaur, but I prefer to remain one.

So I wonder whether to check pharmacies or hardware/household type stores, or ????
I wonder @Shoshana .....if you went to your local pharmacy and describe the ear plugs, and their name....if maybe it would be possible they could order them in for you to collect there?

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
Those plugs are designed for people who listen to a lot of loud live music such as musicians and need to have better sound quality. I would think that most people with CFS who have a lot of sound sensitivity would be disabled and not out in the world so they wouldn't be needed. They cost a lot more ($20) than the normal drug store plugs that I occasionally use for noisy neighbours in my apartment complex so I wouldn't get them.

Another thing I use is the Homedics white and background noise generator.

https://www.amazon.com/Sound-Fideli...=8-22-spons&keywords=homedics+sounds+spa&th=1

The main limitation to that is it only works for one room.

There are a lot of headphones that have active noise cancellation too.

Wolfcub

:rofl::lol:

By the way, my earplugs are custom made.....
But even so, I can't use them too much without getting pain in my ears.
So I save those for special occasions.

On daily bases I use big ear cuffs ment for music.
With my new hum in the house I might load down some white sound on my iPad
@Hufsamor I have heard of many many people all round the world who are hearing that hum and it isn't tinnitus.

jesse's mom

Those plugs are designed for people who listen to a lot of loud live music such as musicians and need to have better sound quality. I would think that most people with CFS who have a lot of sound sensitivity would be disabled and not out in the world so they wouldn't be needed. They cost a lot more ($20) than the normal drug store plugs that I occasionally use for noisy neighbours in my apartment complex so I wouldn't get them.
I realize this and am using them for going to the hospital for tests and other mandatory trips out of the house.

I have been house bound for years, and mostly bedridden for 16 months.

Hufsamor

r I have heard of many many people all round the world who are hearing that hum and it isn't tinnitus.

I haven't heard about it before,
but I actually started a thread about this hum...
(Wondering a bit if it was tinnitus)

I got replies about this worldwide hum,
very interesting....
I've downloaded some apps, I can measure the hum,
so now I now its real for sure...
Thanks for the feedback, all the things I learn in this forum!!!

YippeeKi YOW !!

I would think that most people with CFS who have a lot of sound sensitivity would be disabled and not out in the world so they wouldn't be needed.
Unfortunately, "...not out in the world.." doesn't preclude the world bringing itself to the inside of yours...which is way worse, because that's our sanctuary, the one place where we have the right, and the need, to feel protected from it.

Last edited:

Howard

suffering ceases when craving is removed
@Shoshana

Soundproof Earmuffs

Ever since my spinal tap and subsequent spinal fluid leakage incident back in 2007, the sides of my head have remained extremely sensitive to touch. Even wearing sunglasses can be painful and headache-inducing, depending on where and how much direct pressure is applied.

I've mentioned this before, but I have a pair of large lime green industrial strength earmuffs (made by Holmes) that also happen to have soft thick padding.

At first, I could not wear them either. But I had one of my stepsons stretch them out for me, so they would no longer fit as snuggly. After having made that adjustment I was able to wear them comfortably all day long, even in my sleep. And they really limit high frequency noise input.

The only negative when wearing these earmuffs is that my heartbeat and/or pulse is amplified, but eventually I got used to it.

So, during much of 2016 and 2017 those earmuffs were a lifesaver, and I rarely took them off.

I'm not sure if this is a solution for you or anybody else, but I wanted to put this out there just in case. I cannot remember who I shared this information with previously. :)

3M-Earmuffs-With-Liquid-Foam-Earmuff-Cushions.jpg

Similar model

Last edited: