• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hypersensitivity to Sound

Lisa

One odd thing I was reminded of today is how sometimes it isn't necessarily the sound itself but the vibrations it can cause. An average sized fly was buzzing around me at one point and though the sound of it can be annoying but ignored, the vibrations it was causing in my ear every time it got too close were causing my head to blank each time.

Almost like the blanking was in time to the wing beats and flickering like a strobe. This seems to happen only with the flying bugs or other objects that whiz by and may not make a sound but the wind passing my ear can cause a total fritz in thinking.

I hope to try an allergy rotation diet in a few months to try to find out if there are some hidden culprits in what Jeremy (my partner) and I are eating. We have a pretty limited diet the last seven years and the light bulb just turned on a couple weeks ago that it might be leading to our lack of healing.

Lisa

Hiya!
Lets see...

Gosh, this is a hard one since I don't know where to start! Hopefully one day soon I'll have a burst of feeling more of the umph needed for a personal post in the Personal Statements area so that I'll have a framework to go from for questions like this. :)

But the simple answer would be that due to a change in our supplement routine of the last 18 months both Jeremy and I have been crashing pretty steadily. Because of this crashing I started avidly reading CFS forums, mostly the ProHealth boards at first because they have years worth of posts and a decent search function.

It seemed like at least 70% of everything I was reading while following various ideals I had would end up leading me to posts saying something like "You have to get your gut in working order so that you can detox better, absorb nutrients better, and plug the leaks!"

After reading it time and time again, one time the light bulb went off and though I had read it at least 20 times by then - that was the time it stuck. We both have the usual IBS. Our diet is mostly wheat, oats, canned black beans, and soy strips for added protein. It's almost entirely organic - but leaves a lot to be desired. I forgot the fresh produce but it is mostly only garlic, onion, root veggies (mostly carrots), and sometimes mushrooms.

Long story short - we don't have any way to refrigerate or freeze anything usually, we only have a gimpy two burner hot plate and no oven or other cooking method. Jeremy only does about 100% of the cooking the last several years so there are no complaints from me. hehe

Problem also arises from us being about equally ill so the options for cooking on our gimpy burner become even more limited. Then add to it a real problem getting dishes done so needing to keep it to a bare minimum of things getting dirty and a very non-user friendly cooking area... I think we have been doing pretty good for what we have, funny as that may sound.

And lastly, Jeremy's dad does the shopping for us from the local co-op and isn't really very good at picking out produce so we keep the items very simple. Plus, sometimes the co-op charges outrageous prices for the same thing that was cheap last week. After his dad came home with a bag of six small tomatoes for $20 (I kid you not!), we decided to keep him to buying things that never change in price much. He tries to help and is the only person who does so we have learned to work with his limitations.

Hmm, I'm fizzling out here on being able to think. I hope I answered the question! :D If I didn't actually answer it fully - ask again! Second try I might do better. hehe

Hug!
Lisa

Jody

Lisa,

You're in a pretty tough situation in which to be able to feed yourselves properly, that's for sure.

I admire the tenacity and endurance both you and Jeremy have shown in surviving in your situation.

You were telling me about the light bulb going off concerning dietary things. And you told me what types of food you eat, and that you both have IBS.

I think you maybe were going to talk about what you think would be a better diet for you two ... ? :)

Lisa

Ah yes! The next logical step :)

One reason I am aiming for a better diet in a few months is I really hoping to bring us back around from this crash some during that time. With just a bit more energy again I want to try for a minifrige and at least a small toaster oven but it takes time mostly because we have only one electrical outlet we can run things on while they off gas outside and it is currently in use.

At that point I want to rotate us at least through some different grains - rice, barley, quiona. Rice might not work out since I have had intolerances to it off and on all my life. We somehow came across a way to prepare white, long grain basmatti such that I actually feel really good when I have it. But it takes a lot of work because it needs to be extremely well rinsed, soaked, well rinsed again, then cooked. Well rinsed usually is at least 20 rinses to get all the powdery residue off the grains.

As well I'd like to see us get off the canned beans and instead use home cooked ones of various legumes. Mostly need the refrigerator so we can slowly work on making something in our big cook pot today and get a couple days worth of food made up on good days that then stores for when we have the bad day or two.

Unfortunately a bunny ate my garden this year or we would have some other veggies to add - always feel a little better in the summer with the extra greens. Things from our co-op come too stinky of store products (like floor cleaner, etc) sometimes which is another reason we stick to root veggies - they can be peeled. It just doesn't seem like a good idea to try to peel spinach. lol

It would be very nice to be able to get some organic meat, which there is the option of in town, but the price is pretty prohibitive. Funny for me to be saying that though, up till this last year I had been a vegetarian for about 12 years and mostly vegan the last 7. I started having cravings for meat though and Jeremy just joined the vegetarian wagon for me so he was game to trying it again too. From what we have tried, lamb seems to satiate the best while next would be chicken. I was a big beef fan years ago but it just doesn't sit well now, nor did the turkey we tried but it was better than the beef.

Thats about as clear as I can get on changes for now since the other reason to wait a few months is to have time to plan this out better.

First step - get a minifrige soon as it is looking like the electrical outlet will be free again. I've wanted one for a few years now but never seem to be able to make it happen for one reason or another. Haven't given up trying though!

Take care,
Lisa

Jody

Ah yes! The next logical step :)

I want to try for a minifrige and at least a small toaster oven but it takes time mostly because we have only one electrical outlet we can run things on while they off gas outside and it is currently in use.

Lisa

Pardon my CFS brain, Lisa.

I don't understand what you're telling me about your electrical outlet.