• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hydrogen water as a treatment for myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome: a pilot randomized trial (Friedberg et Choi, 2022)

Abstract

Background: Given the absence of effective medical treatments for myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), the testing of a new intervention that may ameliorate potentially pathologic levels of oxidative stress, sympathetic arousal, and inflammation may yield symptomatic improvements.

Objective: To explore in a pilot study, the possible beneficial effect of molecular hydrogen (H2) for the symptoms and functional limitations of ME/CFS.

Methods: Twenty-three subjects were randomized to H2 or active placebo which involved drinking up to five glasses daily of hydrogen-enriched water or placebo water for 28 days. Assessments included: (i) self-report fatigue, physical function, and stress; (ii) salivary C-Reactive Protein (inflammation), Uric Acid (antioxidant status), and Alpha-Amylase (sympathetic function); and (iii) heart rate variability (parasympathetic activity). Data were analysed with Wilcoxon rank-sum tests.

Results: Completion rate for the primary outcome measure of fatigue severity was 100% for the 11 hydrogen participants and 91.7% (n = 11) for placebo participants. No significant changes were found on self-report or biological variables in the active vs. placebo treatment conditions. A small, but significant reduction in fatigue was found in the placebo condition. Adverse effects led to treatment discontinuation in 27.2% of H2 subjects. All severe- and moderate-intensity effects were found in the active treatment condition. Adverse effects were not significantly associated with any demographic or symptom variable.

Conclusions: Therapeutic molecular hydrogen did not yield improvement on any biological or symptom measure in individuals with ME/CFS. Dosage reduction might benefit any future trial of hydrogen therapy in this illness. Clinical trials# NCT05013606

The study: https://cogentoa.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/21641846.2022.2038519

Pyrrhus

Thanks for posting! :thumbsup:

Main points:
  1. A pilot study [to examine] the possible beneficial effect of molecular hydrogen (H2) for the symptoms and functional limitations of ME/CFS.
  2. Twenty-three subjects were randomized to H2 or active placebo which involved drinking up to five glasses daily of hydrogen-enriched water or placebo water for 28 days.
  3. No significant changes were found on self-report or biological variables in the active vs. placebo treatment conditions. A small, but significant reduction in fatigue was found in the placebo condition.
  4. Therapeutic molecular hydrogen did not yield improvement on any biological or symptom measure in individuals with ME/CFS.

SlamDancin

Curious though, the biological markers they list;
salivary C-Reactive Protein (inflammation), Uric Acid (antioxidant status), and Alpha-Amylase (sympathetic function); and (iii) heart rate variability (parasympathetic activity).”

I wonder if these were confirmed to be significantly different from HC and, if so, wouldn’t that be a pretty significant finding?

Hip

I found hydrogen-rich water is effective for treating the stress sensitivity of ME/CFS. It works quickly too, within an hour or so. If I have a day where I feel more emotionally sensitive to stressors, I will prepare and drink 200 ml of hydrogen-rich water. See this post.

However, I did not find hydrogen-rich water effective for any other ME/CFS symptom.

Hip

How do you make hydrogen water?

I use the home method described in this post. This will make a litre of 5 ppm hydrogen-rich water (HRW) for about 1 pence.

You can buy electrical HRW makers. These electrical units make HRW with about 1 ppm or so.

You can also buy fizzy tablets which you drop into water to make HRW. Again they will produce about 1 ppm or so.

It's only pressurised systems which can make concentrations higher than 1 ppm, because you need higher pressures if you want to dissolve more H2 into the water.