• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Humidifier

godlovesatrier

In the winter when the heating is on my mouth becomes like the Sahara desert and it doesn't matter how much I drink I just cannot hydrate. Bare in mind I drink about 2 to 3 litres of water a day as per the Joshua Leisk protocol.

Anyway my symptoms also flare when the central heating is on and it just got cold in the UK today so now my symptoms are really bad because the heatings in.

Has anyone found a humidifier helpful and if so what did you notice? I'm considering buying one to try and save my mouth but it could be a total waste of money. I figure purifying the air and reintroducing moisture that's been suckedd out of it would be good.

I live in a new build these days which makes it much worse because the house is so well insulated it's bone dry. Great for mould but shit for my ME in other ways it seems.

Thanks in advance for any tips to help me get a handle on this!

Rufous McKinney

Sahara desert mouth, same here. Mine is centered on my throat and tongue. Brutal sometimes.

Interesting that drinking water hasn't helped you. Despite all this, I don't drink very much water so I recently wondered if increasing my water intact alot would help- I suspect its irrelevant.

The chinese herbs really help me with this dried out crap. Its one of the main reasons I got them.

so this desiccation is a key component of our illness. Part of the "Yin Deficiency".

the latest study thinks low winter humidity is whats making us vulnerable to colds and flus and our heaters are really drying out our indoor spaces. (figure the Vit D thing is contributing, too)

I"m putting out some pans of water today- by the pilot light....and maybe under our bed.

Rufous McKinney

Has anyone found a humidifier helpful and if so what did you notice? I'm considering buying one to try and save my mouth but it could be a total waste of money.

an issue with sleeping is the jaw opening and now your breathing thru your mouth and that makes Sahara Mouth become unbearable.

I'm a side sleeper, and seem to have some maneuver wherein I hold my jaw closed when I go to sleep and it tends to stay that way. I put my hand under my chin, often.

I've considered buying a chin strap to just make it more guanranteed I won't start mouth breathing.

eyes are sinuses are all dry here, too.

godlovesatrier

Things really were pretty good before the heating and flu jab occured. But now I'm almost 8 weeks post flu jab. Can tolerate a twenty minute walk without pem. But the heating relapses me continually.

I am quite dry tonight though in the nasal passages. Found a humidifier that's only £55. So think I'll get one. It emits warm mist apparently. Hoping it won't soak my room!

godlovesatrier

As for the Chinese herbs it's bizarre how much I can't tolerate compared to 2018/19. While my energy is better my ME symptoms...well a few don't seem to have budged much.

I am still way better than I was last year. Makes me wonder how I ever did it.

godlovesatrier

Absolutely. Issue is I can't take tinctured anymore. Or sugary foods or anything acidic. This did go away for the first 3 months on the Joshua Leisk protocol but it's now come back. If I ever get a steight run without f'ing vaccines I might stand a chance of recovering. As it is my body is just coping and getting by right now. 3 relapses so far this year. Soon to be on my 4th next week.

My wife has a tiny one that she has enjoyed in the past. If your main issue is at night you could buy a portable humidifier for a fraction of the price and just stick it next to your bed at night.

godlovesatrier

I added the humidifier and my issues went away, forgot to send an update. Not saying it did stacks for my ME but I don't crash because the heatings on anymore.