• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Humic & Fulvic Acids

Hip

One thing to be aware of is that when fulvic and humic acids are mixed with chlorine (from chlorinated water) they apparently create deadly carcinogens called trihalomethane and mutagen X.

So it may be a good idea to avoid drinking chlorinated tap water at the same time as taking fulvic and humic acid supplements.

m1she11e

Actually, I was told that is why it is hard to get a pure fulvic/humic without the chlorine and other junk. The better ones make sure there is NO CHLORINE!! I wouldnt take it at all if there wasnt a non-chlorinated option!!

Hip

I am sure the better quality ones are fine, but presumably there is a potential for fulvic/humic acids to meet chlorine in your stomach if you are drinking chlorinated tap water. Filtered or mineral water I guess is fine.

Since fulvic/humic acids make cell membranes more permeable, and so make cells better able to absorb nutrients, I guess it might be a good idea to take the vitamins and minerals that our cells are short of in CFS, at the same time as taking these fulvic/humic acids.

mw_

Hi, what are your experiences of this? Is there any particular manufacturer or brand you can recommend? I'd suppose getting a powder and then making liquid yourself (by adding some drops of sodium thiosulfate and then non-chlorinated water) would be the best thing for longer-term use. Kind regards

minimus

I am a patient of Paul Cheney. He recommends that patients mix a small amount (1/2 teaspoon) of Mother Earth Labs "The Gift", a fulvic and humid acid concentrate, with a one liter bottle of Iceland Spring water or other good bottled water once a day. This tests very good on echocardiograms. It cannot be mixed with tap water because of the chlorine in tap water. He also recommends using it sparingly, since a higher dose will chelate heavy metals, which is dangerous. I can't say I have noticed any positive effects from this, but have only used it for a few days. Interesting that these acids may have anti-viral properties. That may explain why humic and fulvic acids test well on his echocardiographies.

Lotus97

I've been curious about humic/fulvic acids. A few years ago I heard about something called Shilajit, but wasn't sure what it was. I found out recently that Shilajit is an adaptogen and that there are standardized extracts of Shilajit which are standardized for Fulvic Acid content. I have also heard of humic/fulvic acids used for chelation. I found a thread with someone recounting a bad experience with Powdered Zeolite and Enzymatic Therapy Complete Metal Cleanse which contains Humifulvate Complex (humic, fulvic, and phenolic acids). Here is a link to the thread:

http://curezone.com/forums/am.asp?i=1883363

I have been planning on getting a powdered or liquid Zeolite supplement and possibly also a Shilajit/Humic/Fulvic supplement as well. There's actually a liquid Zeolite supplement with Fulvic Acid which would most likely be used for mercury/heavy metal detox, but it would also be good for Lyme

http://www.iherb.com/Organic-by-Nature-Pure-Planet-Fulvic-Zeolite-1-fl-oz-30-ml/39558

Also a Fulvic Acid/Trace Minerals supplement by the same brand:
http://www.iherb.com/Organic-by-Nature-Pure-Planet-Ionic-Elements-4-fl-oz-120-ml/38018

Lotus97

One thing I don't understand is that humic/fulvic acids are being sold as trace mineral supplements, but then it's also being sold for heavy metal detox. How does that work exactly?

tyson oberle

I am a patient of Paul Cheney. He recommends that patients mix a small amount (1/2 teaspoon) of Mother Earth Labs "The Gift", a fulvic and humid acid concentrate, with a one liter bottle of Iceland Spring water or other good bottled water once a day. This tests very good on echocardiograms. It cannot be mixed with tap water because of the chlorine in tap water. He also recommends using it sparingly, since a higher dose will chelate heavy metals, which is dangerous. I can't say I have noticed any positive effects from this, but have only used it for a few days. Interesting that these acids may have anti-viral properties. That may explain why humic and fulvic acids test well on his echocardiographies.
Hi Minimus
Are you still taking this concoction? Are you feeling any better? Has Dr Cheney helped you?

Lotus97

So filtered water is ok? If it doesn't completely remove chlorine what's the worst that can happen? Oh right, cancer. Seriously, is filtered water ok?

Lotus97

I noticed some brands say to take shilajit/fulvic acid with a meal, but someone here says to take on an empty stomach. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Also, would distilled water be better than filtered water since it's hard to know how much chlorine is removed from filtered water? I've heard that drinking distilled water is bad, but maybe that's only if it's your main source of drinking water for the entire day.

Just had a look at Dr Laub's interviews on the http://www.humichealth.info/ website.

He appears to indicate that Humic Acid is better at attaching itself to cell than fulvic acid.

Although he did state that sometimes the phrase has been used interchangeably

I understand that humic acid chelates.

It would be useful to know whether mineral supplementation should be taken, when taking Humic Acid

Many people also have some other issues, candida, bacteria, parasites, metal issues

It would also be useful to know if there are any indirect consequences on these other issues when taking humic acid

undcvr

I feel that fulvic acid works for cfs/me bcos we need alot of support to compensate for a tough childhood or one that didn't have much support in it. Fulvic acid does nothing else except act as a facilitator and supporter of numerous activities in the body.
I think that from a psychological point of view it fits very neatly with what alot of pple with cfs did not have as children: supportive parents. I find this very interesting.

Thanks for the warning about Chlorine interacting with humic-fulvic minerals. I did not know. I am taking VitaEarth Humic-Fulvic blend, which is really helping in some way (especially sleep, perhaps energy, a little) - but the manufacturers just say take with non-chlorinated water (they don't say why) and with food (not stating that food could be prepared with chlorinated water).

I have done some research, but I have not been able to find out HOW MUCH chlorine in the water is dangerous. Even mineral water contains 5-15mg/litre of chlorine - is this dangerous? If it is taken away from water altogether, when is it then safe to drink water again? Does anybody know?

douglasmich

One thing to be aware of is that when fulvic and humic acids are mixed with chlorine (from chlorinated water) they apparently create deadly carcinogens called trihalomethane and mutagen X.

So it may be a good idea to avoid drinking chlorinated tap water at the same time as taking fulvic and humic acid supplements.

How long should i wait after consuming shilajit to consume chlorine water?

cheers

douglasmich

Im taking 250mg sjilajit in the morning on empty stomach. Seem profound benefits in mood. I drink water 1hr after. Hopefully not poisoning myself lol