• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Human Herpesvirus-6 Reactivation, Mitochondrial Fragmentation, Paper Pub. 4/1/20 - Dr. Prusty

sometexan84

Does anyone know of any attempts to take this line of research to explain any of the autonomic dysfunction that plague so many with ME/CFS?
I will give it a shot.

Glycolysis Dysfunction (Neil McGregor's study) + Cellular Metabolism Dysfunction (Prusty's study)
Prusty's findings show cellular metabolism dysfunction including glycolysis function (not just mitochondrial dysfunction.

1. Glycolysis converts glucose to energy, it's our main energy source.

2. If HHV-6 RNA's inhibit glycolysis function, then our body uses fat for energy.

3. If impaired mitochondria (from HHV-6 RNA) inhibit fatty acid conversion, then our body uses muscle & protein for energy.

4. This results in a hypermetabolic state "in which the body is pulling out all its stops in an attempt to get energy."

5. Hypermetabolism involves autonomic dysfunction, including all the usual suspects (heart palpitations, fatigue, abnormal heart rate and heartbeat, etc)

Wikipedia - Hypermetabolism

1595035090677.png

sometexan84

Does anyone know anything about whether other viruses can cause this (aside from HHV-6), like Enterovirus B perhaps?

dreamydays

I am encouraged by this line of research and fair play to Dr Prusty for getting this far and making quick progress. I have been trying to get hold of some SS-31, but its very hard. Anyone else looking at this? Also bear in mind 90%+ of the population have HHV-6 latent, so any other infection could bring it out or have similar mechanisms of affecting mitochondria.

Based on the model I put together + my own anecdotal evidence - it looks like a diet of 40%-50% calories from fat is an optimal target. Severe ME/CFS cases may benefit from (temporary) clinical/traditional ketogenic diets (75%-80% fat), however I've seen the most improvement at the 40%-50% caloric fats range personally. That combined with antioxidant support + pulsed antivirals has put me on a solid road to recovery in 2020.

Hi ShephardK, I am slow to this thread but just wanted to ask: are you able to elaborate a bit on the antioxidant support + pulsed antivirals regime you briefly mentioned here? I haven't come across the idea of pulsed antivirals before (only the idea of a long-term, low dose approach) so I'm interested to learn more. Thanks in advance for any further info, but equally no problem at all if you'd prefer not to go into detail on your personal approach/experience.

Violeta

Autoimmunity is common in ME/CFS (50). Several autoantibodies are capable of inducing a proinflammatory state in target cells (51). Interestingly, HHV-6 is linked to several autoimmune diseases, including multiple sclerosis and Hashimoto thyroiditis (52). Autoantibodies against β2 adrenergic receptors (β2R) were found to be upregulated in a subset of patients with ME/CFS (53). Such Abs belong to a network of natural Abs against adrenergic, acetylcholine (cholinergic), and other GPCR receptors that were shown to be dysfunctional in various autoimmune diseases (54)

This is very interesting, but long, so I haven't read all of it yet, but I would like to say that this paragraph would seem to be how the vagus nerve is affected.

I know nothing of fighting autoimmunity; I am looking forward to reading the rest of the thread.

Last edited:

Violeta

@Hip, do you see any way that selenium would help correct any of the issues identified in Dr Prusty's paper?

Boba

The theory of autoimmune disease caused by viruses makes sense to me. However a certain genetic vulnerability plays a major role as well. Plus additional factors like stress.

The only thing I know about selenium is that people with Hashimoto’s are told to take 200mg of Selenium as well. I dunno if it‘s supporting the thyroid function or battles depletion by the disease.

Learner1

Hmm so this means the viruses turn on the autoimmunity, not the autoimmunity causes issues in the body which allow the viruses to replicate?
That's correct. Bacterial infections have been known to do so, too.
do you see any way that selenium would help correct any of the issues identified in Dr Prusty's paper?
The only thing I know about selenium is that people with Hashimoto’s are told to take 200mg of Selenium as well. I dunno if it‘s supporting the thyroid function or battles depletion by the disease.
Selenium is also needed for glutathione production. Glutathione is an important antioxidant that can be depleted along with vitamin C and other antioxidants in the oxidative and nitrosative stress that goes along with these viruses.

I was able to get improvement by:
  1. Supporting immune function
  2. Beating back herpes family viruses with Valcyte
  3. Using the Pall protocol and Seyfried/D'Agostino/Nicolson's mitochondrial correction protocol to feed nutrients to promote healthier mitochondria as they recycle (every 6 weeks or so)

Hip

@Hip, do you see any way that selenium would help correct any of the issues identified in Dr Prusty's paper?

You mean the fact that Dr Prusty found that when ME/CFS patient's blood was added to a cell line, the mitochondria in those cells fragmented?

I am not aware of selenium having any effect on mitochondrial fusion or fission (fragmentation).

But stearic acid / stearate promotes mitochondrial fusion, which is the opposite of fission, so might help reverse mitochondria fission. I am looking into trying some magnesium stearate for this purpose — see this thread.

A few ME/CFS patients are also looking into organizing a custom synthesis of certain currently unavailable experimental drugs like Mdivi-1 which inhibit fission.

Last edited: