• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

how to pronounce 'xand'

Min

How do we pronounce xand please?

Is it

ex-and

sand

ksand

zzzand

zee-and

or something different?

thanks!

Min

Thank you, but is that how the Americans pronounced z as 'zee', or is it z as at the end of the word 'buzz'?

sorry to still be muddled

Frickly

Min

Had to think about that one. The letter Z is pronounced Zee. When used in a word it is just a zzz sound as in zebra or zoo. The x is also pronounced with a zzz sound such as xylophone.:)

I think that xand sounds like zand.

Hope that made sense.

blackbird

caged.
I had to look up what it meant, but having seen that XAND are initials, I think saying each letter would be the best way.

I've gone back and forth between "ex-and" and "zand." Personally leaning toward "ex-and" at the moment.

Spelling out the letters, as in HIV, would be good, except that spelling out X-A-N-D seems cumbersome to me and doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. I kind of wish the new name was X-I-V. It would connote the seriousness of the disease, and be easier to pronounce. Everyone in media and society already has HIV down, so XIV would be easy for them to get, and to say. And since it's a retrovirus linked to immune deficiency, it makes sense: X-associated Immunodeficiency Virus.

As much as I love the new research and the prospect of us getting a new name, I wish that we could get an easy, understandable, non-confusing and serious name for this freaking illness. We've already had three decades of dealing with a terrible name, we don't need more confusion or difficulty, which I think XAND might present. But maybe all will go well with the new name. Hope so.

pardon my brain blip

I wasn't thinking straight (a common occurrence for me!) when I posted earlier about calling it XIV. That wouldn't make sense. XMRV is the retrovirus, as is HIV. What we're looking for, and what XAND would be, is a name that would describe the illness that results from the retrovirus, as AIDS is the result of HIV. I was all brain fogged and not thinking. Seems to me XAND is as good as anything, and at this point, just about anything is better than CFS.